PDA

View Full Version : backpacks for elementary school - LLB vs LE vs PBK?

TwoBees
07-20-2017, 12:28 PM
DD1 could use a new backpack this year. I have always been partial to LLB (and they added a water bottle pocket this year), but it looks like LE has stepped up its game in the past few years. Her current backpack is a PBK, which has held up far better than I would have thought - from day care through first grade and several summers at camp. I have even washed it a few times. But it is getting grungy and I think DD is tired of the pattern.

What brand and style works best for 2nd grade?

carolinacool
07-20-2017, 12:38 PM
My second-grader is using the PBK Fairfax bag he used last year. How did you wash yours? DS' has a tiny spot on it I'd like to try to get out.

I looked at LE's packs at Sears a couple of days ago. I liked the prints, but the fabric felt a bit thin. Maybe not a big deal if your kid isn't hard on things, but DS can be rough on things.

klwa
07-20-2017, 12:42 PM
We've had the LE bags for DS & DD1 since kindergarten, with no problems. Just the regular ClassMates. DS is on the Large size now, and DD is on a Medium, which she got in 2nd.

KrisM
07-20-2017, 12:52 PM
We used LE one year for DS1 and it didn't last the entire year before getting holes. I was surprised! He then got an LLB pack and has used that for 3 years now and it looks brand new.

TwoBees
07-20-2017, 12:55 PM
My second-grader is using the PBK Fairfield bag he used last year. How did you wash yours? DS' has a tiny spot on it I'd like to try to get out.

I looked at LE's packs at Sears a couple of days ago. I liked the prints, but the fabric felt a bit thin. Maybe not a big deal if your kid isn't hard on things, but DS can be rough on things.

DD1 has the Mackenzie. I put it in the washing machine on delicate, IIRC. Air dried. I have an old-fashioned top loader with an agitator. LOL.

Thanks for the info about the LE pack. DD1 is rough with her backpack.

TwoBees
07-20-2017, 12:56 PM
We used LE one year for DS1 and it didn't last the entire year before getting holes. I was surprised! He then got an LLB pack and has used that for 3 years now and it looks brand new.

Wow! I would expect the packs to last at least through the school year. Did you contact LE?

NCGrandma
07-20-2017, 01:06 PM
Wow! I would expect the packs to last at least through the school year. Did you contact LE?

My DGDs have definitely gotten much longer use from their LE packs. Given LE's usual warranty and customer service, I hope they didn't give you the brush off.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

PZMommy
07-20-2017, 01:17 PM
We just returned the Lands End backpacks that we ordered. The fabric felt so thin, and I doubt they would last a year. I was very disappointed.

We have had PBK backpacks that lasted 3 years, and would still make it another year, but my DS was tired of his pattern. We went ahead and ordered from PBK again, but this time he got a pattern from PB Teen. I liked the LL B ran backpacks, but he did not like any of the patterns.

KrisM
07-20-2017, 02:05 PM

I totally meant to, but never did. And then it got to be too long, I thought. The holes are along the zipper. We use it when we need an extra bag for travel in the car. It works for that.

I was really surprised. He's not super hard on them really. This was 3rd grade.

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2017, 02:17 PM
LLB backpacks are tanks, in our experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindra178
07-20-2017, 02:25 PM
What about Under Armour?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

AnnieW625
07-20-2017, 02:59 PM
DD2 is going on her 3rd year of the LLB original pack I bought her in kindergarten.

Dd1 had a preschool sized LLB pack from 2-5 and it would've worked for kinder, but she wanted a new one so I bought her a LE Classmate Medium in kindergarten (2011) and it lasted 3 yrs, but I didn't think the quality was as good as the preschool one we still have and occasionally use as an overnight bag (that bag is now 9 yrs. old). I also bought a small LE classmate pack fro DD2 on clearance for $10 (also in 2011) and it didn't make it to kindergarten because it was ratty. I think it is in Dd2's closet now.

The only issue I have had with Dd2's LLB pack is that the dog chewed one of the plastic strap holders and I need to call LLB and have them send me a new one.

squimp
07-20-2017, 03:38 PM
We had PBK and it held up well. Fails were Hanna and Garnet Hill, they only lasted 1 year each.

For later in elementary she used North Face, it is still going strong after 4 years. I wash it at least once a year in the washer on gentle.

squimp
07-20-2017, 03:48 PM
What about Under Armour?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DD has an Under Armour backpack for her club team and it's pretty nice. I washed it earlier this summer because volleyball kneepads must be one of the most disgusting sports items. It seems to have held up well, but hasn't seen daily use with heavy books.

legaleagle
07-20-2017, 03:50 PM
We've had good luck with garnet hill, LLB and hanna - no issues with rips/holes with any of them. I prefer packs with chest clips as they get older since they're carrying more, so that eliminates some.

lizzywednesday
07-20-2017, 05:06 PM
DD has had an LLB backpack, with water bottle pockets on the sides, since Kindergarten.

She insisted that she liked the Explorer (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/111998?page=beans-explorer-backpack-colorblock&csp=a&feat=78930-recsright) (larger than the Deluxe Book Pack) so that's what I bought.

I've washed it a couple times, too, though it does say "spot clean," so a little of the water-resistant coating on the inside of the fabric is damaged, but, frankly, I'm not as concerned about that as I am with the way it's held up, which is spectacularly - there are no holes in the actual fabric, the zippers are all securely stitched, and it's still easy to adjust the shoulder straps. (Also? I'm pretty impressed by the LLB "lifetime guarantee" on past items DH and I have used, so I'm willing to spend money there.)

Kindra178
07-20-2017, 05:11 PM
The only issue I have had with Dd2's LLB pack is that the dog chewed one of the plastic strap holders and I need to call LLB and have them send me a new one.

You can get a new one when it was your dog's fault?

AnnieW625
07-20-2017, 06:42 PM
You can get a new one when it was your dog's fault?

Honestly no idea, I just want to have them ship me the part and I would pay for it if course. I guess I could look on Amazon as well for a backpack strap.

jerigirl
07-21-2017, 01:19 PM
I am planning on DS2 using his LLB Explorer backpack for a 3rd year this school year. It still looks great other than the mesh has separated from the elastic on one of the water bottle pockets. I will probably just repair that myself. Should be a quick fix on the sewing machine.

DualvansMommy
07-21-2017, 11:40 PM
I actually got DS1 the LLB midsize backpack, I think. Can't remember if it's large as his preschooler bag, it felt big on him for that first year. But he needed the space to carry in his snowboots and snow pants and lunchbox.

Now he wanted a new one, and I was really impressed with quality of LLB. It was first place we looked at, but he didn't care for any of the patterns or theme. So we ended up getting from LE which is hoping isn't a mistake! As I got him a large and want this bag to last him thru 3rd grade, then I'll get him a new backpack for 4th grade as they move to a different school by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro