PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys do the 30k miles service on your Honda Odyssey?

diamond
07-26-2017, 10:04 PM
We got a newer honda odyssey, usually buy used cars. The van is reaching 30k miles soon and the maintenance service fur the 30k is about 800$ or so. Is it worth it? Do you guys do it? Or don't? And why?

KrisM
07-26-2017, 10:43 PM
No. I always do oil changes. I rotate tires. But, I do air filters myself. And when I am in for the oil change, they do the inspection for brakes. I did spark plugs and timing belt at 90,000 miles. I do a drain/fill on the trans fluid every 30-40k miles.

What is the 30k schedule that they want to do?

SnuggleBuggles
07-26-2017, 10:58 PM
I don't have an Odyssey but I've never done any of those costly maintenance deals. Only exception is timing belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elbenn
07-27-2017, 11:02 AM
No. I always do oil changes. I rotate tires. But, I do air filters myself. And when I am in for the oil change, they do the inspection for brakes. I did spark plugs and timing belt at 90,000 miles. I do a drain/fill on the trans fluid every 30-40k miles.

Is the timing belt based on miles or age of vehicle?

AnnieW625
07-27-2017, 12:43 PM
The only dealer maintenance we've ever done on our 06 Pilot was at about 100k miles and I didn't even get the full service, but had the fluids changed and air filter plus the oil change and tire rotation and we paid about $185 iirc (probably $50 more than an independent shop, but this was more convenient at the time); the full 30k mile service was $350 or so and the independent place I took it for an oil change said it didn't need to be done.

Our Pilot is now pushing 185k and we have never had to replace the timing chain (I believe most Hondas now use a stronger timing chain). I had a timing belt go on my 88 Subaru at about 75k miles (and 7 yrs. old) so I was always told to have it checked at about that time. My 96 Accord had one replaced before I bought it at 57k miles (bought in 2001), but I drove the car for another 90k miles (until 2006) and never had to replace it again.

DH's 01 Corolla didn't have to have it replaced and we had that car until it had 143k miles and was 12 yrs. old; my brother owns it now and it has maybe 165k on it and I don't think he has replaced it.

My '13 Passat TDI went 60k and when I turned in the car I hadn't needed to replace it yet.

I would just be cognizant of the issue between 65k-75k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrisM
07-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Is the timing belt based on miles or age of vehicle?

Miles and condition, usually. And mine was closer to 100,000 miles, not 90k. I remembered wrong. The water pump gets done then too on the Ody.

If the timing belt breaks, it's a catastrophic failure and will damage the engine. You'll be stranded. So, I did follow that one :)

KrisM
07-27-2017, 01:26 PM
Also, tire rotation is free at a lot of the tire places. I usually don't get mine done because putting winter tires on and off makes it work out. But with a 5000 mile vacation this summer, I'm going to Discount Tire for a free rotation this weekend.

I do oil at the Honda dealer. It's the cheapest price, but takes about 30 minutes. But, they wash the van too. My van is always dirty, so it's a bonus to me, and I just stop in when I am in that area for errands or something. $21 or so for oil/filter.