PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a toaster AND a toaster oven?

Corie
07-13-2017, 08:23 PM
I'm curious about toaster ovens. But I have never owned one nor did I grow up in a house with one.

Does a toaster oven take the place of my toaster? Or do I keep both?

What do you use a toaster oven for?

Thanks for clearing this up for me!! :)

AngB
07-13-2017, 08:39 PM
We use a toaster oven and do not have a toaster. We use it for toast, grilled cheese, waffles, etc. We honestly don't use it a ton though and could easily live without it.

JBaxter
07-13-2017, 08:39 PM
I've never owned one either. I have a toaster and an air fryer but I have a double oven range.

Mommy_Mea
07-13-2017, 08:49 PM
We have a toaster oven only, and use it ALL the time. We use it in place of the oven, making chicken nuggets, warming up tortillas, and occasionally toast.

SnuggleBuggles
07-13-2017, 08:50 PM
Love my toaster oven. We use it to toast, reheat leftovers (like pizza and fries) and bake small batches of stuff. My in laws had a crappy one- I think it was too big. It took forever. Mine is only big enough to toast 2 slices at a time. Quick, even and efficient. It was also only $30 20 years ago- Black and Decker.
Toasters annoy me. They aren't versatile enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trcy
07-13-2017, 08:53 PM
I have this (an older model though)https://www.target.com/p/hamilton-beach-ss-black-hb-toaststation-22720/-/A-14563461
I mostly use the oven for reheating foods and small oven jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

niccig
07-13-2017, 09:34 PM
I have a small toaster oven that doesn't toast well and I only used oven part to roast nuts. I'm getting rid of it and getting a better toaster.

Any recommendations for a toaster that toasts well and isn't $100?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

jerseygirl07067
07-13-2017, 10:02 PM
We have only a toaster oven and not a pop up toaster due to lack of counter space. We use it all the time, mostly to reheat small amounts of food, make grilled cheese which is popular in our house esp when the kids have friends over, or to toast bagels, waffles, etc. I do love the pop up for bagels, but we just don't have the space and this works great!

georgiegirl
07-13-2017, 10:24 PM
We only have a toaster oven, and we use it daily. We make toast, cheese toast, waffles, and to bake small batches of things, like French fries, individual pizzas, quesadillas, latkes, chicken nuggets, and to reheat food. Ours actually broke this morning, and I ran out to Costco to buy a new one today since I knew it would be a struggle to last more than a day without ours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elizabethkott
07-13-2017, 10:41 PM
We only have a toaster oven, and like others, use it daily. It does everything a regular toaster would be used for and then some. Reheating pizza, chicken nuggets, fries, a bunch of stuff from the frozen section at Trader Joe's... I love that thing with the passion of a thousand burning suns!!!

specialp
07-13-2017, 10:48 PM
We were gifted both at different times and still have both, but the toaster oven is used more.

klwa
07-14-2017, 08:06 AM
I only have a toaster oven & use it all of the time. Toasting things, obviously, but also reheating pizza, or fixing a quick meal for the kids.

Pear
07-14-2017, 08:25 AM
We keep our toaster in a cabinet. The toaster oven is our daily toaster (Dd eats toast daily). It is slower than the toaster at making toast, but it is so useful that it is worth the tradeoff. The main appeal is that it doesn't heat up the kitchen as much.

mikala
07-14-2017, 08:34 AM
I have both but put away the standard toaster and left the toaster oven on the counter. I have a breville and use it for pretty much anything that fits inside- chicken tenders, toasting nuts, toasted cheese, cinnamon rolls, pizza, quiche, even pies.

lizzywednesday
07-14-2017, 08:39 AM
I have a toaster oven that I can switch to convection and do not have a separate toaster.

I use it for the usual (toast, frozen waffles, etc.) and for things I'd normally heat up in the oven when the outside temp is over 90F, like taco shells.

I'm definitely sure I could use it a lot more than I do!

jgenie
07-14-2017, 09:14 AM
I have both but put away the standard toaster and left the toaster oven on the counter. I have a breville and use it for pretty much anything that fits inside- chicken tenders, toasting nuts, toasted cheese, cinnamon rolls, pizza, quiche, even pies.

This is us exactly. I'm trying to decide how long to keep our toaster before donating it. We haven't pulled it out in at least a month.

legaleagle
07-14-2017, 10:20 AM
I've never in my life owned a regular slot toaster - always had a toaster oven growing up. We've had the largest size breville for quite a few years and use it multiple times a day,so much that I've purchased cookware/bakeware specifically that fits.

ang79
07-14-2017, 10:27 AM
We have both but I haven't used the 4 slice toaster in over a year - put it away when we were selling our house to declutter the counter tops, then didn't have space in our tiny apartment when we were in between houses, then decided the toaster over works fine for what we need so haven't pulled the slice toaster back out of storage. Its in a pile of stuff to be donated now. We use the toaster oven almost daily to make toast, bagels, English muffins, as well as baking small stuff (cresent rolls, chicken nuggets, french fries, reheating stuff, cheesy toast, kale chips, etc.). My 8x8 glass pan just fits into our toaster to I've even baked fish in it a few times. When this one breaks, I'd like to get a slightly larger one (this was a gift from MIL when our old one broke).

bisous
07-14-2017, 10:50 AM
We don't use both. We only use the toaster oven. I don't really love our oven for making toast though. Toasters are comparatively so much easier! Still, since I use our toaster oven all the time, I'm not willing to give ours up and since our kitchen is tiny, having a separate toaster seems redundant so...

Maybe you should ask for recommendations for toaster ovens that also make great toast. I'm not such a fan of the cheap one that we purchased from Costco for toast, though it functions just fine for everything else!

MMMommy
07-14-2017, 11:29 AM
We have a Breville toaster oven only and use it daily for toasting, reheating, cooking, etc. I rely on it so much more than the regular oven!

scrooks
07-14-2017, 11:32 AM
I had never had a toaster oven until 3 years ago we were replaced our toaster and with a breville toaster oven. Love it for the reasons others have stated.... reheating and cooking things like pizzas, chicken nuggets and fries without heating up the entire kitchen! It's awesome!

123LuckyMom
07-14-2017, 12:03 PM
I've never had a toaster, just a toaster oven. It makes toast, but I also use it as a small oven to reheat (or even cook) food. It preheats much faster than my big oven, so it's really useful as an oven as well.

ang79
07-14-2017, 12:10 PM
We don't use both. We only use the toaster oven. I don't really love our oven for making toast though. Toasters are comparatively so much easier! Still, since I use our toaster oven all the time, I'm not willing to give ours up and since our kitchen is tiny, having a separate toaster seems redundant so...

Maybe you should ask for recommendations for toaster ovens that also make great toast. I'm not such a fan of the cheap one that we purchased from Costco for toast, though it functions just fine for everything else!

Mine is a small Black and Decker. It has a toast setting, you just have to make sure the temp. isn't too high or you end you with really crunchy toast! It also has a bagel setting, which mainly toasts just the top of the bagel, rather than top and bottom like the toast setting.

AnnieW625
07-14-2017, 12:22 PM
We just have a toaster, a 4 slice Oster toaster ($40 or so from Target) (https://www.target.com/p/oster-174-4-slice-long-slot-toaster-stainless-steel-tssttrjb30r/-/A-16972602?sid=1328S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Appliances+Shopping_Brand&adgroup=SC_Appliances&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9031093&gclid=CjwKEAjw16HLBRDF9L2UmOCH7U8SJAASVESoTAAOpR9i j7CE76bLVuKmM_ighI5Ol-UOxvZ5Ktyj6hoCyRvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds). I grew up without a toaster oven, but got a $30 Proctor Silex one as a college graduation gift (from our toaster oven only neighbors) and I used that for 4 yrs. until I upgraded to a DeLonghi and it lasted maybe 3 yrs. (moral: I should've kept the basic Proctor Silex). I vacillate between wanting another toaster oven, and not getting one because of lack of counter space.

I rec. the toaster we have and we had the 2 slice model for 6 yrs. before I finally replaced it with the 4 slice model (last year) and our 2 slice model for daily use. The Oster has been better than the fancy Breville that barely lasted 2 yrs (and the Cuisinart I had before that that maybe lasted 3), although the Breville when it worked toasted super evenly.

squimp
07-14-2017, 02:20 PM
We have a 4-slice Krups toaster that we got more than 10 years ago. I used to have a toaster oven but seems I can live without it.

niccig
07-14-2017, 03:28 PM
What people use a toaster oven for, I use other things or don't cook foods you would use in a toaster oven (DS never a fan of chicken nuggets) I have a double oven with the top oven being smaller, so i use that for pizza or broiling. I do have a sandwich press I use for grilled cheese, DH makes his in skillet on stove as prefers it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

niccig
07-14-2017, 03:33 PM
I rec. the toaster we have and we had the 2 slice model for 6 yrs. before I finally replaced it with the 4 slice model (last year) and our 2 slice model for daily use. The Oster has been better than the fancy Breville that barely lasted 2 yrs (and the Cuisinart I had before that that maybe lasted 3), although the Breville when it worked toasted super evenly.

I'll look at that. We don't eat much toast, generally just on weekends if DH makes bacon and eggs, so I don't need a fancy model.

baymom
07-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Love my toaster oven. We use it to toast, reheat leftovers (like pizza and fries) and bake small batches of stuff. My in laws had a crappy one- I think it was too big. It took forever. Mine is only big enough to toast 2 slices at a time. Quick, even and efficient. It was also only $30 20 years ago- Black and Decker.
Toasters annoy me. They aren't versatile enough.

:yeahthat: We use our toaster over daily--mostly to make toast, but also to heat up/bake other things. I can't imagine having a regular toaster taking up counter space since it only has one function.

AnnieW625
07-14-2017, 05:37 PM
What people use a toaster oven for, I use other things or don't cook foods you would use in a toaster oven (DS never a fan of chicken nuggets) I have a double oven with the top oven being smaller, so i use that for pizza or broiling. I do have a sandwich press I use for grilled cheese, DH makes his in skillet on stove as prefers it that way.

We use our oven too or the microwave. I cook my grilled cheese or quesadillas on cast iron griddle or when I make tuna mac n cheese I have a sandwich press. Both of them take up way less space than a toaster oven.

okinawama
07-14-2017, 06:01 PM
I just got a toaster oven, and foresee us getting rid of our toaster. While there are other kitchen tools that do the same job as the toaster oven, I'm trying to simplify and declutter my kitchen, and I'm hoping I'll enjoy having one large item do the job a few smaller ones (kind of like the instant pot). We also live in a hot location, and the toaster oven seems to put off less heat than our stove top or oven, so during the summer I see it being our go to appliance.

pastrygirl
07-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Just a toaster oven. The big Breville. I use it daily for toast and my son reheats homemade waffles in it.

mackmama
07-15-2017, 11:54 AM
I've only ever had a regular toaster but have always wanted a toaster oven. When our toaster breaks I'll switch to a toaster oven.

bcafe
07-15-2017, 12:33 PM
We use the toaster oven almost exclusively. We use it for everything from baking bacon to crisping up leftovers. I also don't like using the big oven in the summer.

aa2mama
07-16-2017, 11:29 PM
T

Kindra178
07-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Toaster oven. We use the toaster oven every day, usually for multiple meals. I have never had a traditional toaster.

almostmom
07-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Love love love my breville toaster oven! We have a smaller version. It toasts things PERFECTLY and is great as a small oven. Never had a pop-up toaster in my life and don't see a need for one!

zukeypur
08-12-2017, 10:12 PM
For those of you who have a toaster oven, which ones make the best toast? We have a cheap one that is completely worthless when it comes to toast. I have been making toast in the huge wall oven lately, which takes forever and heats up the kitchen. Not good in Texas in the summer. I would love a good toaster oven that makes good toast. That doesn't seem like too much to ask.

abh5e8
08-13-2017, 12:35 AM
I just got a toaster oven, and foresee us getting rid of our toaster. While there are other kitchen tools that do the same job as the toaster oven, I'm trying to simplify and declutter my kitchen, and I'm hoping I'll enjoy having one large item do the job a few smaller ones (kind of like the instant pot). We also live in a hot location, and the toaster oven seems to put off less heat than our stove top or oven, so during the summer I see it being our go to appliance.Just curious... What other kitchen appliances will you get rid of, and use the toaster oven instead?

Ours just died last month... After over ten years! I'm making toast in my regular oven for now, and trying to decide what to replace it with. We don't eat frozen chicken nuggets or pizza, and rarely have left over Pizza. Left over waffles go in the big oven.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
08-14-2017, 12:55 AM
For those of you who have a toaster oven, which ones make the best toast? We have a cheap one that is completely worthless when it comes to toast. I have been making toast in the huge wall oven lately, which takes forever and heats up the kitchen. Not good in Texas in the summer. I would love a good toaster oven that makes good toast. That doesn't seem like too much to ask.
TBH I always preferred toast in the toaster even when I had a toaster oven. I did like making Parmesan cheese toast in the toaster oven, but I just make that in the oven now (which is how my mom made it growing up).

KrisM
08-14-2017, 07:26 AM
We don't have either a toaster or toaster oven. We've never had just a toaster, but did have a toaster oven for quite a few years. Now, we have a double oven with the smaller oven on top and it has a toast setting. It works well and we just use that for toasting, reheating small things, etc. Actually we use it to cook much more often than we use the larger bottom oven. I love not having an appliance on the counter.

ilfaith
08-14-2017, 03:54 PM
We have a large Wolf toaster oven (technically, they call it a "countertop oven") that I actually use for most of my oven needs...from baking cookies (a dozen at a time) to roasting a chicken (but not a Thanksgiving turkey). Our regular oven (an enormous Thermador) takes forever to heat up...literally 50 minutes to get to 350 degrees...who has that kind of time to wait on a daily basis? I also use the Wolf for reheating, and for making toast...although if I am only making toast for one, I will use our pop-up toaster, because it is quicker. The Wolf takes about seven minutes to toast a bagel (medium setting)...but can toast three or four bagels (6-8 slices of bread) at a time.

citymama
08-14-2017, 04:29 PM
No. Just a toaster. I don't get toaster ovens. They take up counter space I don't have!

♥ms.pacman♥
08-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Yes. We have both. We don't use either that often, but we have the space. I also have a Vitamix AND a Blendtec, so love kitchen appliances i guess:)

I use toaster for frozen waffles and occasionally making toast. We use toaster oven for heating up pizza leftovers (it's mostly for kids, we often have leftovers when we go out for pizza with kids). Also toaster oven for heating up bread rolls. often time for dinner i will make some sort of meat dish and kids will take a plainer version of the meat and make sandwich with roll. we don't eat bread or rolls often though. still, i like having a toaster oven bc often we dont' have the patience/time to preheat regular oven for leftover pizza or rolls, and it gets soggy if you try to use the microwave.

i

gatorsmom
08-14-2017, 04:45 PM
We only have a toaster. I didn't grow up with a toaster oven and neither did DH. His parents don't have one now, that I've seen. I didn't have one in college either and don't know anyone who did. Our kids eat toast or toasted bagels almost daily and I have plenty of countertop appliances (parked in their appliance garages) so space wasn't the issue. I guess I didn't know what I was missing.

The posts here have me thinking a toaster oven might be the perfect Christmas present for Dh for the lake house (where he does most of the cooking).

mom2khj
08-15-2017, 08:48 AM
Toaster oven only. Love that thing!!

zukeypur
08-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Toaster oven only. Love that thing!!

Which one do you have?

rin
08-16-2017, 01:47 AM
Like PPs, we use our toaster oven all the time, probably more than the oven. We make toast, bagels, open faced sandwiches, cheese toast, leftover waffles or pancakes, and cooking anything that I can fit inside it (since it won't warm the kitchen up as much as turning on the main oven). Ours is a 'convection oven' combined with a toaster oven, although it's a cheap one so I wouldn't use it for real baking of things like cupcakes. I have made cookies in it though!

zukeypur
08-18-2017, 06:54 PM
I just bought this one at BBB. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00357YS3A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

jennilynn
08-19-2017, 07:51 PM
We use a toaster oven and do not have a toaster. We use it for toast, grilled cheese, waffles, etc. We honestly don't use it a ton though and could easily live without it.

I use my toaster oven a lot but never thought to make grilled cheese in it!

SnuggleBuggles
08-19-2017, 08:23 PM
I use my toaster oven a lot but never thought to make grilled cheese in it!

Ha! I tried that once and my family totally rejected it. They want buttery grilled bread, not toasted cheese sandwiches evidently. :)