PDA

View Full Version : Dress Like the 80s? Ideas, Please!

sariana
07-26-2017, 08:41 PM
DD (9) needs to dress like the 80s on Friday. I can think of big hair (not really possible) and leg warmers (too hot).

The only other idea I've come up with is to write "ESPRIT" in multi-colored letters across a shirt.

Does anyone have any brilliant (and easy!) suggestions?

ETA: Maybe a tutu?

RiverRat
07-26-2017, 08:46 PM
Side ponytail and hoop earrings would be easy to do. Jean skirt and white socks with white running shoes and neon shirt (or is that 90's? And would that matter lol) oh and blue eyeshadow

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

sariana
07-26-2017, 08:55 PM
Some restrictions:

She has to wear a ball cap (camp rules), so the side ponytail doesn't work. Great idea, though!

She doesn't have pierced ears.

I did see some denim skirts at Target on clearance, and she has some white Keds-type shoes. That might work. She even has some pink neon shoelaces. And knee-length leggings seemed to be a thing based on the Google images I'm getting. (Aren't those still a thing?)

They're all supposed to wear the same T-shirts, so I'm not sure if they're allowed to wear something else on top. Maybe tie up the the corner of the shirt?

The decade actually does matter because each group is doing a different one. I actually wondered about the 90s. What was distinctive about it? Grunge?

Thanks for the ideas!

Aishe
07-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Some restrictions:

She has to wear a ball cap (camp rules), so the side ponytail doesn't work. Great idea, though!

She doesn't have pierced ears.

I did see some denim skirts at Target on clearance, and she has some white Keds-type shoes. That might work. She even has some pink neon shoelaces. And knee-length leggings seemed to be a thing based on the Google images I'm getting. (Aren't those still a thing?)

They're all supposed to wear the same T-shirts, so I'm not sure if they're allowed to wear something else on top. Maybe tie up the the corner of the shirt?

The decade actually does matter because each group is doing a different one. I actually wondered about the 90s. What was distinctive about it? Grunge?

Thanks for the ideas!

I think you're on the right track. Denim skirt with capri leggings, tie the corner of the t-shirt, and white keds with the neon shoelaces. If you could find white socks with lace ruffles that would be a nice touch. Or wear them without socks. Lace gloves would be fun, although I don't know where you would get them.

The 90s were plaid flannel, mom jeans, slip dresses, and chunky heels. At least that's what I remember about them:)

lalasmama
07-26-2017, 10:06 PM
I think you're on the right track. Denim skirt with capri leggings, tie the corner of the t-shirt, and white keds with the neon shoelaces. If you could find white socks with lace ruffles that would be a nice touch. Or wear them without socks. Lace gloves would be fun, although I don't know where you would get them.

The 90s were plaid flannel, mom jeans, slip dresses, and chunky heels. At least that's what I remember about them:)

You forgot Doc Martens and the 3 layers of scrunchy socks! :)

candaceb
07-26-2017, 10:19 PM
Add tight-rolled jeans to the '90s...

For the 80's, you could also go the preppy route - pleated khakis, double polo shirts with the collar up, etc. Neon and acid wash scream 80's to me.

Tenasparkl
07-27-2017, 02:40 AM
Lots of bracelets! Jelly shoes maybe?

My daughter just dressed in 80s clothes for camp and wore uneven side ponytails, a tied shirt with cassette tapes on it, a denim vest wth the collar up, bright shorts, knee high striped socks and lots of bracelets.

TwinFoxes
07-27-2017, 08:07 AM
That's a lot of restrictions! Is her t-shirt oversized? She could wear it bloused over a wide belt, knee length leggings and frosted eye shadow. Lace gloves for the Madonna look.

90s was grunge. Denim shorts over tights, bodysuits (they're baaaack!), plaid, clunky heels.