PDA

View Full Version : Annual Sunscreen Help!

babyzolo
06-21-2017, 06:39 AM
It's time to shop for camp and beach sunscreens. We have always used Blue Lizard for the body and Babo Botanicals for the face. We are looking for a recommendation for a spray for the beach or just easy application. I would like feedback on the use of the sprays that are on the "lower" side on EWG's list.

amom526
06-21-2017, 06:59 AM
Some of the "healthier sprays" are titanium dioxide which has been shown as possibly carcinogenic when inhaled. So while I would go for a mineral based cream, I might choose one of the other options for a spray. Maybe coola or one of the banana boat ones.

JBaxter
06-21-2017, 07:48 AM
I send the coppertone sport to soccer camp. I know mine wont use the cream sunscreen so its either the chemical or they burn. Banana boat gives 2 of mine a wicked rash. I also use the Target brand sometimes for the kids bag or DH's gulf bag

ourbabygirl
06-21-2017, 08:22 AM
My kids prefer spray, but I don't use it anymore because of the nanoparticles & stuff. We bought some Babyganics stuff with a pump from Target this year, & the kids & I like it more than the heavy creams (usually use Coppertone, otherwise). It was the only kind I could find there that wasn't a heavy cream or aerosol spray.

SnuggleBuggles
06-21-2017, 08:54 AM
We've been using Banana Boat Kids rub in and spray versions for years with success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elbenn
06-21-2017, 09:11 AM
I just got this to try and it's thinner than a lot of creams and rubs in easily. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHNTJ8K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ang79
06-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Not to derail the OP's post, but how long are sunscreens effective? I have a few bottles from last year (or possibly the year before) and they have no expiration date on them. Still good to use this year? One is Banana Boat Kids (titanium oxide) and one is Coppertone Kids (zinc oxide). Also have a Target brand spray that I'm pretty sure I picked up mid-season at Target last summer.

Kindra178
06-21-2017, 10:04 AM
SunBum spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

legaleagle
06-21-2017, 10:26 AM
Not to derail the OP's post, but how long are sunscreens effective? I have a few bottles from last year (or possibly the year before) and they have no expiration date on them. Still good to use this year? One is Banana Boat Kids (titanium oxide) and one is Coppertone Kids (zinc oxide). Also have a Target brand spray that I'm pretty sure I picked up mid-season at Target last summer.

A friend of mine with melanoma said her dr said 2 years. (Friend is big on sunscreen education, obviously!)

jam224
06-21-2017, 10:28 AM
We also use Blue Lizard and Babo sunscreens here. For spray, we use the Trader Joe's version. I've heard good things about the Coola spray.

Be aware that the Sun Bum brand puts BHT in their sunscreen lotions, despite them touting to "Trust the Bum." Great reminder to always double check the ingredients list regardless of their marketing.

PunkyBoo
06-21-2017, 11:05 AM
We've been using Alba Botanicals spf 50 spray (I think it says Active Kids). Just returned from a week in the desert and river and none of us got burned (and I'm a fair skinned redhead). Used it ask last summer too. It dries quickly and doesn't have that heavy sunscreen smell. I have my kids hold their breath when we spray and I use cream on their faces (trader Joe's) to better control application.

squimp
06-21-2017, 11:17 AM
We also use the Alba Botanical clear coconut spray, it is a 4 on EWG skin deep. I tend to burn less with sprays and have an allergic reaction to the TiO2 sunscreen so I am happy with this one. We bought a 2 pack with a face cream (rating 3) from Costco for $15.

smilequeen
06-21-2017, 11:28 AM
We have been using the Coola spray. It's my favorite for sure. Goes on easy. Decent scent. Fast drying. I gave up worrying about sprays. We have a pool. It can be me and 6 kids. Fast, easy, I can get it on my back. No burns using it. I do have face specific lotion though. I use Lancer every day. I have Elba and TruKid for the kids. I like DS1 to have a stick in his baseball bag.

gymnbomb
06-21-2017, 12:35 PM

I have always heard 2-3 years. If I have one without an expiration date I use it for 2 years from when I bought it. Unless it starts looking weird sooner. I wasn't doing well at remembering how old some of mine was, so I started writing the date I buy it on the bottom of the bottle so I can tell which ones I need to use up sooner.

zukeypur
06-21-2017, 12:48 PM
My dad sent me the list from Consumer Reports. Everything listed as most effective has terrible ratings on EWG. I absolutely HATE sunscreen shopping.

emily
06-21-2017, 04:48 PM
We've been using Babyganics Mineral Based Baby Sunscreen Spray spf 50. It's a pump. Sprays creamy but not thick so kids can apply on their own while at camp. It's rate 3 on EWG. It's about $20 for 2 bottles on Amazon. Right now there a 25% coupon.

I took it to the zoo for a class trip. Applied on all the kids in the morning. No burns by mid afternoon and some of the girls were really fair.

The past few years we've been using the Banana Boat that formulation seems to change and I wasn't sure I was getting the "right" one.

Corie
06-21-2017, 05:37 PM
I've heard good things about the Coola spray.

Holy Cow! Coola spray is $36 for 8 oz.

gymnbomb
06-21-2017, 05:39 PM
We use the Coppertone ones that are a 3 on EWG. Water babies pure and simple mineral based and the kids tear free one with the same active ingredients. For us they are a good compromise of price/EWG and are easy to find at most stores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
06-21-2017, 05:58 PM
We've been using Babyganics Mineral Based Baby Sunscreen Spray spf 50. It's a pump. Sprays creamy but not thick so kids can apply on their own while at camp. It's rate 3 on EWG. It's about $20 for 2 bottles on Amazon. Right now there a 25% coupon.

I took it to the zoo for a class trip. Applied on all the kids in the morning. No burns by mid afternoon and some of the girls were really fair.

The past few years we've been using the Banana Boat that formulation seems to change and I wasn't sure I was getting the "right" one.

I just noticed that our BBKids is a 6 now. Used to be 3. Bummer. Spray is a 4 and I'm ok with that.

meggie t
06-21-2017, 06:01 PM
We have used Banana Boat Sunscreen Kids Ultra Mist Tear-Free Sting Free Broad Spectrum Sun Care Sunscreen Spray - SPF 50, 6 Ounce for two summers. We have fair skin and go to the pool almost daily for a few hours. Neither child has ever had a burn. It is rated a 4 on the EWG scale, which I find acceptable. For their faces, I spray it into my hands and rub it on.

ang79
06-21-2017, 09:54 PM
I just noticed that our BBKids is a 6 now. Used to be 3. Bummer. Spray is a 4 and I'm ok with that.

Which one do you use? I just bought one at Target today because the container was much bigger for less money than the Coppertone Kids I have gotten previously (they shrunk the bottle this year!). The one I got is Banana Boat Kids SPF 50 lotion in a yellow bottle. I can't find it on the EWG site. I bought the same thing a last year and thought it used to be rated well.

Snow mom
06-21-2017, 10:09 PM
We use the Coppertone ones that are a 3 on EWG. Water babies pure and simple mineral based and the kids tear free one with the same active ingredients. For us they are a good compromise of price/EWG and are easy to find at most stores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is what we used last year as well. This year it seems they discontinued the kids tear free and reduced the bottle size on the pure and simple. I'm bummed although it's still a bargain compared to most of the physical blocks.

ang79
06-21-2017, 10:23 PM
This is what we used last year as well. This year it seems they discontinued the kids tear free and reduced the bottle size on the pure and simple. I'm bummed although it's still a bargain compared to most of the physical blocks.

I saw the Coppertone Kids Tear Free at Target today, but the bottle is much smaller than previous years, which is why I went with the Banana Boat. I was able to find the Banana Boat now at EWG, looks like the reason for the 6 rating is that they feel the 50 SPF is not accurate, but it still has a low risk for the ingredients. So now I just need to remember to reapply more often I guess.