PDA

View Full Version : Tips for teaching kids to take shirts off right side out?

WatchingThemGrow
07-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Just folded kids' clothes and 30 shirts were inside out. Makes me insane. Is there a good video or saying about how to take clothes off right side out? (DH does my laundry and claims im guilty as well, lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boogiemom
07-07-2017, 10:05 AM
No games that I know of, unfortunately. My kids, now 15&12, do their own laundry but when I did it and had this issue, I simply laid all inside out clothing to the side and they had to come and turn them right side out and fold/hang themselves. I matter-of-factly instituted that to save my time and sanity. Frankly, it didn't result in a change but did relieve my frustration and give them practice with folding/hanging. :-)

JBaxter
07-07-2017, 10:07 AM
I just leave mine that way. I always found it easier on prints on the fronts of shirts I have a few lularoe tops & leggings and they actually instruct you to wash them inside out to reduce the likelihood of fading.

sariana
07-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Most clothes should be washed inside out, not just for fading but for protecting other items from zippers and other things. Just turn everything right again before putting things away.

It's funny--I teach my kids to turn things inside out.

mmsmom
07-07-2017, 10:31 AM
I like them right side out so I can check for stains that need to be pretreated. I then turn inside out for those that need to be. My kids are 8 & 10. I make them sort their laundry. DS quickly discovered how long it took to turn everything right side out so he now makes sure it is correct before it goes into the hamper. DD hasn't caught on yet.

okinawama
07-07-2017, 10:32 AM
My boys just grab the back of the neckline on the shirt (near where the tag is located) and pull it over their head as their arms raise. My husband does it that way as well and I think my boys picked up on it. I've never thought about how it does a good job of keeping the shirt ride side out, but I guess it does.

SnuggleBuggles
07-07-2017, 10:35 AM
How it goes in the laundry is how it comes out and into the drawers/ hangers. It's never bothered me so no help here

Green_Tea
07-07-2017, 10:47 AM
My kids fold and put away their own laundry so it's their problem, not mine :). They will turn stuff right side out before they wear it, and it doesn't get any less clean going through the wash inside out.

SnuggleBuggles
07-07-2017, 11:12 AM
My kids fold and put away their own laundry so it's their problem, not mine :). They will turn stuff right side out before they wear it, and it doesn't get any less clean going through the wash inside out.

Meant to include that in my post. Mine are responsible for that stuff too so if they want it different it's up to them.

bisous
07-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Most clothes should be washed inside out, not just for fading but for protecting other items from zippers and other things. Just turn everything right again before putting things away.

It's funny--I teach my kids to turn things inside out.

Me too! I also find that it is better for my laundry.

I've taught my kids how to turn things inside out though, (or right side out), and they enjoy it. We put our whole arm through the arm (or leg) and grab the edge, the pull it all the way through. Does that make sense?

AnnieW625
07-07-2017, 12:46 PM
This has never bothered me and we wash a lot of things inside out especially pants.

lizzywednesday
07-07-2017, 01:56 PM
I just leave mine that way. I always found it easier on prints on the fronts of shirts ...

:yeahthat:

I also wash socks and blue jeans inside-out.

ETA: It's DD's job to turn them right-side out when we match socks together.

chottumommy
07-07-2017, 02:21 PM
I leave mine the way they remove it. If its inside out it goes the same way on the hanger. DH prefers it inside out so he can see the sizes clearly. The kids put the laundry away. They turn it right side out when they wear it. It doesn't bother them and it doesn't bother me. I am way past checking for stains, except on their nicer clothes. If the stains bother the kids, they come and tell me and I try to take them out. But they are past the spill stage and most stains come out in the wash.

JBaxter
07-07-2017, 02:27 PM
:yeahthat:

I also wash socks and blue jeans inside-out.

ETA: It's DD's job to turn them right-side out when we match socks together.

Normal socks yes not soccer socks OMG when they accidently get washed inside out and you turn them right "southern" grass is all stuck in them.

belovedgandp
07-07-2017, 02:27 PM
DH drove me crazy well before we had kids with inside out shirts. Then I learned he actually puts on his t-shirts in this weird way where they start out inside out and he pulls them the "right way" as it goes over his head.

So, yes, as shirts come into the laundry they go out. Summer time means kids do their own laundry. During school if they get it to the room on laundry day I wash but they have to fold and put away.

123LuckyMom
07-07-2017, 04:01 PM
I put them away inside out! Actually, I hang most items, and the kids put them away, but I put things on the hanger the way they come out of the dryer most of the time. DD pulls her shirts and dresses off by the neck, and they come off right side out. DS lifts his overhead from the waist so they come off inside out. I'm also a waist lifter, but I usually turn my clothes right side out before putting them in the basket or when putting them away. If it's important to you, I'd insist on this step. The only laundry basket rule I insist on is that no clothes are left nesting-- no undies inside pants or long sleeved tees inside short sleeved ones. I figure if it bothers DS to have his clothes inside out, he'll shift them himself. He's 8 and perfectly capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

twowhat?
07-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Haha, this doesn't bother me either because most shirts should be washed inside-out but what DOES bother the HECK out of me is balled up socks (seriously - at least shake them out before tossing them in the laundry!) and not checking pockets (worst offenders - kleenex and chapstick). DH and kids are all guilty of this.

lizzywednesday
07-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Normal socks yes not soccer socks OMG when they accidently get washed inside out and you turn them right "southern" grass is all stuck in them.

Fortunately, we do not have that issue! (DD doesn't play any sports. Yet.)

Kindra178
07-09-2017, 12:15 AM
I am an inside outer too. I charge them 1 a shirt I need to right side in

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Globetrotter
07-09-2017, 03:16 AM
We wash inside out so that would work for me 😀

pastrygirl
07-09-2017, 06:40 AM

Same here. Inside out does drive me crazy, though. I ask them to fix all shirts before they hang them. But I care less and less as time goes on. I'm not really involved once their clothing comes out of the dryer!

jgenie
07-09-2017, 07:56 AM
For those of you that have your kids folding and putting away their own laundry, how old are your kids? What age did they start folding and putting away their laundry? We hang most clothes so having my kids start doing that makes total sense to me.

jren
07-09-2017, 01:41 PM
For those of you that have your kids folding and putting away their own laundry, how old are your kids? What age did they start folding and putting away their laundry? We hang most clothes so having my kids start doing that makes total sense to me.

My 13 year old does her own laundry start to finish, including putting it away. I'm thinking she started around 12. She was folding and putting away before that though. I'm sure her clothes aren't folded perfectly in her drawers. She can't fold a towel to save her life.

Green_Tea
07-09-2017, 02:11 PM

My kids have be responsible for this task since I went back to work full time about 5 years ago. At the time they were 6, 8, and 9. They didn't do the task well, but I really didn't care if their shorts and T shirts were neatly folded or not because I needed the task off my plate. Even a 4 or 5 year old should be able to put away their own laundry. If they can fold paper, they can fold a shirt :).

belovedgandp
07-09-2017, 02:44 PM
Putting away in drawers by 4 or 5. Folding from dryer and putting away is a first grade-ish thing for us so usually 7. Doing laundry start to finish is expected by 10, so lots of little lessons over the summer at 8 and 9.

pastrygirl
07-10-2017, 08:30 AM

My 7yo and 11yo have been doing it for at least a year. We hang all tops. The rest is a mess in their drawers, but I don't care. My older son was very interested in Konmari folding a couple of years ago, and he kept it up for a while.

They live out of their clean laundry basket (unsorted/unfolded) if they don't put their stuff away. I try to make them put it away once a week.

SASM
07-10-2017, 10:11 PM
I also prefer that my kids and DH have everything inside out...prolongs the life of the designs and material. It drives me NUTS when DH goes through the laundry before running it and turns everything right-side out!!