PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever walked out of a movie?

TwinFoxes
06-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Because it sucked? Just curious, I don't know what made me think of this. I think I was looking at just released movies and thought the Mummy looked awful, I doubt I could sit through it. The only movie I remember walking out of was some horror movie in HS, I can't even remember the name of it, but there was a violent sexual assault and my friends and I were like "we're out" and got our money back.

trcy
06-19-2017, 05:52 PM
I haven't, but I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Kindra178
06-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Yes! A ton. I don't have time to sit through things I hate. Braveheart, Contact and various epic war movies.

anonomom
06-19-2017, 06:07 PM
No, but I'm also really picky about what I go see in a theater. If I see 2-3 non-kid movies in a year, that's a lot.

AngB
06-19-2017, 06:21 PM
I wish I had walked out of the Lord of the Rings (3? I think.) But I was there with DH and his friend while we were out of town. I hated it. (Seeing the first two might have helped but probably not bc those type of movies in general bore me.) I am more picky about what I will see in theaters now.

AnnieW625
06-19-2017, 06:23 PM
No I don't think so, and I sat through Little Nicky, and the Batman movie with Val Kilmer as Batman. DH says he thought about leaving Starship Troopers, but that was within the first month or so we were dating and he didn't want to leave me in the theater. I told him I liked it even though it was campy; I felt like there was some historical parallels between it and WW2.

I was completely done with Dances With Wolves though about half way through and I am pretty sure I fell asleep at parts. I was 13, almost 14. I have been pretty picky about sitting in a movie theater for more than 2 hours since that experience though. I was with my parents so I couldn't leave.

The only movie I have left early as an adult was Wonder Woman and that was because DD2 didn't like it and was scared by the last 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

123LuckyMom
06-19-2017, 06:59 PM
I walked out of War of the Roses, which was a comedy about a vicious divorce. I just didn't find it at all funny, and I couldn't stomach it. There might have been abuse to a pet. I don't remember, but I definitely walked out, and that's the one and only time I ever have. I would again, though, if the movie was really awful or disturbing.

specialp
06-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Yes, Legends of the Fall. I can't remember anything about it other than I was so bored.

Corie
06-19-2017, 07:57 PM
My husband and I walked out of The Nightmare Before Christmas.

JBaxter
06-19-2017, 08:00 PM
No I generally read a few reviews before I go so I have a good idea of what I'm watching.

SnuggleBuggles
06-19-2017, 08:25 PM
Twice. Misery- I couldn't take the suspense. Daredevil with Ben Affleck bc it was horrible.

SnuggleBuggles
06-19-2017, 08:26 PM
Yes! A ton. I don't have time to sit through things I hate. Braveheart, Contact and various epic war movies.

I wish I'd left Contact. I don't remember anything about the movie other than hating it.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-19-2017, 08:52 PM
No. I usually look at reviews and am choosy about what I go see.

There's been movies i haven't been a fan of, but never felt compelled to walk out of a movie yet. I've also never fallen asleep at a movie. Maybe it's just my personality, but whenever I go see a movie in a theater it is very easy for me to pay attention, even the movie may not be the most captivating. I've had a few friends though who fall asleep through 90% of the movies they watch (even in theaters), which is mind-boggling to me. I may fall asleep watching a movie at home if it's boring and/or late at night, but at a theater I could not fall asleep if i tried.

I'm shocked some hated Contact..that was one of my favorite movies (DH's too..i think we have the soundtrack!). I admit i'm a huge Jodie Foster fan, plus anything with women in a lead role that is STEM-related :)

i am also a fan of horror movies, and i love anything with suspense. horror movies can often be poorly done to the point of being a bit comical but even then i find it entertaining I guess.

maybe if it was a really bad movie like Gigli or some other movie that was notoriously bad I would walk out..but then I would never go see a movie like that in the first place.

ETA: just re-read the OP. ..wow, so they already did a remake of THe Mummy?? Wow, i didn't realize i was that old, i was in college when the original one (w/ Brandon Fraser) came out. OMG, feel so old now.... lol

nfceagles
06-19-2017, 08:55 PM
My now DH and I walked out of the Matrix many years ago. That's the only one I can think of. We were bored by it. Always surprised it turned into the cult hit it did. Sometimes tempted to see it again to see what the fuss is about but haven't.

niccig
06-19-2017, 09:03 PM
No I generally read a few reviews before I go so I have a good idea of what I'm watching.

This is DH. He'll read reviews or knows someone who worked on the movie. We were with another couple, the DH works in same industry, and the movie we were going to see was sold out. It took the 2 of them forever to figure out what to see instead. Me, I'm less picky, and expect movie to be mildly entertaining. I won't see any horror, so that kind of movie I wouldn't be in the theater to see

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

JBaxter
06-19-2017, 09:20 PM
This is DH. He'll read reviews or knows someone who worked on the movie. We were with another couple, the DH works in same industry, and the movie we were going to see was sold out. It took the 2 of them forever to figure out what to see instead. Me, I'm less picky, and expect movie to be mildly entertaining. I won't see any horror, so that kind of movie I wouldn't be in the theater to see

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

A neighbor took his older teens and 7 yr old to see Deadpool thinking it was a super hero movie. He spent half the time covering the kids eyes and ears.

BananaMama
06-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Never walked out, but I've taken many a movie theater nap. Notably, I snooze through Erin Brochovitch, as well as a number of kids movies like Angry Birds and the new Charlie Brown movie, among many others.

TwinFoxes
06-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Daredevil with Ben Affleck bc it was horrible.

OMG, I gave DH crap for YEARS for dragging me to see Daredevil. That movie was paaaaainful.

TwinFoxes
06-19-2017, 09:29 PM
ETA: just re-read the OP. ..wow, so they already did a remake of THe Mummy?? Wow, i didn't realize i was that old, i was in college when the original one (w/ Brandon Fraser) came out. OMG, feel so old now.... lol

Well, one of the criticisms has been "why did this need to be remade so soon". So don't feel bad. :) In fact, I didn't even realized it was supposed to be a remake of the Brendan Fraser franchise, I thought it was something completely different until I read the reviews.

elbenn
06-19-2017, 09:33 PM

Yep. I don't go to very many movies in the theater and prefer to watch them on video. Maybe because it's easier to "walk out" of the movie?

cvanbrunt
06-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Yes, Tron and Face/Off.

cagey
06-19-2017, 10:15 PM
Never walked out, but I've taken many a movie theater nap. .

Me too! These days, dark room where I'm sitting and the kids (if they're with me) are quiet, I always catch a few z's. if the movie was horrid, less of an excuse to try and rally to pay attention, lol

meggie t
06-19-2017, 10:23 PM
We don't got to the movies much. In 13 years, DH and I have seen maybe 5 movies in the theatre. One that we both wanted to walk out of but didn't was Sideways. We kept waiting for it to improve. It didn't. We both hated it.

niccig
06-19-2017, 10:35 PM
A neighbor took his older teens and 7 yr old to see Deadpool thinking it was a super hero movie. He spent half the time covering the kids eyes and ears.

Ok that could've been me. I really don't pay attention to movie marketing (shh don't tell DH as it pays our mortgage) unless it's something DH is working on and as he usually has a few projects at the same time, I get the projects confused ("wait, you're not talking about the new Netflix show, or the independent movie about AI? What project? Oh the one you worked on 3 months ago and recut the flashback scenes, that is now back with more changes, Yeah, I remember all about that one. Who's in it again? Oh, no big names... yeah yeah I remember it?! [emoji51])

I thought Deadpool was a regular superhero movie too, but DH clued me in. We didn't take DS. For a long time, we had to be careful what movies DS watched, so I've always left that up to DH as he knows about most new movies through work or asks a friend who knows the movie.

niccig
06-19-2017, 10:36 PM
Me too! These days, dark room where I'm sitting and the kids (if they're with me) are quiet, I always catch a few z's. if the movie was horrid, less of an excuse to try and rally to pay attention, lol

If I'm in a reclining chair, DS takes bets how long before I start to snore!

ehmom
06-19-2017, 10:40 PM
DH and I walked out of I Am Legend because the suspense was giving us a heart attack :) We switched theaters over to Michael Clayton which was just about to start, and it was so good!

melwe
06-19-2017, 11:19 PM
I'm shocked some hated Contact..that was one of my favorite movies (DH's too..i think we have the soundtrack!). I admit i'm a huge Jodie Foster fan, plus anything with women in a lead role that is STEM-related :)

I loved this movie too for the same reasons.

But no I can't remember walking out of a movie in a theater.

AnnieW625
06-20-2017, 12:21 AM
I too was surprised about a Mummy remake and this one looks much more serious.

Twice. Misery- I couldn't take the suspense. Daredevil with Ben Affleck bc it was horrible.

Stayed in the theater for all of Daredevil which DH and I saw on our honeymoon in Hawaii (it rained about 10" that day). I knew there was something up with Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner when I saw that movie.

rin
06-20-2017, 12:29 AM
Absolutely. Life is too short to sit through crappy movies!

I don't go out to the movies much and pretty much always screen with reviews, but have definitely hit a few over the years that just weren't doing it for me. Saving Private Ryan and From Dusk till Dawn, if I remember correctly. I've also walked out of one kids movie (The Good Dinosaur) with my girls where the movie ended up being too scary for the younger one. We've left the room at home during family movie night a few times, and then come back when the scary scene was over, but that doesn't feel like as big of a deal.

TwinFoxes
06-20-2017, 03:52 AM
Never walked out, but I've taken many a movie theater nap. Notably, I snooze through Erin Brochovitch, as well as a number of kids movies like Angry Birds and the new Charlie Brown movie, among many others.

A movie doesn't have to be bad for me to nap. I loved Moana, and tried really hard to stay awake, but I zonked out right after she met Maui, and didn't wake up until after Shiny. I did manage to stay awake the second time I took DDs.

One I would have walked out on was "Free Birds". I knew it would be bad, but DDs wanted to see it so badly. I listened to a podcast through headphones. They were none the wiser. :) We saw it during our local theater's summer promotion so it was only $2 per person.

ckso
06-20-2017, 04:54 AM
YES, but not because the movie was bad but because sometimes you get bad audiences. I remember a movie we were watching...can't remember the name right now but supposed to be a horror/suspense/gore type of movie. And there were 2 little kids in the audience that the parents allowed to run up and down the stairs, they were dropping things etc. it was just too distracting for us to enjoy the movie so we left and got our money back.

bisous
06-20-2017, 08:01 AM
I loved this movie too for the same reasons.

But no I can't remember walking out of a movie in a theater.

Loved Contact too! I'd walk out no problem. If it was too scary, or too offensive, or I just wasn't enjoying myself I'd ask for my money back. Like many of you, I usually try to know what I'm going to see before I go in and it usually means that although we might not know if we enjoy the movie at least we know if it is offensive.

pastrygirl
06-20-2017, 08:43 AM
No, but I've turned off movies at home (including rentals). Most recent was Deadpool. We're very selective with what we pay theater prices for.

My husband wanted to walk out of the Lego Batman movie (I thought it was OK) and the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid (I liked it -- laughed so hard during that one).

TwinFoxes
06-20-2017, 09:28 AM
My husband wanted to walk out of the Lego Batman movie

I would have walked out of that one. We watched it at home a few weeks ago and almost walked out of my own living room! My kids loved it and dh liked it. I thought it was beyond stupid...unwatchable.

Pear
06-20-2017, 09:30 AM
I've had to leave a couple of movies because they triggered motion sickness.

One particularly bad one was Master and Commander. I didn't even see it voluntarily because I knew it might cause me problems. The theater mislabeled the theaters and our group decided to stay since we had already missed the beginning of the movie we intended to see. I decided to give it a try. It did not end well.

lizzywednesday
06-20-2017, 10:07 AM
I would, but I have yet to encounter that situation. I should have walked out of Man of Steel, but DH was my ride home.

ETA: I should have left the auditorium during The Blair Witch Project because I was so nauseated. (OMG, the shakicam and the spinning with the handhelds? Triggered my motion sickness. I closed my eyes and tried not to vomit. TBH, I think i enjoyed the hype around it a lot more than I enjoyed the film!)

I am very choosy about which movies I want to see in the theater.

lizzywednesday
06-20-2017, 10:14 AM
No. I usually look at reviews and am choosy about what I go see.

There's been movies i haven't been a fan of, but never felt compelled to walk out of a movie yet. I've also never fallen asleep at a movie. ...

I am super-choosy about movies I go to see! I don't have the patience for truly awful ones.

I don't always read reviews (a lot have too many spoilers) but I do talk to friends and read a few things about what's on the slate for the next ye

I went to see this with friends and didn't know what to expect. It was a very thoughtful movie that had problems with pacing, but I didn't feel like I'd wasted my money on it.

i am also a fan of horror movies, and i love anything with suspense. horror movies can often be poorly done to the point of being a bit comical but even then i find it entertaining I guess.

Universal is rebooting its classic movie monsters. I feel like that's a terrible idea.

I've lost patience with Tom Cruise, to be honest, so I prefer to avoid movies he's in if I can help it.

khm
06-20-2017, 10:24 AM
I don't think I've ever walked out. I do remember hating Natural Born Killers and discussing leaving, but we stayed. I also remember loathing one of the Lord of the Rings movies that my husband took me to. I willed myself to sleep just to not have to hear "Oh Frodo!" Man, I hated that movie. My husband went to the next one with friends. He's now introducing our son to them, I won't even attempt to watch them. They just make my skin crawl I hate them so much.

The Mummy was so dumb originally, I can't believe they are doing it again, and with Tom Cruise? Yeah, no, that one is firmly not on my list!

My husband and I saw Deadpool. There was a sign entering the theater building that it was NOT FOR KIDS. A sign on the entrance door of the theater room itself that it was NOT FOR KIDS. And, an announcement on screen that it was NOT FOR KIDS. They made it really tough to ignore!

carolinamama
06-20-2017, 10:35 AM
I don't think I've left, but I have pulled out my phone to read on my Kindle app with the screen black. This has usually been in kids movies that didn't hold my attention.

AnnieW625
06-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Oh good I am glad I am not the only who didn't care for Lego Batman and thought all of the funny jokes were in the trailer. I liked the first one better.

Not one of my favorites and I remember snoozing off during Contact, but I had a huge thing for Matthew McConaughey at the time so that kept me interested.

Kymberley
06-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Once. The Mothman Prophecies. I loved "scary" movies at the time. My friend and I were bored to the point of anger. And if I recall correctly, the audio was a mess in that theater as well. We left. Never did finish that stupid movie.

vonfirmath
06-20-2017, 11:30 AM
No I don't think so, and I sat through Little Nicky, and the Batman movie with Val Kilmer as Batman. DH says he thought about leaving Starship Troopers, but that was within the first month or so we were dating and he didn't want to leave me in the theater. I told him I liked it even though it was campy; I felt like there was some historical parallels between it and WW2.

I was completely done with Dances With Wolves though about half way through and I am pretty sure I fell asleep at parts. I was 13, almost 14. I have been pretty picky about sitting in a movie theater for more than 2 hours since that experience though. I was with my parents so I couldn't leave.

The only movie I have left early as an adult was Wonder Woman and that was because DD2 didn't like it and was scared by the last 30 minutes.

I've walked out of too many movies because kids did not like them -- Frozen, Zootopia. And when I was younger we had one with a lot of flame where kids were being kidnapped that we ended up walking out of.

fauve01
06-20-2017, 11:41 AM
the only movie I've walked out of was 8MM with Nicholas Cage.

About the Tom Cruise Mummy: I was under the impression it was another in the continuation of the Mummy series from way back (they all sort of have the same premise). The Brendan Frasier Mummy movies were also based on the Boris Karloff Mummy movies from the 30s and 40s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mummy_(franchise)

american_mama
06-20-2017, 11:49 AM
I have not. But I wish I had walked out of Pulp Fiction. I saw it in my 20's and thought it was fairly offensive, but it was the gimp in the box scene where I wish I had walked out as protest. That scene still bugs me.

smilequeen
06-20-2017, 12:15 PM
No but I wish we had walked out on House of 1000 Corpses. I like scary but that was just beyond ick.

I take my kids to bad kid movies (looking at you SpongeBob) at the dine in theater. They have cocktails

trcy
06-20-2017, 12:57 PM
No but I wish we had walked out on House of 1000 Corpses. I like scary but that was just beyond ick.

I take my kids to bad kid movies (looking at you SpongeBob) at the dine in theater. They have cocktails

My now ex rented House of 1000 Corpses. Without a doubt, the worst movie I have ever seen. I am not a big fan of scary movies anyway, but it was just beyond awful.

carolinacool
06-20-2017, 03:17 PM
I've walked out of too many movies because kids did not like them -- Frozen, Zootopia.

I've never walked out but this post reminded me that DH and DS walked out off Angry Birds last year. I didn't go with them and didn't learn they had left until some months later.

I'm super picky about movies. Sitting here, the only movie I can remember hating so much that I wish I had left was the Batman that came out in 1989 or 1990. I was 14 or 15 and remember it was SO boring. Ugh. I only went because my boyfriend wanted to go.

mackmama
06-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Yup I have walked out of at least 2 movies. Can't remember what they were, but one was an indie film where the only think on a screen was a clock for what felt like 15 minutes. I was out of there.

melrose7
06-20-2017, 10:45 PM
I have never walked out of a movie and have never even considered it. DH and I don't see many in theaters as it is costly. I never nap so I tend to suffer through bad kid movies.

The only movie I can remember not being able to finish (at home) was Pet cemetery. I had read the book but was too scared to see the whole movie.

LOVED Contact (didn't see it in the theater) but i also wanted to be an astronaut once upon a time.