PDA

View Full Version : Bug repellent help please!

Maxlee
07-26-2017, 08:37 AM
DD is going to sleepaway camp (NY) and I need to send her with a non-aerosol bug repellent. Any suggestions on what to buy appreciated (what chemicals, strength, brand, etc.). I don't like to use the stuff unless really necessary but am totally afraid of ticks!! Thanks.

mmsmom
07-26-2017, 08:56 AM
This is the top rated in consumer reports and we have used it successfully for a couple years. I am sending it to camp with DS. Make sure you choose the pump spray version.
https://smile.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP544-Repellent-Picaridin/dp/B0015KG5NK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501072926&sr=8-3&keywords=sawyer+insect+repellent

I have this to spray his socks and shoes before packing to hopefully help with ticks:
https://smile.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP649-Permethrin-Repellent/dp/B001ANQVZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501072926&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=sawyer+insect+repellent&psc=1

twowhat?
07-26-2017, 11:44 AM
[/url]

I have this to spray his socks and shoes before packing to hopefully help with ticks:
https://smile.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP649-Permethrin-Repellent/dp/B001ANQVZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501072926&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=sawyer+insect+repellent&psc=1

I bought this too, to treat all of my girls' clothing, socks, shoes, and hats before they go to camp. And then on top of that, I'm sending them with OFF Deep Woods for bare skin. The permethrin should NOT go on bare skin - you spray it (liberally) on clothing/gear and let it dry thoroughly, then it's safe to wear. I tested it on a couple of shirts to make sure it didn't irritate anyone's skin, and all good. The smell is barely noticeable once dry and only if you mash your nose right into the treated clothing.

mom_hanna
07-26-2017, 05:37 PM
I would only use product with DEET. That's by far the most effective that I've found. I've used it in the boundary waters with black flies, ticks and chiggers. If you want other products, here is consumer reports recommendations:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/insect-repellent/buying-guide

If short sleeves and shorts are going to be worn, spray it on skin. You can wash it off at the end of the day. Just on clothing will not work.

ahisma
07-26-2017, 05:47 PM
We use these in Michigan (including the UP), Montana, and the Smokies with great success: https://www.amazon.com/Natrapel-Mosquito-Insect-Repellent-Individually-Wrapped/dp/B001ARBSTO/ref=pd_sim_86_22?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6GZP18B2DZ7EHZ7A7DDQ

I like sending them to camp because the kids seem to do a good job applying it. I send the Repel DEET ones as a backup, but they've never needed them and arrive home bite free.

mackmama
07-26-2017, 06:03 PM
I believe that Off Deep Woods with Deet is the best.

For a natural route, I also like Badger in the stick but it's not as effective as items containing deet.

Maxlee
07-27-2017, 08:37 AM
I bought this too, to treat all of my girls' clothing, socks, shoes, and hats before they go to camp. And then on top of that, I'm sending them with OFF Deep Woods for bare skin. The permethrin should NOT go on bare skin - you spray it (liberally) on clothing/gear and let it dry thoroughly, then it's safe to wear. I tested it on a couple of shirts to make sure it didn't irritate anyone's skin, and all good. The smell is barely noticeable once dry and only if you mash your nose right into the treated clothing.

the link Simone posted above is a spray that contains permethrin but says to apply to bear skin - is that one not recommended? I am nervous about putting on her clothes - and I think the kids shower every other day - will it be useful if I at least put on her sneakers?

o_mom
07-27-2017, 09:13 AM
the link Simone posted above is a spray that contains permethrin but says to apply to bear skin - is that one not recommended? I am nervous about putting on her clothes - and I think the kids shower every other day - will it be useful if I at least put on her sneakers?

The ones linked for skin are either DEET or Picaridin. Permetherin is for clothing only.

Maxlee
07-27-2017, 10:13 AM
Oops - sorry didn't read carefully!

so possibly Peretherin for shoes and do I want DEET or Picardin for skin (or is there a combo)? Is it harmful if she showers every other day ��

i also need to purchase locally since need for thisnwekend - suggestions appreciated

twowhat?
07-27-2017, 04:00 PM

The Sawyer permethrin spray is to treat clothing and gear ONLY - NOT to apply to bare skin. And yes, this is more for protection against ticks since they will die on contact. Once permethrin is dry, it's bonded to the fabric and safe to wear. Keep away from cats until it's dry though - it's toxic to cats but fine once dry. For sprays, DEET has more safety data than the newer picardin. If it were me, I'd go with DEET and get something with a higher DEET percentage like OFF deep woods which is easily available most everywhere. For camp, it's worth it to be well-protected from bugs!!!

hillview
07-27-2017, 04:27 PM
This is deet. Spray. Deet is what works is my understanding.
https://smile.amazon.com/Repel-94101-Sportsmen-Repellent-40-Percent/dp/B0054NFYDG/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1501186594&sr=1-3&keywords=insect+repellent

Maxlee
07-27-2017, 09:31 PM
Is there a recommended %of DEET? According to camp there are not many ticks because the camp is at a high elevation and they don't like it up there - I was told only found one on one kid so far this summer do seems like mosquitos bigger concern?
si seems like mosquitos. Thanks everyone! I am not a camper at all LoL

ray7694
07-28-2017, 11:55 AM
My son gets eaten alive at camp if he doesn't apply deer repellent regularly.

citymama
07-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Herbal Armor (available at REI) is amazing.