PDA

View Full Version : Gift for Girl Turning 9?

sariana
07-19-2017, 02:00 AM
I have a 9-year-old girl, so I should know. But my girl still favors dolls, and this girl strikes me as more mature or something. I'm not sure she's into dolls. She used to love Shopkins, but that was a year ago. I don't know now. She's smart, but I don't know her reading preferences or hobbies. My DD is no help.

So any cool ideas? B & M, please. (Target would be great.)

ETA: If it matters, they're rising 4th graders.

klwa
07-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Hmm. DD is that age as well, and it can be pretty variable for the girls she hangs out with.

Right now, Shopkins are still cool, but I can tell the interest in waning finally.

American Girl stuff is pretty popular. The modern girl books are especially prevalent. (Tenney, Gabriella, Z, Lea, etc.)

Crafting type stuff. (Once again, the American Girl crafts are my go to on this one. Michael's usually has them.)

DD also likes Legos, especially the Elves/Friends lines. DNiece, who is a grade ahead, likes the Super Hero Girls line.

Then there's always nicer costume jewelry.

nfceagles
07-19-2017, 09:14 AM
I feel like I should be able to help here too, but it's a tough age. I have a new 9 yr old, rising 4th grader. She's never been into dolls though. For my DD, crafts are a no brainer, but I know that varies just like the dolls. Maybe fashion plates. Or that classic toy that draws spiraling designs with gears (drawing a blank on the name right now). A fidget cube maybe. Maybe a cool outdoor toy like a light up hoolahoop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pear
07-19-2017, 10:49 AM
It is a tough age.

My 8.5 year old barely plays with toys anymore and she isn't big on crafts. She mostly wants video games these days.

I just got her a big pack of glitter gel pens during amazon prime day. She already had a few adult style coloring books. She was over the moon.

She also wants cases for holding colored pencils and pens.

acmom
07-19-2017, 10:53 AM
I have a DD turning 9 next month. We have been getting many of her friends a B&N gift card along with something else little and fun from there (so its not just a gift card). She often picks a book light, a cool bookmark (she likes those sets of magnetic clip ones), fun pens or a little journal.

We also gave a boogie board to one of her friends recently which her mom said was a big hit.

sariana
07-21-2017, 08:12 PM
Thank you for the ideas. We're going to go browse and see what we find.

ETA: We got one of those fashion plate sets. DD says the girl likes to draw. We got a gift receipt, just in case. :-)