PDA

View Full Version : 1 day in Chicago with 10 yo boy

infocrazy
07-18-2017, 04:26 PM
DS2 and I will be in Chicago visiting family and plan to take the Saturday to go into the city (by train) and spend the day. What should we do? I have already promised a trip to Nike, FAO Shwartz, Dylan's... I was thinking Sears tower, Navy Pier? The Bean?

What else is must do? This is his first time there and we are suburbanites from MI.

Lunch or dinner ideas?

NCGrandma
07-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Is FAO Schwarz still in business?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

infocrazy
07-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Is FAO Schwarz still in business?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Ha! No it is not! Wow...been a bit since I was there too!

Kindra178
07-18-2017, 05:11 PM
Millenium Park/the Bean/Maggie Daley Park
Jordan store
Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower) (get there early!!)
Museum of Science and Industry
Do a boat ride from Navy Pier

Food
Garrett Popcorn
Shake Shack
The Gage for burgers
White Sox/Cubs

*myfoursons
07-18-2017, 06:41 PM
I second the Gage, and its right by the bean. Also the museum of science and industry is our top museum pick. There's a massive UA store that my boys love.

candaceb
07-18-2017, 07:19 PM
If you're doing Museum of Science & Industry, you won't have time for much else, so I would skip it this time. I agree with the recommendations for Millennium Park/Maggie Daley playground. If you're near Water Tower and your DS has any interest in LEGO, the LEGO store has a cool skyline in the front windows.

Kindra178
07-19-2017, 08:54 AM
I would say to take the train in early and go right to Willis. Get there 30 minutes or more before it opens. Waits can be two hours later in the day on a weekend. Willis is very convenient to the train. After Willis, hit millennium park. You can take the l there, from right behind Willis (Quincy stop, brown or orange line). Super fun to ride the l around the loop. Then have lunch and head to msi. You can hit msi in two hours if you do the big stuff. Then double back and get Garrett popcorn and hit the ua store.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

elephantmeg
07-19-2017, 10:15 AM
our favorite is museum of science and industry if you are looking for a full day activity. Otherwise the lego store is also popular!

mommytotwo
07-24-2017, 11:32 PM
Museum of Science and Industry or the Shedd Aquarium. Also, some Garrett's popcorn and deep dish pizza are some of our food favorites.

gobadgers
07-25-2017, 01:10 AM
Riding the el around the loop really is so much fun. If the weather is nice, another cheap thrill is taking a water taxi from Union Station to Navy Pier.

The Museum of Science and Industry is such a great place, but if it's summer I'd opt for outside activities.

cilantromapuche
07-25-2017, 08:21 AM
We LOOOOVE Museum of science and industry but if you don't have a car it isn't easily reached (I think). Shedd aquarium is pretty cool. There is a great architectural tour if he is into that.