PDA

View Full Version : organization question - what do you do with clothes that are lightly worn?

basil
07-27-2017, 09:24 AM
I feel like this is a ridiculous question I should have figured out the answer to by now.

Dirty clothes I put in the laundry hamper. Non-dirty things that I wear a bunch of times I hang up back in my closet (i.e. dress trousers, blazers, etc.). Pajamas that I'm going to wear again I hang on a hook in the bathroom.

What do you do with things that you've worn, but plan to wear again before washing? Example: came home from work yesterday and changed into shorts and tshirt to take DS to violin lessons. Only worn for a few hours, so will wear again before I wash. But don't want to put those back in the drawer because I want to remember that they are somewhat worn, so if I wear them for another half a day I would want to wash them. I have always piled them on a chair but that looks messy and our cleaning lady tends to stuff them into random laundry baskets and it gets super confusing.

Is there a good solution that I'm totally missing here? Am I the only one with this problem?

BDKmom
07-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Not that this is a good solution, but I have a relatively low shelf in my closet that I pile them on. Drives my DH crazy, but, I'm like you, what else am I going to do with them. I will admit that it often gets out of control and I lose items of clothing to the pile for weeks on end. But then it's nice when I finally go through it all. It's like I find a whole new wardrobe. [emoji4]

KrisM
07-27-2017, 09:36 AM
We have hooks on the wall behind the bedroom door. DH hangs his work pants and jeans there. We don't use the bathtub in the master bedroom, so I drape my things to re-wear over the edge of the tub.

hillview
07-27-2017, 09:48 AM
I just rehang or fold them. They go back with the not worn items. TBH I only wash MY stuff if it is dirty or smelly (obvs I wash socks, gym clothes and unders every time I wear them).

robinsmommy
07-27-2017, 09:59 AM
Look up "Clothes Purgatory" or "Wardrobe Purgatory." You may find some good ideas that way, as that is the way I usually see it referred to on Apartment Therapy or Garden Web.

gymnbomb
07-27-2017, 10:59 AM
I hang them in my closet on a different colored hanger. White for "worn but not really dirty" and colored hangers for freshly washed. Or else just hang them on a hook in my closet or in the bathroom if I think I'll wear them again in the next day or two.

nfceagles
07-27-2017, 11:06 AM
I have the same problem and no perfect solution, but there are a couple things I do. I have a shelf in my closet that I use for that kind of stuff, but I also try to wear them on back to back days. For example, I typically wear jeans twice then wash. So after the first wearing I just leave them on foot of my bed or the floor or wherever. Then the next day I think through where I'm going and as long as I'm not expecting to see all the same people and the weather is still appropriate I wear them again the very next day. After that they go in the hamper. Cuts down on how much worn but not ready for laundry stuff is laying around at any given time and saves me from having to remember how worn something is.

I'd use the sniff test as I'm not one to worry about washing everything frequently, but I have a terrible sense of smell and worry I'm stinkier than I realize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
07-27-2017, 11:06 AM
I just rehang or fold them. They go back with the not worn items. TBH I only wash MY stuff if it is dirty or smelly (obvs I wash socks, gym clothes and unders every time I wear them).

This is what I do as well.

elbenn
07-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Not that this is a good solution, but I have a relatively low shelf in my closet that I pile them on. Drives my DH crazy, but, I'm like you, what else am I going to do with them. I will admit that it often gets out of control and I lose items of clothing to the pile for weeks on end. But then it's nice when I finally go through it all. It's like I find a whole new wardrobe. [emoji4]

This is what I do also.

meggie t
07-27-2017, 12:38 PM

Same here.

jgenie
07-27-2017, 12:51 PM
I hang items I've already worn inside out to remind me they should go in the hamper after the next wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinacool
07-27-2017, 01:37 PM
Back of a chair. So messy. lol

specialp
07-27-2017, 01:45 PM
I have an otherwise empty drawer I put them in. DH has a shelf in the closet.

123LuckyMom
07-27-2017, 02:04 PM
I hang everything, so I just rehang and separate a bit from clean clothes. If I'm worried I'll get mixed up, I hang the hanger backwards on the rod so the opening in the hanger hook is facing out. Jeans or shorts I fold and put on a shelf in the closet reserved for that purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

belovedgandp
07-27-2017, 02:34 PM
I have a set of pegs on the inside of my walk in closet. It's above the laundry basket - PJs are usually there along with jeans and shirts only worn a short time.

I also wear bras two days but put a day in between, so those hang there also.

mom2binsd
07-27-2017, 02:40 PM
Hang up, let them air out and then back in the part of the closet they belong.

I heard the other day you aren't supposed to wash jeans more than every 8-10 times unless soiled. Also you're supposed to hang them by the belt loops on a hook to avoid creases, I don't find I get creases in mine by hanging on a hanger.

essnce629
07-27-2017, 02:40 PM
I don't have a perfect solution. I have a row of hooks in my walk in closet that I hang my robes on and sometimes I hang up clothes on there. I also have a small short freestanding cabinet in my master bathroom that I keep extra toilet paper, etc that I usually pile my worn jeans and bras on before getting into the shower and then just leave them there till I rewear them. The day my housekeeper comes I always clear the pile off!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

rlu
07-27-2017, 04:45 PM
We don't use the shower in the master so I laid a shower rod across the shower walls and use that for drip-drying. Smack in the middle of the rod I put one of those sweater sorters and that's where I keep my jeans, pjs, shorts, etc. that I wear multiple times before washing.

Mine's not this fancy, but this is the general idea https://www.amazon.com/HANGING-SWEATER-CLOSET-CLOTHING-ORGANIZER/dp/B000LZ7KRA

DualvansMommy
07-27-2017, 08:01 PM
We have a row of hooks in our walk in closets which is used to hang our few hours old worn clothes. DH uses his for his ties though, so has a low shelf for his purpose. I have another low shelf above my undies drawer to fold my barely used t shirts, pjamies, and shirts. Otherwise it gets hung on our rack of hooks.

If we didn't have those, I would have bought a over the door hook to hang over bedroom door. That'll be used for that exact purpose. Perhaps do that for your room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro