PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Prime Day: July 11

Ms B
06-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Based on prior years, do we anticipate a deal or dud?

Talk amongst yourselves.

legaleagle
06-29-2017, 04:26 PM
Figure there will be deals on kindles and instant pots, otherwise who knows

elbenn
06-29-2017, 04:37 PM
Last year, it wasn't great, but maybe it will be better this year. I would guess that there might be some good Alexa deals (or deals that you can purchase on Alexa) since Amazon has been pushing Alexa a lot.

Mikey0709
06-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Funny how I heard it was the largest day of sales for Amazon EVER last year, but I didn't buy anything???? How can that be considering I feel like I have 2000 orders so far this year alone? I did three orders just this week.

Was it first timers ?

If they suck me in this year ... i can't imagine their sales/profit ratio!

C'mon on Amazon give me something good!

DualvansMommy
06-29-2017, 08:44 PM
I thought 2 years ago prime was really good, I got several deals for myself and as kids presents for xmas. But wasn't even happy with last year prime selections, so didn't buy anything. I felt like I already had everything they were pushing last year prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

liz
06-30-2017, 08:24 AM
I've never really bought much on Prime day either, just a kindle for the kids. I'm on the lookout for another Dot, so hopefully they'll have a deal on that. Also, if anyone sees a discount on Kindle Unlimited please let me know!

I can't remember when it was, but Amazon had deals when buying items through Alexa. I wound up (impulsively) buying a deeply discounted cuisinart griddle/panini/waffle maker. I love that thing.

elizabethkott
06-30-2017, 09:39 AM
I admittedly did buy an Instant Pot last year on Prime Day... geez, I love that thing!!!
I'm also hoping for a deal on Kindle Unlimited.
I'm guessing that since last year was widely considered a "dud" (not just by us here lol!) they may try to up their game this year.
What are the chances now that they own Whole Foods that they'll offer some sort of WF deal?!?! A girl can dream... I love that place, but not what it does to my wallet lol!!!

Ms B
06-30-2017, 10:05 AM
I've never really bought much on Prime day either, just a kindle for the kids. I'm on the lookout for another Dot, so hopefully they'll have a deal on that. Also, if anyone sees a discount on Kindle Unlimited please let me know!

There is an early Kindle Unlimited deal already running, $80.xx for one year; $14x.xx for two years.

What do you use the Dot for? My mom sent us two last year for the holiday from HSN -- at like $75 a piece! -- and I sent them back because I have no idea what the point is. We already have Sonos speakers in three rooms of the house for all of the music and there never seems to be anything else we want to know or do that cannot be done on one of our laptops/Chromebook/Kindle/phones.

baymom
06-30-2017, 01:02 PM
There is an early Kindle Unlimited deal already running, $80.xx for one year; $14x.xx for two years.

What do you use the Dot for? My mom sent us two last year for the holiday from HSN -- at like $75 a piece! -- and I sent them back because I have no idea what the point is. We already have Sonos speakers in three rooms of the house for all of the music and there never seems to be anything else we want to know or do that cannot be done on one of our laptops/Chromebook/Kindle/phones.

We use our Dots like upstairs Echoes. Also, you can "name them" so they can be used as intercoms between rooms. We have a regular Echo in the kitchen, and then Dots in the bedrooms. We use the Dot to set alarms to get up in the morning, turn on/off the lights/play music/read audio books/ect. The speaker isn't terrific, but it's good enough for a bedroom. I wouldn't use it for downstairs where it's more of an open space.

liz
06-30-2017, 01:16 PM

Thanks! I didn't see that sale.

We had a Dot in our bedroom, but wound up giving it to my mom. She really likes listening to the radio from her home country, plus she likes to get local weather updates. The speaker quality is fair, but good enough for her needs. I liked being able to listen to music in my room, add things to the grocery list ( I always seem to think of stuff when getting ready in my bathroom lol) and hear weather updates. We own an Echo and have prime.

jgenie
07-01-2017, 03:05 AM

I ordered an Echo last year on prime day and sent it back for the same reason. We have Sonos throughout our house and the Echo just seemed redundant. For those that have them, where does the shopping list end up? How do you access it at the store? We're an apple family and I was worried it didn't sync with Apple devices easily. Is that true?

urquie
07-01-2017, 03:12 AM
Also, you can "name them" so they can be used as intercoms between rooms.

How are you able to use them as intercoms between rooms? I've sent Amazon feedback a couple times requesting that feature. :-)

lisa928
07-01-2017, 07:25 AM
How are you able to use them as intercoms between rooms? I've sent Amazon feedback a couple times requesting that feature. :-)

You need to turn ON "Drop In" for each device in settings. Then just say "Alexi drop in on (device name)".

elbenn
07-01-2017, 08:59 AM
\The speaker quality is fair, but good enough for her needs.

The speaker quality is awful, but the one thing that the Dot has that the Echo doesn't (at least our version of the Echo) is that it can be hooked up to other speakers. We have the Dot just so we can hook it up with our sound system.

elbenn
07-01-2017, 09:02 AM
One good Prime deal is that you can sign up for Music Unlimited for $1/mo. for the first 4 months (thereafter $8/mo.). This is for new customers of Music Unlimited only.

PunkyBoo
07-01-2017, 12:51 PM
I ordered an Echo last year on prime day and sent it back for the same reason. We have Sonos throughout our house and the Echo just seemed redundant. For those that have them, where does the shopping list end up? How do you access it at the store? We're an apple family and I was worried it didn't sync with Apple devices easily. Is that true?
The list shows up on the Alexa app on my phone, so I just pull up the list on my phone while at the store. My kids think it's Hilarious they add things like "butt butter" and "hippo milk" to the shopping list when I'm not home, but I have 2 boys at the most obnoxious ages so YMMV. [emoji23]
I have Android so I can't speak to your other questions.

wencit
07-01-2017, 01:25 PM
I ordered an Echo last year on prime day and sent it back for the same reason. We have Sonos throughout our house and the Echo just seemed redundant. For those that have them, where does the shopping list end up? How do you access it at the store? We're an apple family and I was worried it didn't sync with Apple devices easily. Is that true? I use the OurGroceries app instead of the default Alexa shopping app because I can easily divide items by store. The default Alexa app just adds things in one long list, which I find annoying. It's very convenient to tell Alexa to add something to a certain store's list while I'm in a different part of the house. I can then access my list at the store through the app. As far as I can tell, OurGroceries is the only shopping list app that works with Alexa, which is kind of a bummer, but it works well enough for my needs. We have 2 iPhones and haven't had problems so far (though we've only had the Dot for less than a month now.)

pastrygirl
07-01-2017, 11:18 PM
I use our Echoes/Dots with OurGroceries, too. "Alexa, ask OurGroceries to add milk to BJs".

LOVE the new drop-in feature, especially now that I leave my 11yo at home alone sometimes. I'm surprised it too them so long to add it!

jam224
07-02-2017, 03:09 PM
This is the third annual Prime Day. The first one was a total flop! Last year was better, but considering I'm continually scouting out deals throughout the year, I only made a few purchases myself that day. Amazon seemed to call Prime Day 2016 a huge success, which I was honestly surprised about. I've heard that there were some great household deals, so I'm definitely interested in diapers and wipes this year. We just set up our new Echo and signed up for the $0.99 4-month Music Unlimited trial this weekend and have been really enjoying that so far. (We're currently making our way through the Disney princess soundtrack library, haha! :ROTFLMAO:)

Here's Amazon's "Prime Day Insider Guide" for anyone who hasn't seen it yet (I think it gives a good synopsis of what to expect that day): https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=pd_hud?ie=UTF8&node=16926415011&pf_rd_p=61ad63a6-bd06-4e0c-8ffa-5b41d11285ed&pf_rd_r=80DN8R3YZDN0X3CFHECB

From that page, here are some of the early deals that they feature:

• Exclusive offers for Prime members start early
Members can explore their benefits and exclusive promotions on www.amazon.com/primeday starting on June 29. Below are some of the featured offers.

1) Kindle Unlimited
Prime Members can save up to 40% on a Kindle Unlimited membership. Enjoy unlimited reading from more than 1 million titles on any device. Learn more

2) Audible
Enjoy Audible for 40% off your first 6 months (just $8.95/mo for 6 months). Learn more

3) Amazon Music Unlimited
Prime members who haven’t yet tried Amazon Music Unlimited can get the best deal in Amazon Music history: For just $0.99, enjoy four months of the full catalog, on-demand service with access to tens of millions of songs. Learn more

4) Everyday Essentials
Save up to 35% off with coupons on select everyday food and household items in Prime Pantry. Learn more

5) Prime Video
Get $10 to spend by Prime Day when you stream a Prime video for the first time on your TV on or before July 7. Restrictions apply. Learn more

baymom
07-02-2017, 07:16 PM

We just say, 'Alexa, call X's room'. Then that person has to say, 'Alexa, answer call' when the green lights come on. I'm not sure how to set it up--DH did it. We love this feature!

baymom
07-02-2017, 07:23 PM
We just say, 'Alexa, call X's room'. Then that person has to say, 'Alexa, answer call' when the green lights come on. I'm not sure how to set it up--DH did it. We love this feature!

The kids use the 'call' command to call our cell phones when they are home alone. Didn't realize there was a separate 'drop in' command for the regular Echo. The new Echo Show allows you to actually 'drop into' a room!

AnnieW625
07-03-2017, 12:11 AM
They also offered the 40% off kindle unlimited on Black Friday last year as that is when I got it.

Prime Day for me both years has been a bust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbrightRC
07-03-2017, 08:16 AM
With Kindle unlimited can you keep the books on your device like you do when you purchase them or is it like the prime reading where you can have a certain amount of books and then have to return them to add more

urquie
07-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Thank you so much, this information is absolutely wonderful! I literally sent feedback (again) to Amazon the day before this thread, requesting an intercom feature and they replied saying that it's not possible at this time. Too crazy!

You need to turn ON "Drop In" for each device in settings. Then just say "Alexi drop in on (device name)".

The kids use the 'call' command to call our cell phones when they are home alone. Didn't realize there was a separate 'drop in' command for the regular Echo. The new Echo Show allows you to actually 'drop into' a room!

AngB
07-03-2017, 03:46 PM
With Kindle unlimited can you keep the books on your device like you do when you purchase them or is it like the prime reading where you can have a certain amount of books and then have to return them to add more

It's only a certain number you can have out at once.

AlbrightRC
07-03-2017, 04:13 PM
thanks..trying to decide if its something I would want but probable not if I can only have a certain number at once

legaleagle
07-04-2017, 01:01 PM
thanks..trying to decide if its something I would want but probable not if I can only have a certain number at once

You get 10 at once so pretty generous.

AlbrightRC
07-04-2017, 05:39 PM
thanks I get that now with prime membership

MaiseyDog
07-05-2017, 02:23 PM

I can't remember when it was, but Amazon had deals when buying items through Alexa. I wound up (impulsively) buying a deeply discounted cuisinart griddle/panini/waffle maker. I love that thing.

They have refurbished dots for $29.99 today. https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Echo-Dot-Generation/dp/B01DFKBI6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499278400&sr=8-1&keywords=refurbished+dot

NCGrandma
07-05-2017, 03:05 PM
They have refurbished dots for $29.99 today. https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Echo-Dot-Generation/dp/B01DFKBI6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499278400&sr=8-1&keywords=refurbished+dot

And ... they're now flagged as "currently unavailable" !

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

trales
07-05-2017, 08:55 PM
Is Kindle Unlimited better than the library? How many books are there, is it really that you can choose form the amazon digital collection? I love to read, a lot of what I read is not digital at the library or hard to find and I have to ILL it. I don't read a lot of the 'new' stuff. I like Newberry and Caldacott medal winners, I like Eva Ibbottson. Would it be worth it?

legaleagle
07-06-2017, 11:54 AM
You can search amazon to see what's in kindle unlimited. Things get added/deleted fairly frequently (if you have something checked out that later becomes unavailable they don't delete from your device) - similar to netflix, prime video, etc.

liz
07-07-2017, 06:52 AM

Thanks for posting this. I saw your update about an hour after you posted and they were not available anymore :irked:. That was a great price!

AnnieW625
07-07-2017, 10:16 AM
Is Kindle Unlimited better than the library? How many books are there, is it really that you can choose form the amazon digital collection? I love to read, a lot of what I read is not digital at the library or hard to find and I have to ILL it. I don't read a lot of the 'new' stuff. I like Newberry and Caldacott medal winners, I like Eva Ibbottson. Would it be worth it?

For you probably not. There are a lot of self published or small published work on Kindle Unlimited. You won't find a lot of large publishers on Kindle Unlimited or even for sale for less than list price in the Kindle store because the publisher sets the prices not Amazon or the author. I have read some awful stuff but found some really great independent authors on Kindle Unlimited. There might have a Caldecott winner or two on there, but I have never specifically looked for one. I read a lot of contemporary romance or light read novels and there is a good selection of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peggy_morrison
07-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Instapot is under $80, any idea if it might drop further for Prime Day? Lowest ever was $68.95. I am tempted to pull the plug.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelalerts-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00FLYWNYQ

babyonway
07-08-2017, 01:37 AM
Instapot is under $80, any idea if it might drop further for Prime Day? Lowest ever was $68.95. I am tempted to pull the plug.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelalerts-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00FLYWNYQ

I bet the IP will at least get as low as Black Friday prices! I'd wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

liz
07-08-2017, 09:22 AM
I posted above about wanting a Dot. I saw that Amazon was selling a refurbished Tap for $69.99 so we bought that instead! When we originally had the Dot (we gave it to my mom), I was envisioning being able to take it outside for parties. What pushed us from buying a new, full priced Dot ($49.99) to a refurbished Tap was sound quality. The speaker is definitely better (but not as good as the Echo). Plus the Tap now has the ability to be awoken (woken? awakened? lol) with the wake word "Alexa" instead of having to press the button to activate. Just thought I'd share if anyone was looking to buy a Dot.

FYI, the Tap was priced at $94.99 but they were giving Prime members an additional $25 off the refurbished Tap. Hopefully they repeat that deal for anyone interested!

jam224
07-08-2017, 12:41 PM
Today's DOTD is a refurbished Echo for $89.99, both in black and white: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y3QOH5G/.

We've been loving our Echo! If you have an Alexa-enabled device, ask her what do you call a cow with no legs! ;)

elizabethkott
07-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Anyone have any idea if Prime Day ever includes deals on Prime Video options? We have a fire stick, and I'd love to be able to get a deal on a premium network subscription... specifically Starz. DH cancelled Starz and I'm planning on getting it through Prime Video once Outlander season 3 comes back in September; would just love to get a deal if I can!

TwoBees
07-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Anyone see any good upcoming car seat deals for Prime Day? I can't figure out how to pre-search the deals and get notifications.

urquie
07-10-2017, 12:50 PM
I can't figure out how to pre-search the deals and get notifications.

http://lifehacker.com/tips-for-a-successful-amazon-prime-day-1796756798

The Amazon app is your key to not missing out on any deals. Within the app go to “Today’s Deals” and then “Upcoming” to see all the Prime deals 24 hours before they go live. If there’s something you’ve got your eye on, you can “Watch this Deal” to get a notification when the sale has officially started for that item. To catch the good deals this planning step is key. Even better, if you’ve never used the app before, Amazon is offering $10 for your first sign in (https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=mm_1_pd17_dem_m_lu/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_PD17EG14_1b1_w?node=14730500011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-14&pf_rd_r=GGSBABRY7M0662YRN03J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=076dbcfc-86d7-44e8-aecf-640384a6ffd3&pf_rd_i=13887280011&tag=lifehackeramzn-20&ascsubtag=6fbe57d502190f1d21899a13be20b04d4c662e15&rawdata=%5Bt%7Clink%5Bp%7C1796756798%5Bau%7C155036 8777%5Bb%7Clifehacker).

TwoBees
07-10-2017, 01:24 PM
http://lifehacker.com/tips-for-a-successful-amazon-prime-day-1796756798

The Amazon app is your key to not missing out on any deals. Within the app go to “Today’s Deals” and then “Upcoming” to see all the Prime deals 24 hours before they go live. If there’s something you’ve got your eye on, you can “Watch this Deal” to get a notification when the sale has officially started for that item. To catch the good deals this planning step is key. Even better, if you’ve never used the app before, Amazon is offering $10 for your first sign in (https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=mm_1_pd17_dem_m_lu/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_PD17EG14_1b1_w?node=14730500011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-14&pf_rd_r=GGSBABRY7M0662YRN03J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=076dbcfc-86d7-44e8-aecf-640384a6ffd3&pf_rd_i=13887280011&tag=lifehackeramzn-20&ascsubtag=6fbe57d502190f1d21899a13be20b04d4c662e15&rawdata=%5Bt%7Clink%5Bp%7C1796756798%5Bau%7C155036 8777%5Bb%7Clifehacker).

Thank you!

tropicalmom
07-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Was browsing through deals and saw a Quinny Buzz Xtra Strollergoing live tonight. I'm past stroller age but thought it might help someone

lisa928
07-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Anyone know how to find my "watch" list from lightning deals? I watched a bunch but now cannot find the cumulative list.

jam224
07-10-2017, 10:37 PM
Anyone know how to find my "watch" list from lightning deals? I watched a bunch but now cannot find the cumulative list.

You're not the only one!! It's SO annoying! Everything is messed up! I hate when Amazon does this. My app doesn't have a clean list of what I was watching either. Grr. Anyway, here's the desktop link that *used* to work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/watching. Now it just goes to the massive "Prime Day" sale page. Arg.

infocrazy
07-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Same for me and I figured out how to get there and I had nothing...I figured wasn't meant to be...then all of a sudden I get an alert (ironically that a deal was cal) and suddenly my entire list is showing. That said, nothing I was watching is that good with prices so I have yet to order anything.

jgenie
07-10-2017, 11:07 PM
Does anyone know what the kindle paper white deals are and when they go live?

jam224
07-10-2017, 11:15 PM
Does anyone know what the kindle paper white deals are and when they go live?

It's live now! The Paperwhite is $89.99, both in black and white: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Paperwhite-6-Inch-4GB-eReader/dp/B00OQVZDJM/. I finally bit the bullet and bought one with the sale and using a slow-ship $10 Kindle credit; I got it for $79.99 plus tax!! :boogie:

Here's the link to all the Amazon devices on sale: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=ods_DP_Multi_PrimeDay?node=11851273011

jgenie
07-10-2017, 11:56 PM
Would someone please explain again the difference between the dot and the echo? I don't want the quality sound because we have a home stereo system but I would like to have the list feature as well as the weather etc. What other fun things can they do? I'm thinking the dot is what I want but am I sacrificing any fun features by not getting the echo? TIA

jgenie
07-10-2017, 11:56 PM
It's live now! The Paperwhite is $89.99, both in black and white: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Paperwhite-6-Inch-4GB-eReader/dp/B00OQVZDJM/. I finally bit the bullet and bought one with the sale and using a slow-ship $10 Kindle credit; I got it for $79.99 plus tax!! :boogie:

Here's the link to all the Amazon devices on sale: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=ods_DP_Multi_PrimeDay?node=11851273011

Thank you!!

jam224
07-11-2017, 12:29 AM
Would someone please explain again the difference between the dot and the echo? I don't want the quality sound because we have a home stereo system but I would like to have the list feature as well as the weather etc. What other fun things can they do? I'm thinking the dot is what I want but am I sacrificing any fun features by not getting the echo? TIA

As far as I know, the only difference is the speaker quality. I just found out about the Dot's ability to be used as an intercom system, so I snagged a few to try it out! Otherwise, Alexa is mainly used here for music. I would love to start using her to play audiobooks. She tells us the weather and time. I think if you already have a great speaker, you don't need the Echo. It is a great speaker though! And the sale price is amazing!