PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 6s vs Samsung Galaxy 7 inexpensive point and shoot camera?

JustMe
06-22-2017, 01:20 PM
Still looking to buy a new camera. I could use an upgrade to my phone, but it doesn't have to be now and doesn't have to be an iphone. I mostly want to take quality pictures of the kids and the things we do..but I want it to do well in low light and have image stabilization. From what I can tell the iphone 6s plus is the oldest iphone with the image stabilization. I am also looking at $200 Canon elph point and shoot cameras. There are conflicting reports on-line. Some are adamant that point and shoot are still better than any phone camera, and some not. Of course, the phone and Samsung are more expensive but if I would buy a new phone anyway, maybe it should just have my camera on it even if it works out for more money (I am not otherwise picky about my phone). Another pro is that I always have the phone with me as opposed to I might not always have the camera...but if the camera takes better pics and I can just get a less expensive phone that works too? Mostly I want to know if anyone has an idea which would take better pictures given my priorities and are the differences significant?

squimp
06-22-2017, 05:02 PM
I use my iphone 6 for all kinds of family pic projects, including blowing up pictures for canvases from our vacation last summer. In outdoor lighting I have never felt let down by my iphone 6. We just made a photo book for one of DD's friends who is moving this summer and I was really happy with the quality of the outdoor pics from her SE and my iphone 6.

For sports action photos and indoor photos, I need a different camera, but I really like the iphone for most everything else.

liz
06-23-2017, 09:19 AM
I agree with PP, a phone with a good camera is the way to go. Unless you are planning on taking lots of action or low light photos regularly, I would pick a phone with the best camera ratings. We just came back from the Grand Canyon and DH and I just used our phones! Lots of great photos. We don't own a DSLR but we were with our family on this trip that all brought theirs. I'm sure that we'll get some great shots no matter what, but I'm still very happy with the quality of photos we have from our phones. Biggest pro of using the phone is that you'll likely have it with you at all times versus remembering to take a camera.

eta, DH and I both have Samsung Galaxy S5. DS has a Galaxy Edge S6 and it takes AMAZING pictures. Next phone I buy, I will mainly be looking at ratings of the camera quality.

AnnieW625
06-23-2017, 11:09 AM
I am in the point and shoot camp for a camera, but for what we need photos for (online sharing) or for small photos in cards or photo books my DH's iPhone 6 is good. We use it more than my iPhone 5s, and than our P&S. I am old school though so I do love having an old P&S camera and if I want something to take a quality photo then I will use it....but my P&S is now 8 yrs. old and only 10 mp so now less mp than an iPhone. I plan on replacing my 5s with an iPhone 8 or iPhone 7 this fall unless my 5s dies first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

american_mama
06-23-2017, 10:34 PM
I have a Samsung 6 and it takes very good photos. I have printed them 4x6 size and viewed and shared online. DD1 has the Samsung 5 and the camera is barely average.

It does not take good photos in low light or certain other situations. I have only use post-and shoot cameras, but I do play with the settings and learn them, and I have not been very successful at that with my phone. I'd say about 15% of the time, there is a photo I cannot take well with the phone.

I love having it with me all the time. This was my first smartphone and I was going to buy a much cheaper one, but decided to bump up a signifciant price point to get the better camera and I'm glad.

Two years ago, I brought my regular digital camera on vacation and was happy. One year ago, I brought only my phone and was happy.