PDA

View Full Version : camp issues: what should (or shouldnt) i do?

eagle
06-14-2017, 09:32 PM
this is not a serious issue, but i wanted to ask about others thoughts...

i have not witnessed this personally but my son says another boy has: thrown my sons water bottle away and taken my sons hat off of his head and had called my son a "coward". my son said that he retaliated by throwing water and ice at the boy. he chased after the boy for his hat but didnt do anything about the coward thing.

the camp is only 3 hours (its soccer camp) and when i went to pick up 15 minutes before it ended, i saw them scuffling during the end of the day matches. i _thought_ they were just playing, dueling. i yelled at my son from far away "focus on the game!" and he did but he soon went back to kicking / sparring with the other boy. then the camp kids were all told to gather around the pavilion for the end of the day pep talk and i noticed that my son was right next to the other boy and i finally realized they werent playing but angrily fighting.

it was pick up time, so even though the coaches were still talking, i pulled my son out away from the other child and we sat behind the coaches and listened.

we went to our car and at the car my son told me about what happened. he asked me what "coward" meant.

we had a talk about things to try: avoid the boy. get your stuff back and ask the other kid not to take stuff. go to the coach. if the boy approaches, to go the opposite way.

we talked about why we are in camp: 1) to try to have fun, to 2) learn more soccer. if there are other kids who dont want to have fun or who arent interested in soccer, to stay away from them.

then it was about 15 min after pickup started, i went to the coach and asked him if he knew the boys were scuffling. the coach said he was aware of it but had them make up and shake hands. i asked the coach if he was aware that they were scuffling during the closing talk and he said he was not aware. i asked the coach to try as much as possible to separate. i also said i understood that since theres only like 12 kids, it might be hard, but just to keep an eye on things to make sure things dont escalate. i also told the coach that i would talk to my son about strategies to cope with issues.

ii dont know if hes really being picked on, but i do think that its very possible he is. however, its hard to trust a lot of what he says. when my husband asked my son how the day went, my son said "great!" i told my husband afterwards what happened and he asked my son again what happened at camp and my son said "nothing, it was fun!" and shut down the conversation.

so im trying by having these talks about the big picture.

some strategies i had were: if someone tells you that youre a coward or that youre a scaredy cat you say "yeah, i am a coward, so what?" or to ignore. i also said that if they continually call you names, to go to the coach. are there better ways to deal with name calling?

i also tried to explain that retaliation is not good. so to stop with the throwing of the water, to stop with the kicking and trying to get even. i told him i understand its not fair when someone else takes your stuff, calls your names or kicks you, but that you try not to kick back, dont call them names, etc.

its life, i told him. there are always going to be people who are mean. just do your best to avoid them and try to enjoy whatever it is youre doing.

really, there are only two days left. i considered briefly pulling him out completely since in all honesty hes not learning that much. also its hot. but i also want him to learn how to deal with other kids if they are picking on him.

want to know if i should go back tomorrow and stay the whole three hours from the sidelines, not get involved (not pull my son out, etc) but just to observe. i have not stayed and generally as a rule, i dont stay during camps. its my time to clean and run errands...

thoughts? strategies? criticisms of what ive said or done? i welcome it all... i dont have many friends here to talk with about this sort of stuff.

eagle
06-15-2017, 06:47 AM
:(. i guess i need to learn how to edit questions. maybe teres too much info here... i feel super sad about 'this whole thing. i know that people are mean but i was never very good at dealing w mean kids. even now i felt like my best defense is to ignore.. i guess i'd better try to read some books to see what others say about how to deal w bullies or mean kids

Green_Tea
06-15-2017, 08:03 AM
You've handled it just fine. Don't sit on the sidelines. Your son seems to be less upset about it than you are. Just encourage him to approach the coach for help if he needs it, and ride the next two days out.

klwa
06-15-2017, 08:25 AM
I think sending him back is the right thing. It seems that he held his own yesterday, and that's an important skill to learn. I don't think I'd have told him to say "Yeah, I'm a coward" just because that would stick in my craw to say, but if it work for you/him that's the important thing.

And I agree with PP that this appears to be bothering you more than him since he felt like it was a great day.

SnuggleBuggles
06-15-2017, 09:18 AM
Sorry, I read but didn't have a good idea. I like pp's replies though. I hope the day goes well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eagle
06-15-2017, 09:40 AM
thank you all. yesterday he was on the verge of crying. athave wve shed a single tear or two from anger and frustration. so when he tells my husband that he had fun it perplexed me and i find it hard to trust but yes i maybe feeling much worse about all of this than he is. last night even began to wonder why or how i could possibly had these kids when i barely have my own **** together. i sometimes regret bringing them in when u don't know how to show them how to best deal w the harder parts of life

jgenie
06-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Hugs to you eagle. You did fine - I would have done pretty much the same thing. We all struggle at different times and with different things. That's why I love this board. It's a great place for advice, BTDT, as well as a safe place to sound off when we need to get things out and off our shoulders. I hope your son has a better day today!!

123LuckyMom
06-15-2017, 12:13 PM
thank you all. yesterday he was on the verge of crying. athave wve shed a single tear or two from anger and frustration. so when he tells my husband that he had fun it perplexed me and i find it hard to trust but yes i maybe feeling much worse about all of this than he is. last night even began to wonder why or how i could possibly had these kids when i barely have my own **** together. i sometimes regret bringing them in when u don't know how to show them how to best deal w the harder parts of life

We ALL struggle, and I think sharing that struggle and admitting how hard it is with your kids is part of the teaching process. I've apologized plenty of times for having a tantrum or not behaving in the most grown-up of manners. I think it's good for kids to realize they're not the only ones with feeling or the only ones who struggle to manage them. It's part of being human!

I'm sorry your son is having these struggles at camp. I'd ride it out, too. I'd talk to your son about what it means to be brave-- since he was called a coward. Being brave ISN'T about not being afraid. Everyone gets scared. Being brace is about being afraid, but not letting your fear stop you. He's very, very brace for going to this camp, trying to stay away from this child, and trying to focus on soccer. He's in a tough situation, but, even though it bothers him, he's not letting that stop him. Good for him!!!

Also, you can talk about hurtful comments and explain that they are more about the people who make them than those they are made to. I tell my kids, "You love cookie dough ice cream, right? If someone started telling you cookie dough ice cream is disgusting and tastes like dirt, you would recognize that that is just that person's opinion. It doesn't tell you anything much about cookie dough ice cream, which you still know tastes great to you. Their words, which are very rude, wouldn't convince you to stop eating your favorite ice cream, right? Mean words about who you are are the same. You know who you are. You know you're cookie dough ice cream and very, very yummy. Another person's opinion doesn't change that at all. Of course it's rude and hurtful, but it isn't true, and it doesn't change anything about you."

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

niccig
06-15-2017, 01:02 PM
I think you handled it fine. You gave DS some strategies and alerted the coach to the issue. See how the next day goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

rlu
06-15-2017, 02:58 PM
so, boys respond differently to their dads than their moms. I noticed it more when DS got older, some things he comes to me about, others to DH. I think it may be the way I approach things is different than DH, and maybe how I react to what he is telling me differs from how DH reacts.

Also, since your DS had that talk with you about camp, maybe it was no longer on his mind so he responds fun/fine to your DH later. It's hard to tell, he's about 4 and some things don't weigh on them like it does adults. OR, since you say he "shut down the conversation" with DH, maybe he wants to handle it with you.

I think sending him back is good - you alerted the coach to the possible issue and gave your DS some strategies and good advice about retaliation. If this was going to be a summer-long camp or at school, you might give him other strategies about dealing with name calling (DS found having several friends/acquaintances he can hang with helps when dealing with "mean" behavior) but this is short-term.

eagle
06-15-2017, 03:09 PM
thank you all. went to camp at 1130 to observe for half an hour and from far away i could see that nothing was happening. i asked the coach how today went and he said that there were no issues. i guess they were kept apart or stayed apart. i asked ds how the day was and he said "great! i had fun!" so was happy to hear that. tonight maybe ill talk about being brave. i wish i had thought of that yesterday! the opposite of being a coward is being brave. and i like the ice cream opinion idea, too, to show how opinions are just opinions and not facts.

thank you all for being patient and for listening and helping!

TwinFoxes
06-15-2017, 09:55 PM
I think he did fine, you did fine (with the possible exception of telling him to say he's a coward), and I see no reason to bring it up again. It's in the past. I kind of feel like not every little bump has to be made into a huge life lesson for them to take with them into adulthood. This was pretty minor. I think I'd just move on.

niccig
06-15-2017, 11:41 PM
I'd move on. A similar situation will happen again and you can reinforce the lesson then.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

123LuckyMom
06-16-2017, 08:21 AM
I'd move on. A similar situation will happen again and you an reinforce the lesson then.

I agree. Bringing it up again might make it into a bigger deal than it was for your son. There will be other opportunities, unfortunately, to soothe hurt feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)