PDA

View Full Version : Swim team expenses?

diamond
07-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Our 8yo just got in a local swim team. The costs including apparel etc..are approximately 1200$ fur 7 months. Meets happen about once a month and those fees are extra. Kids practice 3x/week for 45 min. This looks extensive to me. What are your swim team dues like?

scrooks
07-28-2017, 06:31 PM
Our local USA swim club is very similar in pricing to that. My dd is on our local Y swim team which is just a fraction of that.

diamond
07-28-2017, 06:41 PM
Do you mind sharing the costs of the ymca

scrooks
07-28-2017, 06:54 PM
I just looked and the fees will be $200 for the season (last week of Sept through Feb/March). Plus we have to maintain a membership. Her suit is another $60. They practice 4 nights a week with a min requirement to attend at least 2 practices.

Dd is frankly are no where near ready for the competitiveness and commitment of a USA club.

diamond
07-28-2017, 07:02 PM
Thank you, it's all new for us. What is difference between USA swim club and Y swim team?

scrooks
07-28-2017, 07:11 PM
At least in our area the USA team is pretty hardcore. At the Y, at least on our team, it's much more laid back. You can practice twice a week (like dd does) or 4 times a week (like our neighbor does). It's all up to you.

stinkyfeet
07-28-2017, 07:19 PM
We just signed DS1 (8 yo) for a USA club team. Fees are $1800 for fall through spring (9 months) He's in Jr. Development and will swim 3X week and participate in occasional mini-meets (at an additional expense)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
07-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Some Y's do have USA swimming teams which are very competitive. The local Y in our town is hardcore, once they are on the team, from age 8 and up they are swimming 4x week min, with no absences allowed (no other sports really).

1200 for 7 months seems pretty high! Other than a suit and goggles they don't need much more. Spirit wear for our team is optional but pretty cheap.

My DD's swim club (USA swimming) is more flexible than the other more hardcore teams around, but still produces some great swimmers!

Fees are 60 USA swimming dues yearly. Monthly for your son's age would be 75.00, so for 7 months 525.00 The kids 8-10 swim 2-3 nights a week (there are 4 set options, each week you (the family) pick which one's suit your schedule and you can change week to week, which is wonderful. Meets are optional, most do at least 2 or 3, fees for meets are per event, most meets we spent about 45 on meet fees, travel was usually close by, no hotels. Team suits are about 50.00, no other apparel required.

I am in a small midwest city.

cckwmh
07-28-2017, 08:31 PM
DD1 is 11 and is about to switch from a not- for profit parent run USA swim team to a more competitive coach owned USA swim team. Her previous team was $1300 for short course, plus the cost of meets. Her new team is $2550 plus more meets/required equipment and clothing.

SnuggleBuggles
07-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Well, there are fancy swim teams like that and recreational ones. If you don't want such a big investment, keep looking. I didn't have any desire to get that involved or spend that money at that age on swimming. If this is the level you feel is necessary for your 8yo then those costs and time are pretty typical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o_mom
07-28-2017, 09:01 PM
We are on a rec swim team that is $100-120 for approx 3 mos at a time, 2x/wk practice and 2-3 meets. Summer team is about the same for 5x/wk for 6 weeks, 6 meets.

They are not the competitive leagues, but keeps DS in shape and he is improving. When he gets to middle school I might consider a more competitive team.

jenmcadams
07-28-2017, 10:39 PM
Our local YMCA is about $75/swimmer/month. Meets are extra.

My kids swim on a USA team and fees for my DD (high schooler) are $150/month + meet fees (1-2x per month). My daughter can swim up to 6 workouts per week. My son also swims but less intensely and it's about $100 per month. Meet fees average $25 per kiddo depending on number of events. There are also some annual fees that are about $250 each (include team fees + USA swimming fees). Our kids generally swim Sept-May 15 and then they switch to summer club (more fun and less intense for a few months). The fees for the summer (includes meets) are about $200 each and include weekly meets and 5x per week practice

Gear wise we spend more on my daughter who is more competitive (girl's suits are more expensive), but you should expect a $200-300 per year minimum for suits, sweats, goggles, etc.

abh5e8
07-28-2017, 10:40 PM
Our usa swim team is about $1000/12 months per child. Plus the $60 annual usa membership per child.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
07-28-2017, 10:47 PM
My kids swim USA. For DS1 (8), it's about $95 a month during swim season and practice is offered 4 times a week for 1 hour. For DD (11), her fees are about $125 a month, and practice is offered 6-7 days a week (6 for long course, 7 for short course) for 1.45-2 hours each. (DD "only" goes 4 times a week.). Plus there's USA annual registration ($60ish) plus meets. In our LSC (division of USA swimming) individual events are $6 plus a splash fee of $4 I think). (For the advanced kids, they swim about 10.5 months out of the year. For the year younger kids, it's about 9 months.)

DD swam YMCA for two years before joining a USA team. It was about between $250 and $400 for the regular season depending on which practice group you were in...this was mid October through mid-Feb or mid-March (depending on whether you made it to state.)

Of course there's the team suit, team swim caps (my kids end up ripping a few a year), plus the gear (fins, kickboard, pull buoy, paddles and snorkel for advanced kids) and a backpack and wet bag. The gear lasts a long time. Oh yeah...goggles. DS1 manages to lose a pair every other month, so at $15 a pop, that adds up. And of course DD can only wear speedo fastskins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

teresah00
07-29-2017, 02:15 PM
My kids just finished summer swim team for the first season ($300 for 3 kids, 5 practices a week).
The team they are trying out runs from sept-mid Jan and will cost about $300/kid for the lower levels which practice 2-4 times a week.

essnce629
07-29-2017, 03:29 PM
DS1's year round competitive USA swim team fees were $465 a quarter (so $1860 a year). This didn't include all the equipment (kickboard, fins, snorkel, pull buoy, hand paddles), swimsuits/jammers/swim caps, swim bag, equipment bag, googles, etc that we were also expected to buy.

DS1 started out swimming 3 times a week for an hour and was up to 6 days a week for 1.5 to 2 hours when he quit last year (he was 12 at the time). He attended about 2 meets a month. His club was too hardcore and he got burned out after 3 years. He has friends who are still on the team and they have 2 practices a day now, morning and evening. I think this is too much for 13 year olds!

MSWR0319
07-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Our Y's winter team is $185 for Oct - March. Practice is 3 nights a week for 1.5 hours unless you are an 8 & under, then it's 2x/wk. Fees are included for regular meets, but we have to pay for invitationals and champs. No fees for suits or anything like that. We have meets every 2 weeks or so. The nearest USA swim team is about 30 minutes away, so I don't know what the costs are for that. Our summer swim team, which is not through the Y is $125 and we practice every morning and kids 9 and up practice 4 nights a week as well.

trcy
07-30-2017, 07:37 PM
We just got info from our Y. Cost is between $45 & $95 per month, depending on level, plus the Y's membership fees. You can also be on their swim team without a Y membership, but then the monthly cost is more. Practices for the lowest level is 3 days a week for an hour; the highest level is 6 days a week for 2.5 hours (yikes!). They are part of USA swimming so we would have to pay that membership if we wanted DD to compete; that is optional at the lower levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

frugalmom
07-31-2017, 02:48 PM
Our 8yo just got in a local swim team. The costs including apparel etc..are approximately 1200$ fur 7 months. Meets happen about once a month and those fees are extra. Kids practice 3x/week for 45 min. This looks extensive to me. What are your swim team dues like?

Well you guys are making me feel like our team is a steal.

USA team

8 year olds and under are $35 a month

Practice 10 times a week can come as much or as little as you want

9 year olds and up $45 a month

It goes up higher the higher your swim level this is the lower level. Than there are 2 more I think.

Also a discount for the more kids you have in. First 2 are 100% next kid is 50%

Meets on top of that.