PDA

View Full Version : How to survive a bathroom remodel with one bathroom?

AnnieW625
07-14-2017, 12:39 PM
DH and I finally decided to remodel our bathroom and are at the beginning of working with a designer and contractor. We only have one bathroom and are planning on living in our home during the remodel (we cannot afford to move out and rent). We need a new tub shower and built in vanity for sure plus new tile backsplash and tile in the shower. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Do you have access to a gym for showers?

AnnieW625
07-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Yes DH and I do, but our kids don't as they aren't members (we belong to LA Fitness). I also have a shower at work. DD2 uses the swim shower once a week and showers after swim class. My kids shower every other day.

ahisma
07-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Can you join a YMCA for a month? Ours has no initiation or termination fee. It's about $100/month for a family.

WatchingThemGrow
07-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Outdoor shower? :)

niccig
07-14-2017, 03:58 PM
The Y may be a good idea. Consider it a remodel cost - we used fluff and fold at laundromat for 3 months as didn't have washer/dryer and considered it part of remodel cost. Can you schedule work to be done when one of you can take the girls out of town to see family? Even if just for part of the work. Our construction crew had a porta potty to use, if that's part of the remodel, then you could use it too - though I know that's not ideal. How friendly are you with your neighbors? Is there McDonalds or some restaurant nearby where can use the restroom? You can also do sponge baths from kitchen sink - not same as shower and washing hair, but the girls could go longer between showers. We did this a lot as kids as my grandparents farm only had rainwater from collection tanks.

Chose, purchase, have delivered all materials so don't have to wait on anything.

I'd want a schedule for the work to see how long this might take. For our remodel, demo was very quick as was framing and rough electrical and plumbing. Things slowed down with finish work, as that takes longer - tiling bathroom was 2 days. We also got held up with inspections as had to wait for city inspector to check before they could move onto the next phase. Find out how much of bathroom can be left functioning eg the toilet and have them tell you when can't use it, if possible in advance so can plan to be out of house longer before go home. DS and I had some afternoons at Starbucks, restaurant for dinner then back to Starbucks as couldn't walk on new floor for several hours.

Dust will be tracked through your house as they go in/out to the bathroom. If you can, block off access to living areas - we had a zip plastic wall and a piece of plywood blocking a hallway to keep living areas as clean as possible.

It's going to be a pain during construction, but you'll get through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

sadbunny
07-14-2017, 04:24 PM
We did this! We had one bathroom and had to remodel due to a leak, and could not afford to be in a hotel. Unfortunately construction went on and off for nearly 3 weeks! I showered at work (there was a work gym) and hubby bounced around his gym, and friends. The kids showered at different friend's places (if they had a playdate for example). It was very stressful! But we soon forgot about how hard it was when we had a beautiful new bathroom. Good luck!

Mommy_Mea
07-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Our contractor said that for a bathroom remodel he did that was the only bathroom, he put the toilet back every night.

He also said he could do our bathroom (only full bath) in 10-14 days. We would use the YMCA during that time.

AnnieW625
07-14-2017, 05:29 PM
Thanks. The YMCA is about 1/2 mile from our house and I did think about that as well and we have thought about joining there too since they renovated that location two years ago. Thanks for all of the insight. Depending on when they start we could go away for a weekend. I am also not entirely sure we are going to replace the bathroom floor so the toilet may not have to be removed at all except to replace it. We are also not home between 7:30 and 5:30 M-F so they should be able to get a lot of stuff done during the day, but who knows.

niccig
07-14-2017, 05:43 PM
The shower you can work out. The toilet you need. Maybe like someone said above, the toilet is out back in each night.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)