PDA

View Full Version : If your kid gets an obscene amount of candy at their birthday party wwyd?

jerseygirl07067
07-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Such fun times with teenagers, hence my second post of the day! So my 13 year old had a birthday party on Friday. Her birthday is in December but we don't do it then because people are away so she likes to do it over the summer. Well apparently she told all of her friends to get her candy. So essentially her friends got her a gift card and then candy on the side. And when I say candy, I'm not kidding. Some kids bought her six additional boxes of candy some kids bought an enormous gigantic size of Sour Patch Kids, and there were 17 kids at the party so this is enough to fill almost a hefty garbage bag. It's absolutely ridiculous. I talked to my DD and told her that we need to return some of this. I'm not saying she can't have some of it because she's a kid and kid should get to enjoy candy but the amount is ridiculous and I know she won't self regulate.

My options are to allow her to keep it allow her to have it in small amounts but honestly this will probably last for 2 years it's freaking ridiculous. The other option is to have her return a good amount of it and get store credit or cash back when she probably will because a lot of it came from Five Below.

WWYD? This is just so ridiculous. When my daughter has bought candy for her friends for their birthdays I told her she could add one box or one bar on to it but not like 6 boxes of these ginormous bags

SnuggleBuggles
07-16-2017, 02:56 PM
In my family, I would give it all to my teen. He'd probably gorge a day or 2 then it'd be a slow consumption. If I felt I had to hide some and dole it slowly, I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaxter
07-16-2017, 03:04 PM
I agree with SunggleBuggles shes 13 not 3. Let her have it. She may eat a bunch and stash a bunch. Unless shes a diabetic of has some medical condition that prohibits sugar.

essnce629
07-16-2017, 03:09 PM
In my family, I would give it all to my teen. He'd probably gorge a day or 2 then it'd be a slow consumption. If I felt I had to hide some and dole it slowly, I would.

Yep, I agree and I have a 13 year old as well. Ask her for some of your favorites too! 😂

I agree with SunggleBuggles shes 13 not 3. Let her have it. She may eat a bunch and stash a bunch. Unless shes a diabetic of has some medical condition that prohibits sugar.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Pear
07-16-2017, 03:15 PM
I'd leave it be. It's a good opportunity for her to learn self-regulation

Since the volume is so large, I would suggest she shares all but her favorites with the family.

petesgirl
07-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Have another party or movie night and bring out the candy to share with all her friends?

Green_Tea
07-16-2017, 09:03 PM
Have another party or movie night and bring out the candy to share with all her friends?

This is an excellent idea. Please don't make her return it. Candy is a super popular gift among teens. My girls were flooded with it on their birthdays. This is not a battle worth fighting - it will only damage your relationship with your daughter.

HannaAddict
07-17-2017, 01:39 AM
On a logistical note, have never heard of a store taking back candy and being able to resell it. She's a teen, I'd let her keep it.

ckso
07-17-2017, 05:25 AM
Will the store really take candy back? Especially, I assume, without receipt?

I would send it to the troops. That's what we end up doing with the crazy amount of Halloween candy we get from trick or treating.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Dayzy
07-17-2017, 07:50 AM
I remember in middle school we would make candy ribbons for our friends to wear on their birthdays. We would take a large gift bow and attach ribbons to it to hang down, then tape on a bag's worth of candy to the ribbons. We'd be trying to maneuver the school all day with Jolly Ranchers and Hershey Miniatures hanging off our waists.

trcy
07-17-2017, 07:53 AM
I would send it to the troops. That's what we end up doing with the crazy amount of Halloween candy we get from trick or treating.

I really like this idea!

KpbS
07-17-2017, 08:25 AM
Well, I would return a third, share a third with family, and let her keep a third.

Corie
07-17-2017, 09:44 AM

I don't understand sending a whole bunch of candy to the troops. I've mailed several care packages to the military overseas. I've
asked specifically what they want and candy was never on the list.

I'm not trying to be rude. I just really don't understand why everyone thinks that the troops want big boxes of candy.

JBaxter
07-17-2017, 10:08 AM
I don't understand sending a whole bunch of candy to the troops. I've mailed several care packages to the military overseas. I've

I'm not trying to be rude. I just really don't understand why everyone thinks that the troops want big boxes of candy.

And having brothers that served in Iraq chocolate melts in that heat. They never asked for candy either.

trcy
07-17-2017, 10:20 AM

I have seen boxes at CVS, Walgreens, etc where you can buy candy and put it in there to go to the troops. So that suggestion seemed like a kind gesture.

azzeps
07-17-2017, 10:49 AM
I'd cringe a whole lot, and I'd let her learn to self-regulate by eating it all in one go, or however she sees fit, as long as it's not right before dinner! She will not learn to self-regulate if you do not give her the opportunity.

vonfirmath
07-17-2017, 12:54 PM

My understanding was that they passed it out to kids in their localities.

JElaineB
07-17-2017, 01:02 PM
I like the idea of a movie night with her friends. However, if you want to get rid of some, you could ask her to donate some to a local food pantry (assuming it is still in boxes/bags). But I wouldn't force the issue, the candy is her birthday gifts after all.

specialp
07-17-2017, 03:48 PM
My understanding was that they passed it out to kids in their localities.

^^Yes. I had a friend who requested fun sized or individually wrapped non-melting candies that were easy to carry in their pockets and handed out to locals, but that was only on one of his deployments, not any others, and many years ago. I want to say 2006 or so.

I wouldn't take it back to the store. I'm sure they can't resell it and if they do, that' scary. I would see if she had any ideas of what to do with the excess since they were her gifts, but wouldn't force it either. Halloween isn't too far away so maybe you can unload some then and I'm sure some of her friends will be having b'days soon and she can regift some that isn't used.

elbenn
07-17-2017, 04:21 PM
On a logistical note, have never heard of a store taking back candy and being able to resell it. She's a teen, I'd let her keep it.

They may take it back, but they won't be able to resell it and will probably just throw it away.

ckso
07-21-2017, 05:41 AM

I can't say I know logistically how that works. But Operation Gratitude and I think Soldiers Angels ask for candy donation after Halloween to be sent it the troops. Many dentist office participate with incentives such as buy backs or non candy goody bags in exchange for kids bringing in candy to be sent to the troops.

So maybe that's why people think troops want candy...at least that's the case for me. I mean, obviously don't buy candy to be sent as I would rather use to the money to buy much more needed/wanted items that the troops might need. But we're talking about an abundance of candy that the OP don't know what to do with. Which is usually what happens to us at Halloween.