PDA

View Full Version : Pls advise! DD has earring back embedded under skin - UPDATE IN #14

magnoliaparadise
06-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Hi,

My DD, 9, had earrings in her earlobes for about 4 weeks without taking them out. I didn't make her because she had no problems with her pierced ears since getting them done more than a year ago.

This morning, she said that they were painful and I noticed that they were both swollen and one seemed infected. Upon closer look, I realized with some shock that the metal back clasp is now embedded (swallowed) by her skin, which has formed around it.
Although I could get a little rubbery piece off at the end of the metal from each earring (the rubber that keeps that metal from hurting the skin), I was not able to get the earring off and I didn't want to pop anything out myself with my limited experience.

What kind of doctor would you see? I called the pediatrician and she said she has done it about 10x so I'm thinking her?
I could also see an ENT or plastic surgeon or an urgent care dr?

I am hoping just to pop this out, treat the infection, and deal with the piercing and whether we keep it after we handle this. I just really don't want scarring or for a doctor to have to cut the earlobe through and stitch it up (which I have had to have).

And would you suggest EMLA (or any other topical cream or shot)?

Has anyone heard of this or experienced it?
A quick search on the internet shows that it's pretty common, though I'm not sure how common with little kids.

UGH!!!! I am kicking myself for not having her put alcohol on her earrings more often or take them out. She was extremely conscientious the first six months after getting her ears pierced.

TIA!

ellies mom
06-28-2017, 11:12 AM
My daughter had the same thing happen. When I complained that I was the worst mom ever, several of my friends said the same happened to them. In my daughter's case, it was a weekend and I could tell it was starting to get infected so I did bring her into urgent care but otherwise I'd have just brought her to her regular pediatrician. The doctor couldn't see the backing at first and thought she was going to have to cut it out but once she numbed the area with lidocaine, the tissue swelled up enough that she was able to remove it with a pair of tweezers. She took antibiotics and had to leave her earrings out for a year. They were both still open a year later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magnoliaparadise
06-28-2017, 11:19 AM
ellies mom Thank you so much for this.

I talked to my ped by phone today and she didn't like lidocaine for ear lobes - I specifically asked her for it because my kid is super sensitive to pain (IMHO more than other kids!). She said she would do EMLA, but she didn't love that idea either and only if I insisted... I'm not sure if EMLA has the same swelling effect as lidocaine, but I hope it does.

Quick question - does your DD have any skin scarring or very large holes left from the experience?

Thank you!

KpbS
06-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Hmm, wondering why the ped is resistant to lidocaine and Emla? I guess I would consult with the ped, but be prepared to go to the dermatologist if it doesn't go smoothly. FWI, kids can see regular derms, no need to wait to see a ped derm. Those wait times can be 4-6 mo.

bisous
06-28-2017, 12:20 PM
We use EMLA often. It does work. (Also, I'm pretty sure that Lidocaine is one of the ingredients in EMLA...) I'd use it if I were you. Not having a painful experience makes it worth it. Just be aware that it takes a few minutes to work. We try to prep DS1's infusion sets at least 20 minutes in advance. When we first started doing that, we were told to wait an hour.

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2017, 12:22 PM
My ball shaped starter earring fell into my earlobe when I was 12. I have zero memory of how they got it out but I know my ped did it and there's no scarring. I doubt they numbed it as I'd have remembered a shot and it was probably pre-Emla days.

DualvansMommy
06-28-2017, 12:34 PM
I was away on vacation when it happened to me at 11/12 years old. Obviously had to go urgent care where the doc took it out, had to cut my earlobe to get it out as it was in really bad shape. Doesn't sound like the case for your DD, I did have some scarring behind my earlobe and can't wear earrings. Turns out I was allergic to one of the metal components within the gold earrings, and I tried again in my 20's. Same thing happened again, got infected. So I decided wasn't worth it for me.

Urgent care doc, your ped or even your Derm office if you see a dermatologist regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Indianamom2
06-28-2017, 01:30 PM
I would go to the regular pedi for this. I'm going to guess that it won't be super painful just because the earlobe isn't all that sensitive.

ellies mom
06-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Quick question - does your DD have any skin scarring or very large holes left from the experience?

Thank you!

Nope, no scarring. Holes are the same size. We were able to put earrings in a year later. She can't wear cheap earrings but that may just be her because she had only worn her initial piercing pair up until that point (she had had them pierced about 12 months before with no issues).

JBaxter
06-28-2017, 02:30 PM
Take her back to the place you had it done unless it was ones of those mall places. The tattoo shops will help you

ChicagoNDMom
06-28-2017, 04:09 PM
No lidocaine b/c lidocaine usually is formulated with epinephrine and can cause vasoconstriction/decreased blood flow to vulnerable areas (those with more limited blood flow, single artery supply) risk is necrosis (tissue death) of these areas. In MED school, they teach no lidocaine w/ EPI in "fingers, toes, penis, nose".

lalasmama
06-28-2017, 06:36 PM
No lidocaine b/c lidocaine usually is formulated with epinephrine and can cause vasoconstriction/decreased blood flow to vulnerable areas (those with more limited blood flow, single artery supply) risk is necrosis (tissue death) of these areas. In MED school, they teach no lidocaine w/ EPI in "fingers, toes, penis, nose".
:yeahthat:
We had a little sing-song "no epi in fingers, toes, penis, nose" and as soon as I saw this thread, I started singing it :) Made me laugh as I hadn't been in patient care for nearly a year, and still can't say it without singing it. Thanks for the smile remembering this!

jiggaman
06-28-2017, 07:11 PM
..."She can't wear cheap earrings..."

Lol, my wife says this too but I'm pretty sure it's not b/c of a backing being embedded...

OP hope your DD is ok.

magnoliaparadise
06-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Hi,
A very quick update: Pretty exhausting day. We went to the pediatrician, who was able to take out one of the earrings. She did use lidocaine cream in the end. That ear was ok.
But the second ear wouldn't budge. It was not even possible to *see* the back of the earring - you could feel it inside the ear. She suggested I go to an ENT.

So I went to an ENT. He wanted to give a lidocaine shot to my daughter and she freaked out, said she had a pathological fear of shots (I had never heard her say that before and she told me that she got it from the book 'Wayne Dixie'). Anyway, she refused to let him do the lidocaine shot and he was verrrrrrrry arrogant and stiff and basically said that she was 9 and should suck it up... he was horrible. After that, I knew he would never have a chance getting a shot in my kid. The ENT did try to take the earring out without medication (besides the lidocaine cream), but it was extremely painful and bloody and he told me it was very infected and full of puss. He suggested going to the ER and asking if she could have sedation.

So we went to the ER. It wasn't horrible, but in the end, they did a combination of lidocaine cream and then after 45 minutes, they gave her the lidocaine shot on top of that. It was still extremely painful for my kid unfortunately. Then they had to cut into the ear and excise the completely-subsumed/swallowed up- earring backing. They did finally get it out. She now has a very big hole in the back of both ears, particularly the one done in the ER, and a granuloma on the front of the ear that the hospital fixed. The doctors told me that I may want a plastic surgeon to fix that in the future. It kind of looks like a wart right now, but I'm hoping it decreases a lot. I asked if they could just shave it themselves since my daughter couldn't feel her ear at that point anyway because of the lidocaine shot. They said no, that they were an ER and only did the basics, which is taking the earring out.
They also gave my daughter some medicine up her nose which they described as 'baby xanax'. It would have been great, but the process of putting it up my daughter's nose was very uncomfortable for her.

Anyway, it's done. It was pretty painful all around. My daughter cried a lot, especially when the lidocaine shot was being put in two places against her ears. My daughter thinks she is going to keep the holes, but I don't think that's going to happen. I will be quite happy for it to close up for now. The whole thing was very distressing.

My 5 yo was with a family on a playdate and they kept her for 8.5 hours today... and they aren't close friends so I was feeling grateful and a little embarrassed.

The earrings were sterling silver from Claire's by the way. We have had zero luck with Claire's. My daughter got her ears pierced there and the gold earrings were great, but very very expensive and broke within a couple of months. We bought some more - and same thing. That's why I allowed her to get the sterling silver after that, which in hindsight was a mistake.

Thanks all for your advice and help.

trcy
06-28-2017, 10:07 PM
How awful for your DD and you! Hopefully she heals quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Cam&Clay
06-28-2017, 10:20 PM
The book is called Because of Winn Dixie, in case you wanted to read it! Sorry she was in so much pain!

magnoliaparadise
06-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Ha, you're right - Winn (Wynn?) Dixie! As I was writing 'Wayne Dixie', it felt wrong... I didn't read it, but my DD has several times and we watched the movie together... I don't remember the main character ever saying 'I have a pathological fear' about anything, but I was not listening to the movie very closely truth be told... it seemed like a good story, though!

My daughter was doing better by the end of the night and not in pain. She told her story in great detail to her little sister and marveled with her how she could still not feel her ear.

PZMommy
06-29-2017, 12:40 AM
Ha, you're right - Winn (Wynn?) Dixie! As I was writing 'Wayne Dixie', it felt wrong... I didn't read it, but my DD has several times and we watched the movie together... I don't remember the main character ever saying 'I have a pathological fear' about anything, but I was not listening to the movie very closely truth be told... it seemed like a good story, though!

My daughter was doing better by the end of the night and not in pain. She told her story in great detail to her little sister and marveled with her how she could still not feel her ear.

Sorry your daughter had so much trouble! Hope she feels better soon!!

Oh, and Winn Dixie, the dog, had a pathological fear of storms in the book. I'm assuming it is the same in the movie.

ellies mom
06-29-2017, 01:37 AM
Lol, my wife says this too but I'm pretty sure it's not b/c of a backing being embedded...

OP hope your DD is ok.

I really doubt it has anything to do with the backing becoming embedded. She had never switched her earrings out before that point so she had never had cheap earrings in her ears. She is just sensitive.

ellies mom
06-29-2017, 01:42 AM
Hi,
A very quick update: Pretty exhausting day. We went to the pediatrician, who was able to take out one of the earrings. She did use lidocaine cream in the end. That ear was ok.
But the second ear wouldn't budge. It was not even possible to *see* the back of the earring - you could feel it inside the ear. She suggested I go to an ENT.

So I went to an ENT. He wanted to give a lidocaine shot to my daughter and she freaked out, said she had a pathological fear of shots (I had never heard her say that before and she told me that she got it from the book 'Wayne Dixie'). Anyway, she refused to let him do the lidocaine shot and he was verrrrrrrry arrogant and stiff and basically said that she was 9 and should suck it up... he was horrible. After that, I knew he would never have a chance getting a shot in my kid. The ENT did try to take the earring out without medication (besides the lidocaine cream), but it was extremely painful and bloody and he told me it was very infected and full of puss. He suggested going to the ER and asking if she could have sedation.

So we went to the ER. It wasn't horrible, but in the end, they did a combination of lidocaine cream and then after 45 minutes, they gave her the lidocaine shot on top of that. It was still extremely painful for my kid unfortunately. Then they had to cut into the ear and excise the completely-subsumed/swallowed up- earring backing. They did finally get it out. She now has a very big hole in the back of both ears, particularly the one done in the ER, and a granuloma on the front of the ear that the hospital fixed. The doctors told me that I may want a plastic surgeon to fix that in the future. It kind of looks like a wart right now, but I'm hoping it decreases a lot. I asked if they could just shave it themselves since my daughter couldn't feel her ear at that point anyway because of the lidocaine shot. They said no, that they were an ER and only did the basics, which is taking the earring out.
They also gave my daughter some medicine up her nose which they described as 'baby xanax'. It would have been great, but the process of putting it up my daughter's nose was very uncomfortable for her.

Anyway, it's done. It was pretty painful all around. My daughter cried a lot, especially when the lidocaine shot was being put in two places against her ears. My daughter thinks she is going to keep the holes, but I don't think that's going to happen. I will be quite happy for it to close up for now. The whole thing was very distressing.

My 5 yo was with a family on a playdate and they kept her for 8.5 hours today... and they aren't close friends so I was feeling grateful and a little embarrassed.

The earrings were sterling silver from Claire's by the way. We have had zero luck with Claire's. My daughter got her ears pierced there and the gold earrings were great, but very very expensive and broke within a couple of months. We bought some more - and same thing. That's why I allowed her to get the sterling silver after that, which in hindsight was a mistake.

Thanks all for your advice and help.

Honestly, it isn't the earrings. At some point your daughter most likely pushed the backing of the earring in too tightly and that is just what happens. DD1 had her earrings in for a solid year without any problems at all. And then one day...

azzeps
06-29-2017, 01:56 AM
OMG, DD has just started asking about having pierced ears, and I said she could whenever she was ready (and then talked about needles, etc., ha ha).... now I hope she waits!!! How traumatic for you both!!! Hopefully she will heal nicely and won't have to have anything further done! Oh, and I love the "pathological fear" comment. Pretty funny. My daughter read that book, too, and has a pathological fear of shots as well. Take care! Hope you had a glass of wine or something!! :)

georgiegirl
06-29-2017, 10:29 AM
How traumatic for everyone! Glad the backings are finally out.

doberbrat
06-29-2017, 11:34 AM
Honestly, it isn't the earrings. At some point your daughter most likely pushed the backing of the earring in too tightly and that is just what happens. DD1 had her earrings in for a solid year without any problems at all. And then one day...

exactly. dd2 is 7 and had her ears pierced at 9w. The only time I've ever removed the earrings is last August when they needed to be removed for dental xrays. I occasionally clean, turn and make sure they're not in too tight but otherwise I dont mess with them.

Seems like your dd just got horribly unlucky. Soundshorribly awful :hug: But a good reminder for us parents to remember to make sure the earrings dont get too tight. I'm going to check dd's as soon as they get home from camp. :(

ArizonaGirl
06-29-2017, 08:06 PM
So sorry that this ended up being so traumatic for everyone.

Just FYI the medicine they gave her up her nose was probably intranasal midazolam. I'm sorry to hear it was unpleasant, I don't think it is supposed to be.

Myira
06-30-2017, 01:03 AM
I have not read all the replies, but this exact thing happened with my DD just a few months ago. We ended up at the children's hospital to see a pediatric ENT, who numbed the earlobe with an anesthetic lidocaine shot(actually 3 shots were required and DD is scared of shots, so was ready to flee after the first).

Now she has small hoops in her ears and I don't see her wearing earrings with backings anytime soon after the whole ordeal.

I just read your update, I hope your DDs ear heals soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Globetrotter
06-30-2017, 05:23 AM
That sounds like a terrible ordeal. Poor thing :(

magnoliaparadise
06-30-2017, 08:02 AM
Hi all,

OP here. I think you are right - my DD probably just pushed her earrings in too tightly.
She had had her ears pierced a year and four months ago and for the first six months was very conscientious about cleaning. She did switch out earrings from time to time after that, but always gold. I don't know why I thought that we no longer had to put alcohol on the earlobes periodically - I guess I just assumed that the earring holes were in place so all was ok now - duh, who on earth was I thinking - that would have saved my kid a lot of upset!

My daughter is doing ok. The ears are looking better, but I do think that granuloma thing (I don't know if this is the right word) may need to be worked on by a doctor.

The doctors all say that this is a fairly common thing to happen interestingly... I had never heard about it. In the scheme of life, I know this was very small, but I'm glad it's over and she is on antibiotics for the infection and the earrings are out.

My daughter said that from now on, she will make sure her 'friends and descendants' watch their ears carefully and put rubbing alcohol on them so that they never go through what she did. So I guess she will be very responsible with future earrings :)

magnoliaparadise
06-30-2017, 08:07 AM
So sorry that this ended up being so traumatic for everyone.

Just FYI the medicine they gave her up her nose was probably intranasal midazolam. I'm sorry to hear it was unpleasant, I don't think it is supposed to be.

Hi,
The doctor said that she was putting 'verset' up my DD1's nose... maybe that's the brand name of the generic name you said?
It's probably not supposed to be unpleasant, though I don't think DD1 would find anything going up her nose pleasant, ha :)

I know this is different, but I have had several of those ENT up-the-nose in-office camera things lately and wow are those unpleasant! I notice I'm getting anxious now in anticipation :)

NCGrandma
06-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Hi,
The doctor said that she was putting 'verset' up my DD1's nose... maybe that's the brand name of the generic name you said?
It's probably not supposed to be unpleasant, though I don't think DD1 would find anything going up her nose pleasant, ha :)

I know this is different, but I have had several of those ENT up-the-nose in-office camera things lately and wow are those unpleasant! I notice I'm getting anxious now in anticipation :)

Versed is indeed midazolam. And I have to say that this entire experience has sounded awful, for all of you. I guess I've been lucky but have never heard of any of the zillions of people I have known with pierced ears having this happen. The occasional infection, sure, but nothing more.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

oneplustwo
07-06-2017, 10:41 PM
OP, I'm late to this thread but wanted to comment that your DD sounds like such a great kid! From her "Because of Winn Dixie" quote to her saying she'll make sure her friends and descendants take care of their ears, I love her approach to life and way of speaking. Hope she heals well and quickly.

magnoliaparadise
07-10-2017, 10:08 PM
Aww thank you, oneplustwo. I know it's hackneyed to say it, but kids say such funny things that make you look at things differently, you know? Sometimes, in the rush of being overwhelmed and busy, I forget to stop and really appreciate all the small moments (dang, also hackneyed, but TRUE!!)
And I love what you said about worry being like the rocking chair. I'm a big worrier, so that saying is really poignant to me.