PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go from being a stomach sleeper to back sleeper? How?

okinawama
07-06-2017, 08:18 AM
This is a silly question, but genuinely am having a hard time, so I thought I'd see if anyone has BTDT advice. Due to back pain, I'd like to try and "train" myself to go from a belly sleeper, to a back sleeper, but I'm finding it SO difficult. I start on my back at the beginning of the night, but I just can't actually fall asleep on my back. The second I flip to my stomach, I'm out. I've always been a stomach sleeper except for during pregnancy, and even during that time, I slept on my side, but as far onto my stomach as possible. Has anyone successfully gone from a stomach sleeper to a back (or even side) sleeper?

specialp
07-06-2017, 09:04 AM
I put a large Euro pillow under knees/thighs. It takes me forever to fall asleep, but once I do the pillow keeps me from flipping over which is my bigger issue. I have no success long term, but if my back and hip are bothering me I have to sleep on my back for a few weeks. I'm more of a side sleeper, but only sleep on one side.

khm
07-06-2017, 09:53 AM
This is a silly question, but genuinely am having a hard time, so I thought I'd see if anyone has BTDT advice. Due to back pain, I'd like to try and "train" myself to go from a belly sleeper, to a back sleeper, but I'm finding it SO difficult. I start on my back at the beginning of the night, but I just can't actually fall asleep on my back. The second I flip to my stomach, I'm out. I've always been a stomach sleeper except for during pregnancy, and even during that time, I slept on my side, but as far onto my stomach as possible. Has anyone successfully gone from a stomach sleeper to a back (or even side) sleeper?

It is HARD! I think it is super hard-wired. I'm a left-side sleeper. Due to a recent medical issue, I really can't sleep left-side anymore. But I cannot not WANT to. It isn't comfortable if I find myself there, but man, I still want to.

Could you swap sides with your husband, just to see if the change would help? Use pillows / body pillows. Start almost on the stomach like you did when preg, then try and move more and more away from that position?

acmom
07-06-2017, 10:44 PM
I used to be totally a stomach sleeper, but after 3 pregnancies, I have moved to a side/back sleeper. Part of it was just pregnancy changing my habits I think, but another key for me is that I now sleep with more and/or puffier pillows. When I was a stomach sleeper, I used a very flat pillow and often ended up with my head flat on the bed. Now I sleep with 2 pillows stacked or one bigger one. This seems to keep me on my back or at least side.

almostmom
07-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Practice! The more you do it, the more normal it will seem. I sleep all ways (and DH and I even switch bed sides every few nights), but I do love sleeping on my stomach. But it doesn't do well with my back these days. You could try putting a thin pillow under your stomach, and one under your shins - that helps with alignment when on your stomach. On your back, put a pillow or two under your knees. It won't be as good for awhile, but eventually you will get used to it and sleep better!

okinawama
07-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Thank you everyone! So many great suggestions!