PDA

View Full Version : Which backpack does your middle schooler like?

smilequeen
06-30-2017, 08:34 PM
DS1 is starting 7th grade at a new school and needs a new backpack. He really doesn't care. They have school issued laptops but they have to leave their backpacks in their lockers. They have time to grab the next set of books between classes. Anyway, bonus if it has a removable laptop sleeve.

ABO Mama
06-30-2017, 09:30 PM
We use the backpacks from Costco. They are in store now.

mom2ethan
06-30-2017, 11:22 PM
My middle schoolers both have Jansport backpacks. DS has a solid black one that he has used for 3 years now and it's in great shape. They make a version with a removable laptop sleeve as well.

AnnieW625
06-30-2017, 11:33 PM
Dd1 is going into 6th grade and has an LLB Rolling Deluxe Book pack.

Most of the middle schoolers at her school have a rolling pack, Jansport, or High Sierra packs. If she ever decides she wants something else she will most likely go with Jansport.

TBH though I still wish Eddie Bauer made their campus packs like they did in the 90s when I was in high school and college. Those things are sturdy and I still use mine and it is 22 yrs. old.

DH's Jansport from college was close to 20 yrs. old before he finally replaced it with a North Face because it had a sturdy laptop pocket.

eta: Dd1 goes to a small Catholic school (350 or kids pre k to 8th).....if she went to public I wouldn't encourage her to take a rolling backpack. Her rolling pack will stay in her home room classroom and then they take
books as needed from classroom to classroom as supposedly they can't take their backpacks from class to class.....I have made it known that they should install lockers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khm
06-30-2017, 11:38 PM
Under Armour, Nike, Adidas and North Face seem to be the most popular at our middle/high school. Wheels are not a thing here. I don't think they are specifically banned, but I do not see anyone with them at the bus stops or at dropoff/pickup. My kids have had the same UAs for 3 or 4 years. I'm sure my daughter will want a new one, but she absolutely doesn't need one. Theirs are both still is in great shape.

Some of the girls carry Vera Bradley, but they don't seem to carry them for long. I'm not sure if they wear out, or if they tire of that style, but I'll notice them, then the next time I see that friend, they are back to a regular backpack.

citymama
07-01-2017, 12:23 AM
Following!

ett
07-01-2017, 12:52 AM
DS1 has an LL Bean deluxe backpack. LL Bean is fairly popular here. It doesn't have a remove laptop sleeve though. They have ipads which are in protective cases.

OT question - DS1 has no textbooks. (He just finished 8th grade and he has never had a textbook.) The only physical books he has are novels that he's reading for class. Are other middle schoolers still using traditional textbooks?

JBaxter
07-01-2017, 06:18 AM
We had a jansport last year he liked and held up well. He would not be caught dead with a rolling backpack. It's not the cool thing for middle school boys here. We had the high sierra from Costco but a chocolate milk box exploded in it and I could never get the smell out. It worked well for the time he used it. He's going into 8th grade

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2017, 08:10 AM
LLB original.
Wheels have never been allowed at any school we've attended.
No textbooks at our k-8 school. But lots in high school. Luckily there were extras of his math and history and he could keep a set at home (the others stayed in the classroom). His English book was crazy heavy.

mom2binsd
07-01-2017, 09:23 AM
A rolling backpack won't fit in most lockers and I have never seen a middle school kid with one. I would ask around to see if textbooks will be carried etc. Also, ask what is popular, around here it's Nike, under armor, jansport or the local professional hockey or baseball team.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

JElaineB
07-01-2017, 09:56 AM
DS used the LL Bean Super Deluxe Book Pack which is their largest for 7th and 8th and he'll use it in high school next year. He still had physical textbooks in junior high but we bought our rented copies of them so he wouldn't have to carry them between school and home as they were very heavy.

liz
07-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Another LL Bean Super Deluxe user here for our middle schooler! I find LLBean holds up the best for backpacks. Wheeled backpacks are banned, plus they won't fit in the lockers. DS has to carry all of his class binders home every day, plus lunch, so his backpack was completely full. DS was happy with it. I waited until LLBean had their 20% off sale.

*myfoursons
07-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Yeah, rolling backpacks aren't a thing here for middle schoolers. Nike, UA, North Face, Jansport. My middle schooler uses an UA he's had for 3 years, still looks great despite him riding his bike in all kinds of weather to school and back.

Corie
07-01-2017, 02:41 PM
My son is going into 7th grade. He has an Oakley "kitchen sink" camo backpack.

squimp
07-01-2017, 04:46 PM
North Face Jester. She has had it for 3 years now and it looks great. I think she will use it again next year for 8th grade.

hillview
07-01-2017, 09:20 PM
L bean deluxe. He's love a tom bihn ...

Kindra178
07-02-2017, 08:20 AM
UA storm hustle for all three. It can hold a ton for middle school, including a binder that weighs more than my kid. Costco is selling the blue version online for 39.99.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

m4nash
07-02-2017, 08:22 AM
Under Armour Storm Recruit like this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016C9M4XI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498997059&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ua%2Bstorm%2Brecruit%2Bbackpack&dpPl=1&dpID=411Gfw47YWL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1). I paid $30 for it and it has held up well.

HannaAddict
07-02-2017, 12:40 PM
North Face with laptop sleeve. Heavy duty. No one has rolling as wouldn't fit in the locker and they don't use the backpacks class to class. They all have three inch binders with straps that look like messenger bags and that is what they take class to class.

JBaxter
07-02-2017, 12:56 PM
No lockers here. Everything gets carried but still no wheeled ones

Pennylane
07-02-2017, 09:32 PM
My son is going into 7th grade. He has an Oakley "kitchen sink" camo backpack.

These look great but wow, they are super expensive !

Ann

SnuggleBuggles
07-02-2017, 09:44 PM
These look great but wow, they are super expensive !

Ann

That backpack's something! My kiddo would probably lose everything bc there are so many pockets!

bisous
07-02-2017, 09:50 PM
My middle schooler likes the High Sierra backpacks from Costco. I just got one for $14.99 on sale. :)

smilequeen
07-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Thanks :) Lots to show him (although he probably still won't care!). Definitely no wheels. He won't use a hockey bag with wheels, no way would he use a backpack with wheels :)

rlu
07-03-2017, 01:02 PM
embark jartop from target

https://www.target.com/p/embark-153-17-recycled-content-jartop-backpack-camouflage/-/A-16860992

I don't see a laptop compartment. His school is 1 to 1 computer/tablets, but they stay in the classroom. They use google so the kids can access their work from home/library computers. I know the school offers ways for kids to access (I think at lunch time and after school hours) if they don't have internet at home.

DS really likes this backpack. He rides his bike to school so it's fairly compact on his back but opens nice and wide for the binder, lunch bag, pencil box, etc. He had a locker but rarely used it, preferring to carry his backpack around. Class room set of books. He did bring home three text books that stayed at home until end of school.

mom2binsd
07-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Thanks :) Lots to show him (although he probably still won't care!). Definitely no wheels. He won't use a hockey bag with wheels, no way would he use a backpack with wheels :)

No self respecting hockey player carries a hockey bag with wheels!!!! Smart kid!

KpbS
07-03-2017, 11:27 PM
DS has the LL Bean Quad Pack. It is large and sturdy. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88640?feat=816-GN1&page=quad-pack&csp=f