PDA

View Full Version : Allowance to charity question

trcy
06-13-2017, 09:14 AM
In the thread about allowances, I noticed some of you have part of your DC's allowance go to charity. I like this idea. I am in the process of redoing DD allowance. I am going to try to follow the article someone posted and pay her $6 week, 70% to spend, 20% to save, & 10% to charity. So that's $0.60 a week to charity. How do you handle that portion of it? Do you donate weekly or save it until it's a significant amount? How do you decide which organization, or does your DC decide? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

c&j04
06-13-2017, 09:17 AM
We rounded up to $1 for simplicity. DS puts it in the basket at Sunday School.

carolinamama
06-13-2017, 10:18 AM
We are putting the 10% aside until there is a larger sum. At that point, we will discuss with each child where they want their money to go. There is no set amount to reach first, I want my kids to see how it adds up when set aside consistently.

Our PTA received a donation of $3 yesterday from a 1st grade student. It made me wonder if this was her charity contribution from allowance. So sweet!

kdeunc
06-13-2017, 11:39 AM
We do 50% spend, 25% save and 25% charity. I keep track on my phone and the kids decide the charity and when they dontate. They have supported Jump Rope For Heart at their school and various events for an organization that works with children with special needs. (My niece has various special needs and has participated in activities with this org.)

specialp
06-13-2017, 01:06 PM
They decide. Often they save up for a specific goal amount to donate. Sometimes it's weekly at church (always a $1), coins into the jar at the pancake house, charities at school, but they've also used that money to buy things to donate like food for the food pantry or little toys you put in those shoebox donations (forget the name of the organization) at Christmas.

mm123
06-13-2017, 01:23 PM
In the thread about allowances, I noticed some of you have part of your DC's allowance go to charity. I like this idea. I am in the process of redoing DD allowance. I am going to try to follow the article someone posted and pay her $6 week, 70% to spend, 20% to save, & 10% to charity. So that's $0.60 a week to charity. How do you handle that portion of it? Do you donate weekly or save it until it's a significant amount? How do you decide which organization, or does your DC decide? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

We put coins in 'Tzedaka' boxes (Hebrew for charity) every Friday night, before we light the Sabbath candles. We've been doing that since the girls were very little. We found that at such a young age, they didn't really 'get' where the money was going to, if we donated it to an organization, etc. So, it needed to be a bit more concrete.

We did what one of the above posters does. When the coin boxes get full, we take all the coins to a grocery store, and put them in the 'coinstar' machine. When we know how much money we have (usually around $100), we go around the store and fill up the shopping cart with enough stuff that we think will equal our coins. The girls love picking out the things, and we guide them regarding what would be most helpful, useful, etc. Then we buy it, and put it right into the food bank bins at the front of the store, and they have always seemed to understand who it's going to. They're older now (7 and 9), but we still do this on a semi-regular basis.

belovedgandp
06-13-2017, 10:28 PM
We don't have a regular thing. They get monthly allowance and always put something in their share portion. I'm pretty liberal on what I let them call share. It covers the fundraising bake sales at school and raffle tickets at other fundraisers. They have pledge siblings and neighbors for different walk/read-a-thon type things with the funds.

We're involved in 4-5 school and/or church service projects that are important to us each year and they use their money to buy whatever may be requested as part of those drives or donate directly.

AustenFan
06-17-2017, 11:54 PM
We have pouches in which we store their money when they get their allowance, and we'll save up the tithe for weeks or months until there's a ministry that strikes us. A couple years ago, they gave their tithes to a VBS group buying mosquito nets for an orphanage in central Africa. This Easter, our church announced that they would be giving 100% of the offering to go towards foster care services in our city so my kids saved and brought in their bags that day--then when we as a congregation packed duffel bags for kids removed from their homes, my kids were like "maybe this is the one that my tithe bought!" I loved that. Since our family is getting ready to foster, I'm pretty sure that their giving will be aimed in that direction for the next several years. There are so many amazing groups we're learning about, and I want my kids to feel a sense of teamwork and ownership with them.