PDA

View Full Version : Tick causes meat allergy

trcy
06-24-2017, 09:58 AM
https://www.simplemost.com/the-lone-star-tick-makes-you-allergic-to-meat-is-spreading/?partner=scripps&partner-sub=WFTS&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=scripps&utm_content=WFTS
I remember a recent post about a meat allergy. Apparently a tick can cause it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

nfceagles
06-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Yes. This scares the crap out of me. My DS is already allergic to milk, eggs, and nuts. It would be devastating if he lost meat which he loves. A recent article I read has cases of this moving northward despite previously being largely limited to the southeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCGrandma
06-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Yep, in the "Food allergies at large gatherings" thread, I posted about this -- a physician at our med school (who trained at UVa, which was an early leader in identifying alpha gal allergy, as the article mentions) works on both research and clinical practice about this allergy. I'm glad to hear that it's getting wider recognition.

I don't think I mentioned in the previous thread, but -- like most allergies -- some people have much more severe reactions than others. One of the local allergist's most sensitive patients reacted after she shaved her legs with a razor that had a lotion strip which contained lanolin.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JElaineB
06-24-2017, 11:47 AM
I saw that article the other day. I always thought the lone star tick was confined to the southern U.S. so I thought I didn't have to worry, but now I've realized it has spread. It also seems like since it was very mild here this winter it will be a bad year for ticks. I found one crawling on my wrist while in the grocery store a couple weeks ago (I think it was a deer tick). I had not been outside at all but had tried on clothes at another store before that. I figured I picked it up from the other on the clothes I tried on or in the dressing room. Very scary. I should order one of those tick removal things. What are the current recs on those?

kep
06-24-2017, 06:15 PM
We have this in our immediate family. Its tough, for sure, although most people are able to lead reasonably normal lives even with it. For more severe cases, it affects everything for medications to hygiene products to even smells in the air. The current research for this is pointing more and more as Alpha Gal being an autoimmune issue instead of a normal allergy.

gcc2k
06-24-2017, 10:13 PM
I have a friend who acquired this allergy last year. We live in Richmond, VA so she is thankful the UVA docs are close by. She went into anaphylaxis due to the allergy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

firstbaby
06-25-2017, 10:52 AM
DH has alpha gal. It took almost two years to diagnose because the reaction is so delayed after you eat mammal meat and for him, it wasn't every time he ate it. It honestly stinks.