PDA

View Full Version : Update #10: Anyone have a scanner they love?

AnnieW625
06-11-2017, 01:37 PM
I just had to buy a new non AIO Canon printer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HM0IVDY/ref=mp_s_a_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1497201704&sr=1-32&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=41AHfErXovL&ref=plSrch) and I went with the one I linked because it takes the same ink we have in our current Canon. We don't need the fax capability, but we still might want a scanner. I am tired of $60 printers dying on us so I upped my budget a bit.

We would mainly use the scanner for occasional photos, documents, and maybe receipts, but I don't want one that is just for receipts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dcclerk
06-12-2017, 12:18 AM
My ScanSnap by Fujitsu is so good that I have one at my office and one at home. It is not a bargain but it makes my life so much better that I couldn't imagine life without it now. I have the bigger full-featured desktop model, but my understanding is that the cheaper portable one is very good as well.

LBW
06-12-2017, 06:59 AM
The printer doesn't scan?

AnnieW625
06-12-2017, 10:53 AM
My ScanSnap by Fujitsu is so good that I have one at my office and one at home. It is not a bargain but it makes my life so much better that I couldn't imagine life without it now. I have the bigger full-featured desktop model, but my understanding is that the cheaper portable one is very good as well.

So what makes this so special? I am guessing the feed mechanism so you don't have to open and wait for individual scans? Even the mobile version is more than I want to spend.

The printer doesn't scan?

Yes. I am tired of the gargantuan office printers that are less than $100 and made for home use that don't even last two years (I have had two in four years; my first Canon Pixma AIO lasted from around 08 to 2013, since then I have had an HP Photosmart, and a Canon Pixma and the Canon lasted barely 18 months....it started eating paper and overloading it with ink which made the paper hard to remove from the paper jam.....the scanner portion still works okay). The one I got had very solid reviews on Amazon. I thought about getting a laser printer, but I still wanted the option of color for the kids projects. I also thought about this Epson (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NA8VVT3/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497278507&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=epson+ecotank&dpPl=1&dpID=4156TLFVobL&ref=plSrch) as well, but the price was a little more than I wanted to spend and I still had a bunch of Canon ink left, and was happy to find one that took the same ink. I will say the Canon took way less ink than the HP; I only had to buy replacement ink once at just over a year of having the machine, and I still have a bunch of it left.

Dcclerk
06-12-2017, 09:34 PM
So what makes this so special? I am guessing the feed mechanism so you don't have to open and wait for individual scans? Even the mobile version is more than I want to spend.

Yes that, and kind of everything else. It is smooth, fast, goes where it is supposed to go, has lots of options for processing, and is something my 8 year old can easily handle. It scans front and back, figures out how to handle lots of different sizes, etc. It just works well. Very few office products do I love as much.

That said, if your OP is all that you plan on using it for, I would just get a scanner app for my phone, and call it a day. They are fine enough to get most small jobs done. Then, you can get a standalone cheap laser printer that is way cheaper and again, just works well. My favorite is Scanner Pro, but Genius Scan, Evernote, and a ton of others all work well, too. I make everyone who works with me install one!

abh5e8
06-12-2017, 10:04 PM
If your old AIO still works as a scanner, why not just keep it for the scanning function?

AnnieW625
06-13-2017, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the phone scanner recs; I hadn't even thought about that. I didn't get a laser printer because I needed color and a color laser printer is way out of my budget.

If your old AIO still works as a scanner, why not just keep it for the scanning function?

That is the current plan, but I still wanted recommendations.

LBW
06-13-2017, 08:21 AM
I'd use my phone/iPad then, and use AirPrint to print the "scan" on paper. I don't even know if you'd need a scan App. You might be able to get away with taking photos.

I had a SnapScan a while ago when publishers still mailed out print proofs for editing. It was great for high volume scanning. It doesn't seem worth it for what you need to do.

AnnieW625
06-19-2017, 02:02 AM
Update: so the Canon printer arrived and while assembling it the front paper output door came off and I couldn't get it back on fully so I decided to return it, plus it was a little larger than I thought it would be. I ended up getting an Epson XP 640 at Target for $79 (as it was on sale from the normal $149) and it has a scanner and it is a much more manageable size. It took a few tries for it to get hooked up to the wifi and for some reason it wants me to put paper in the second tray (photo and envelope tray), but if I push okay it lets me print on normal 8x10 paper anyway. Hopefully it works for a good long time.

musicalgrl
06-19-2017, 01:01 PM
I bought a ScanSnap at the recommendation of this board a few years ago and we love it. It was way more than I was expecting to pay at the time, but for high volume scanning, it's indispensable. And also super helpful for everything else.