PDA

View Full Version : How to be more intentional this summer

niccig
06-15-2017, 11:04 PM
I'm officially on summer break. Typically on breaks from work (I work for a school district), DS and I will be super lazy and then have a few very rushed days to get things done, and then I feel guilty we didn't do anything special and still have a long to do list.

Unlike most summers, we're not traveling. I want to get several projects done at home and for work next school year, do some fun activities with DS during the week, keep weekends to family activities as DH isn't taking time off, start exercising, read as many books as I can, take DS to math tutoring, have DS work on his writing etc, cook again as kitchen remodel is nearly finished etc

So how to get initiative and momentum, when I'm tired and could easily do nothing?!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
06-15-2017, 11:11 PM
We really only do well if we officially schedule something. Either plans with others or signed up for classes/ activities (free, paid...). Maybe join a book club, for example. Many libraries have drop in ones so you don't have to try and find a social group to do it with. Book trips. We just do better when we have anchors on our calendar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niccig
06-15-2017, 11:52 PM
I think I need to do this - even if the schedule is set by me. I'm tired after a long year, and I'll have downtime. I'll enjoy it more if not feeling guilty that haven't gotten things done.

We're nearly finished the remodel and I have to set the house up, so I have plenty of things to do. I'm very good at procrastinating and before I know it, the day is mostly over. I also feel like this is one of last summers when DS will want to still hang out with me and have the time to do it. He's talking about being a camp counselor in training at the summer camp he went to on days I still had to work. Before I know it, he'll be too busy to hang out with mom.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

KpbS
06-16-2017, 12:28 AM
Yes, I think you need a solid week of unscheduled relaxation to start things off right!

After that, I would make a loose schedule for you and DS for "at home days" and activity days. Figure out which days are which, what times you will run errands/have activities, etc. and make a schedule about when you wish to be up, finished breakfast, completed daily chores, etc.

Happy Summer!

lalasmama
06-16-2017, 12:48 AM
As PP already said, SCHEDULE!

DH is a teacher, and off for summer, too. He could sleep all day and watch TV/movies all night, and DD could while away her time in front of screens and be perfectly happy.

... However, that's the LAST thing our family needs! We need the to-do list, we need the schedule, we need the routine and structure, or mama and kiddo get seriously cranky!

So, in our case, DD has dance class once a week. On that afternoon, DH and DD will pick up DD's BFF so they can run around town for a few hours. There's 2 three-day dance camps. And then we will build up our other things around that--DH and DD will do some target practice, some fishing; DH does the cleaning all summer (bless his heart!). We have a couple of weekend trips.

Having some sort of plan to stick to really helps all of us!

niccig
06-16-2017, 03:19 AM
Yes, I think you need a solid week of unscheduled relaxation to start things off right!

After that, I would make a loose schedule for you and DS for "at home days" and activity days. Figure out which days are which, what times you will run errands/have activities, etc. and make a schedule about when you wish to be up, finished breakfast, completed daily chores, etc.

Happy Summer!

Having a set time to be up and ready for day will be key. DS and I will stay in bed after DH leaves and then the day really doesn't get started.

As PP already said, SCHEDULE!

DH is a teacher, and off for summer, too. He could sleep all day and watch TV/movies all night, and DD could while away her time in front of screens and be perfectly happy !

Eek [emoji51] this is us too. Often it's a "let's not tell Dad what time we got out of bed" kinda day.

DS's weekly activities are in the afternoon, so I'll have to figure out s way to get us going in the morning

nfceagles
06-16-2017, 06:37 AM
No solutions, just want to say I have the same problem. I want to fill the summer with lots of fun adventures, but never have the motivation to do them on any given day. We live an hour+ from the beach and always love it once we're there, but it takes just enough work packing and getting there that I never feel Like going TODAY, always feel like I'll go another day. Then suddenly the summers over.

klwa
06-16-2017, 08:29 AM
I think that PP's idea of a week with nothing is a good plan.

For me, I'd need to have a fairly structured plan that could then be altered as needed. But, say, Monday morning each week is for home projects. Tuesday is fun activity day with DS. Wednesday morning is work projects. That type thing. And set aside an hour or two every day for reading. DS can read too at that time, y'all can do read aloud time between the two of you, or DS can play quietly elsewhere. And, obviously, if the fun thing DS wants to do is only offered on Wednesday afternoon, one week you swap up the activity day with the work project day. That kind of thing.

lizzywednesday
06-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Wow, yeah, this is us too.

If I do not plan specific things to do, I space out and get completely disorganized and then I'm left with DD in her underpants mucking around on her tablet while I lose track of time.

DD has swim lessons that start up the week after school lets out, so that's one bit of our day planned until they're finished (it's a short session.)

Kids Bowl Free starts up the same week, as does the library's summer reading program. My library system has summer reading for kids, teens, and adults, so maybe yours does too? The theme here is "Build a Better World," which might be an interesting theme for you two to explore this summer.

Then she has summer school four half-days per week until we go on vacation with DH's extended family. (With, as in, we are all renting places in the same shore town within walking distance of each other, but we are not all staying in the same house, though we get together every day and most nights.)

But we haven't made any plans to do anything for the three days after school lets out, except catch a matinee of Cars 3. I kind of want her to be able to veg out for a little bit while I get my head back on straight.

niccig
06-16-2017, 05:02 PM
Wow, yeah, this is us too.

If I do not plan specific things to do, I space out and get completely disorganized and then I'm left with DD in her underpants mucking around on her tablet while I lose track of time.

This is so me - so glad I'm not the only one!!

Today wasn't too bad as I had to talk to contractor at 10 then I had an appointment at 11, so I had to get up and dressed.

I think I'll set a time to be ready for the day and plan what to do for first few hours. Mornings are danger time for me as if I'm not doing things by 9, I can just procrastinate away the entire day. I will need to be in bed at decent time, as over holidays I tend to stay up way too late, so then I'll sleep in. DH leaves for work about 8:30 so I can set to be up with him in the morning.

To be honest, I'm a lazy person who is also type A - I want things to be all organized and together as I get stressed when things are cluttered, but I don't want to put in the time.

belovedgandp
06-16-2017, 05:04 PM
We make a really big wish list of activities for the summer. Those are fun things. As simple as ice cream places and parks up to amusement park visits make the list. We don't do it all, but it's fun to see.

I also make a list of specific projects for me and then "life skill" goals for the kids. My kids are 13, 10 and 7 - their summer life skills have been lawn mowing, laundry, keyboarding, cooking three meals, instrument practice and school summer packets.

Each week follows a loose structure - Monday is appointment, laundry, cleaning, and evening classes day. Tuesday and Thursday are big outing days. Wednesday is smaller outing day and cook dinner day before night classes. Friday is up in the air. DH is game for a few outings, but we typically run around during the week and stay close to home on weekends. Those are home projects and pool days.

niccig
06-16-2017, 05:09 PM
No solutions, just want to say I have the same problem. I want to fill the summer with lots of fun adventures, but never have the motivation to do them on any given day. We live an hour+ from the beach and always love it once we're there, but it takes just enough work packing and getting there that I never feel Like going TODAY, always feel like I'll go another day. Then suddenly the summers over.

Yes this is what happens. It's so much work to get out the door that it's just easier to not go.

lizzywednesday
06-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Yes this is what happens. It's so much work to get out the door that it's just easier to not go.

I totally understand this feeling! Truly, I do!

I find that, for me, if I have a planned outing, I am more likely to make it happen. Which means I make it easier for myself to actually DO the thing I planned to do.

As an example: we're about 40 minutes from the nearest beach. If I planned on it, I know that I could totally make it happen - I'd happily pack DD's and my beach bag (everything except food) and stick it in the back of my car the night before, so all I have to do in the morning is make lunches, throw on my swimsuit and slather us in sunscreen so we can hit the beach before parking gets too crazy.

Breaking it down into chunks - chunk 1 is packing the bag and sticking it into the car; chunk 2 is making lunches; chunk 3 is slathering up with sunscreen, chucking on our swimsuits; chunk 4 is hitting the road - really helps make it easier.

We've also planned daylong outings to amusement parks (we're roughly an hour away from Sesame Place, for example) with my brother & sister-in-law and their kids - having to meet up with other people increases the odds that I will do the thing as well. I made a commitment; I must keep that commitment. I usually pack our bag and stick it in the car the night before as well. Again, I make it as easy as possible for us to do the thing we want to do.