PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still use Zoku? Who had that daily blog?

bisous
07-14-2017, 10:57 AM
I remember someone on here having a daily blog on Zoku popsicles. Do you still use yours? I'm looking to get more healthy foods into my kids. Two of my four will drink a smoothie with a great variety of fruits and vegetables in it. TWo of mine WON'T. I'm wondering if I might be m ore successful with a popsicle delivery system! Anyone have any experience with this? I feel like I want to try before I buy...

FWIW, I know that whole fruits are better and healthier. We do try to eat a lot of those too, for sure. I've just been using smoothies to get more veggies/fruits or to use up those that don't look beautiful or are about to go bad. Fruit smoothies and veggie quiches are my garbage disposals that help me feel better about overbuying produce. Much less waste!

TIA!

♥ms.pacman♥
07-14-2017, 02:11 PM
subscribing to this thread, bc i want to know too! :) i recall the whole Zoku craze of 2013-2014 and i always debated getting one (or the Walmart knock-off) but never did. now that it's nearly triple-digits and is SO hot here, and my kids loove popsicles, i'm interested again, even though they don't seem to be as popular anymore. i have a vitamix, blendtec and regular popsicle molds but my kids aren't super interested in "natural" popsicles...pops take long to make, etc. i think they would be more interested if we could make them together (with adding things like banana slices, etc) and then eat them within a few minutes. there's a boutique popsicle shop we go to that sells healthy pops with whole fruit for $4 a piece and my kids love those, but it would of course be nice to make them at home and add things like spinach etc to them. my kids will eat fresh fruit by the ton but i have one kid that is not keen on veggies and it would be great to find a way to sneak those in as well.

i'm curious to those who got Zoku how it has held up over the years. also, where is cheapest place to get them. It looks like there are no longer many deals and the cheapest is $50?

babyonway
07-14-2017, 03:32 PM
We use ours not all the time but it is fun to bring it out and make Popsicles and it has held up well. Anonomom had the blog but I don't think it is kept up.

https://ourdailypop.wordpress.com/

anonomom
07-14-2017, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I made it like six months of posting daily, then sporadically for a few months after that. Then my zoku broke and I gave up.

bisous
07-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I made it like six months of posting daily, then sporadically for a few months after that. Then my zoku broke and I gave up.

It was you! I thought it was someone with an "A" name. Did your kids all of the pops? Would you buy it again?

anonomom
07-14-2017, 05:32 PM
It was you! I thought it was someone with an "A" name. Did your kids all of the pops? Would you buy it again?

Tough question. My kids loved the pops. But the healthiest pops require a fair amount of work -- if you want real fruit, you have to blend it, etc. These days, there are several pre-made pop options out there that are easier (if not actually cheaper in the long run). That said, I think the zoku is awesome for juice pops or milk-based pops, and I miss it for those.

I also have a set of silicone push-up pop sleeves that are very easy. When I make smoothies, I pour the leftovers in and freeze it for later. Same basic effect as the Zoku, but with less effort since I'm already making a smoothie.

bisous
07-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Tough question. My kids loved the pops. But the healthiest pops require a fair amount of work -- if you want real fruit, you have to blend it, etc. These days, there are several pre-made pop options out there that are easier (if not actually cheaper in the long run). That said, I think the zoku is awesome for juice pops or milk-based pops, and I miss it for those.

I also have a set of silicone push-up pop sleeves that are very easy. When I make smoothies, I pour the leftovers in and freeze it for later. Same basic effect as the Zoku, but with less effort since I'm already making a smoothie.

Thank you for sharing that. Maybe with better planning I can just use a simpler and cheaper method. At least that way I'll know if the kids will eat it before I shell out the money for the Zoku.

ang79
07-15-2017, 12:42 AM

No zoku here but I do the same thing with leftover smoothies, just freeze them in popsicle molds (the cheap IKEA ones work great!). I do have some of the push up ones but you have to be careful about cleaning them well (I had some trouble getting the inside of the tip truly clean).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

specialp
07-15-2017, 08:43 AM
^^ Same. I have 2 cheap sets of single small proportion popsicles that live in my freezer. It’s our summer thing to have popsicles on the patio ever night after we’ve taken the dog for a long walk. I'm not creative though. I just use coconut milk and frozen fruit - a mixture of bought frozen and whatever berries and bananas I've put in there that are starting to get too ripe.