PDA

View Full Version : Pierced ear redo advice

musicalgrl
06-19-2017, 01:19 PM
DD (age 8) had her ears pierced 3 months ago and one of them is clearly not straight. To the point where I can see the one earring back below the earlobe and I think she'll have difficulty getting earrings in, ongoing. I took her back to the place where we had it done and the woman was very apologetic. She recommended letting the one hole close and then re-piercing through the same hole to get it straight. Naturally I have concerns about this as I don't want to traumatize her and I'm also worried that somehow the two holes in the back will merge into one. If anyone has any btdt advice in this area I'd love to hear it. Willing to consider all options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carolinacool
06-19-2017, 01:27 PM
When I got my second holes in eighth grade, they were crooked. I was told to take one out and let it heal. Then they re-pierced. In that case, though, I got a completely new hole. I think if you let it heal enough, it should be fine. Full disclosure: I had mine done at Claire's with a gun. Did the woman use a gun or a needle?

basil
06-19-2017, 01:31 PM
This happened to me when I was 10, though I think my mom took it out before 3 months had passed.

I don't remember how long I had the one earring. In my 5th grade picture I'm wearing my hair all combed over to one side because of that though.

Not sure what piercing through the same hole means. I would think it will heal completely.

pastrygirl
06-19-2017, 01:32 PM
I had a hole close up once and eventually got it pierced again. It was fine. I did all but the last with a gun, but will only have it done with a needle from now on.

musicalgrl
06-19-2017, 01:51 PM
She had hers done with a gun. The first one is perfect but the second at an angle.

So it's less traumatic with a needle? That seems like it would take longer, but I've never personally seen it done that way. I had mine done with a gun a million years ago.

JBaxter
06-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Yes less traumatic with the needle. I had mine done as a teen and they were uneven I let them grow closed and went to a tattoo/ piercing place and had them re done. People who pierce for a living seem to be better than a clerk at a mall shop that was trained with a gun. Piercing needles are hollow I believe and is suppose to be less tissue trauma than a post slammed through the ear lobe.

AnnieW625
06-19-2017, 03:57 PM
I had DD1's pierced with a needle and she had no issues other than they continued to get infected so I took out the studs and put in small gold hoops at about the one month mark, and now over a year later she only wears gold post earrings. It took just as long with a needle as a gun.

I had both mine done with a gun and they have been fine. I didn't go the needle route the second time (I was 23) because the only place that did them in my small city was a tattoo parlor and I can stand the sound of the tattoo needle.

ETA: the lady who pierced my second holes was in her mid 50s and worked at a Merle Norman studio; the lady who pierced mine when I was 10 at a mall shop (not Claire's) was in her early 20s and had six holes in one ear. Both did an excellent job. A tattoo artist without any visible tattoos pierced DD1.

ArizonaGirl
06-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Yes less traumatic with the needle. I had mine done as a teen and they were uneven I let them grow closed and went to a tattoo/ piercing place and had them re done. People who pierce for a living seem to be better than a clerk at a mall shop that was trained with a gun. Piercing needles are hollow I believe and is suppose to be less tissue trauma than a post slammed through the ear lobe.

Yes to all of this.

sariana
06-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Hmm, my holes never close up. Ever. Interesting to hear about other experiences. (They do get a "film" over them that has to be "pierced" if I go a long time without earrings. But I've gone years without and still have my holes.)

m4nash
06-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Hmm, my holes never close up. Ever. Interesting to hear about other experiences. (They do get a "film" over them that has to be "pierced" if I go a long time without earrings. But I've gone years without and still have my holes.)

Were you really young when your ears were pierced? Mine were pierced when I was a baby and they never close up no matter how long I go without wearing earrings.

Pennylane
06-19-2017, 10:12 PM
This also happened to my Dd when she was young . My dh took her to some mall place to have them done and they did an awful job. She was 7 i think . The hole took forever to close completely even though she did not wear earrings for 7 years. We finally went and had them re pierced last summer. We took her to a place that did it with needles. Much less painful and it turned out perfect !

Ann

ETA : I should also say they had to pierce it next to the original one not in the same spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

musicalgrl
06-19-2017, 11:47 PM
Glad to hear a few success stories. I know she's anxious to keep wearing earrings so we will likely let the one close up as quickly as possible and then get it redone by a place that will do needles. Thanks for all of the feedback.