PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever referee for AYSO?

bisous
07-24-2017, 11:43 AM
Our team is looking for a ref. I'd like to help out, however both DH and I are terrified that we'd be terrible refs! We have little experience with soccer, though we'd be trained on the rules I'm sure. I'm not sure I want to be in charge of calling what happens as my confidence in my ability to see things and decide fairly is very shaky. Is this a reasonable or are there people that just aren't suited to refereeing games?

bisous
07-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Dang, I meant this for the lounge. Sorry! Mods feel free to move. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
07-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Adults ref for your teams? We only have had teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
07-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Adults ref for your teams? We only have had teens.

Yes, parents do. Teens can as well.

AnnieW625
07-24-2017, 02:16 PM
My uncle was a ref for Pasadena AYSO and then ended up sitting on the SGV region AYSO ref board and conducted trainings for them. He had zero experience with soccer or refereeing until he started when his kids were young. I say go for it.

belovedgandp
07-24-2017, 11:42 PM
I do think it takes a certain personality. We're in the midwest and soccer is huge. There's a certification process run by a state level organization. There were on-line modules and then two days of classes for a total of 10 hours. My son has been certified for two years and loves it. They pay really well. For being 13 he's on track to make $2,500 this year just working about 20 weekends.

baymom
07-25-2017, 12:25 AM
Yes! DH, DS, DD and I are all certified AYSO refs. Do it!! It's a class, followed by a test. My kids don't even play AYSO anymore but it's a really low key (relatively speaking) and fun for all of us to see our friends' kids on the field playing, and to be ref-ing their games. It's a fun way for us to volunteer as a family in an area we all love. My kids both play club soccer now, but there's something special about our town's AYSO.

If you find it intimidating to ref the older kid games, stick to U8 for a while to build up your confidence. Parents don't typically get irritated at refs at U8. �� DS also just got certified to ref another, more serious league, where he'll be paid $40 per game. That's BIG bucks for a 12 year old and he can't wait for the fall season! But, AYSO is mostly a really easy going, 'safe' place to start off and they are usually desperate for volunteers. It's also really fun--you guys should totally do it!!

ETA-There is no 'off side' in AYSO at U8, which is often a call new refs are nervous about calling correctly. That's a main reason to start off at U8. Or, you could be a line ref (assistant) at a U10 and above game. That's a lot less pressure than being a center ref.

AustenFan
07-25-2017, 12:34 AM
DH has reffed for our kids' teams, though he mainly ended up coaching, and I do think it's easier in the U8 levels because they play with really simplified rules. I could do U8 and below, and I never played soccer. U10 and up play with more of the "real" soccer rules, and it gets more complex. When DS was in his first year of U10, we had an inexperienced parent go all through the training, and at the end, she refused to ref, even though she was certified. Our team was penalized for not providing a ref, but no one else was willing to do it, and DH and I were already volunteering in other capacities. We were in Region 9 in Thousand Oaks, which I think is just next to you, bisous, and it was intense. Like, all-day training, extra meetings, crazy. Actually, it was a pain in the neck to do any volunteer position in that region, and between the two of us, DH and I were coach, assistant coach, ref, and team parent over the course of our three years in that system. It was miserable. When we moved to Malibu, our AYSO experience was night and day different. I don't even know if there was a ref training, we just hired professional refs for the main on-field ref, and parents took turns raising a flag on the sidelines when the ball went out of bounds (at least in U10). It was no big deal to ref or really do any volunteer job. I would totally ref for U12 out here because it's so low-key.

bisous
07-25-2017, 01:58 AM
Thanks for all your replies! They definitely don't pay the refs. It is ALL volunteer! We're in U12 this year but I think we could ref at any level. Truth is, I'm just not sure I have my stuff together enough to make the right call. You are correct, AustenFan about our location. It seems like it might be similar to what you experienced. Hmm. I'd love to help out (and since I'm not doing Lego coaching this year I have the time) but the reffing thing freaks me out!