PDA

View Full Version : For fun: How did you come up with your DCs' names?

trcy
07-30-2017, 08:51 AM
We saw DD's name in a magazine.
DS's name was the name of one of DH's coworker's DS when I was pregnant with DD (before we knew she was a girl); DH really liked that name. So when we found out DS was a boy we put that name on our short list.
With both DCs we didn't firmly pick their names until they were born-had to make sure the names fit them.
Both of their middle names are family names.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

hillview
07-30-2017, 08:59 AM
Shakespeare

liz
07-30-2017, 10:22 AM
For DS1 I got his name from reading a Steven King book when I was in college :) I loved the character so much and the name just stuck with me.
Middle names are family names and sentimental.
We waited until the kids were born to officially choose their names though-we had to meet them first! We were literally filling out the social security paperwork before we walked out the hospital door. I still have the original list of potential names and different spellings DH and I were thinking about. The kids got a kick out that!

AnnieW625
07-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Dd1 is named after her maternal great grandmas. Her first name is DH's maternal grandma's and her middle name is my maternal grandmas. DH had said if we have a girl he wanted to name her after his grandma as she never had any granddaughters. We also had an alternative name, but I am pretty sure DH was stuck on his grandma's name the entire time.

With Dd2 we had a really hard time with names, but the name we chose is the same as one of DH's favorite movie stars from the 1940s/1950s. Dd2 has my middle name and it okay, but honestly I wish I would've gone with Elizabeth or Nichole. Elizabeth is a family name and Nichole is not, but I have always liked the name when it is spelled that way. I also kind of regret not using DH's paternal grandma's first name as the middle name, but I didn't want a middle name that could be combined with the first initial to make a nickname as we had been having that issue with my in laws doing that with Dd1 at the time and she didn't like it. We couldn't use may maternal grandma's first name as a first or middle name because it didn't flow with our last name because it has the same first three letters. Before we decided on Dd2's name I really liked a name Madison as I had loved that name since it was the main character in Splash and I was 7 or 8 when I saw the movie. At the time DH said he didn't like it, but now says he would've been okay with. It was a top 5 name from around 2001 to 2009, but I know no one with the name and if anyone has the nickname of Maddie it is short for Madeline/Madalyn, etc. . Audrey and Abigail were two other favorites, but at the time we knew two girls each who were named those names.

We had a pretty easy time with the boy names we didn't use. The boy name we had for Dd1 was #1 in 2005 iirc, but we have only met two other boys with that name the same age as Dd1 and that was in a community class years ago. There are more boys with that name who are Dd2's age. The boy name for Baby 2 and Dd2 would have been the same first name, but I had switched out the middle names because my grandpa had died when I was pregnant the third time so I wanted to use his name as the middle name.

Baby 2's name had it been born and been a girl would've been a name both DH and I liked, and also happened to be a character on a kids tv dance show DD1 liked at the time (but honestly most people probably didn't know that character's name because it wasn't said on a regular basis....but somehow DH knew it). It was not a family name, but could've almost been considered an old lady name. The middle name would've been my mom's middle name.

123LuckyMom
07-30-2017, 10:57 AM
The meaning of the name is most important to us, and we wanted to honor relatives that have passed, which we intended to do by using the first letter of their first names as the first letter of the name we would choose.

With DS, we just adored the name we decided on for him. It didn't use any of the letters we wanted, but my name means warrior, and my husband's name means warrior with a spear (which we think is hilarious), and DS's name means peace, so we thought the warriors giving birth to peace was wonderful. Then we used my Dad's last name as his middle name, so both the families were represented, but his first name wasn't after anyone.

With DD, my Dad's last name means eagle in another language. We chose a name for her that means from the valley of the eagles (and also Eden) and began with the same first letter as my great-grandmother's name. DD's middle name has the same first letter as the first letter from my mother and both my maternal grandmothers and means wisdom.

The method we used to find names was to go through baby name books and choose names we liked, then we both had to agree, which eliminated a lot of names. Then the names had to have a great meaning. That also eliminated a bunch of names Then we tried out combinations with our last name and decided. We had a bunch of options for girls' names, but there were very few for boys. There were lots of names we liked, but the meanings weren't good. In the end, though, we had only one boy, and we LOVE his name, so it worked out.

JBaxter
07-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Logan... Umm wolverine :D which is actually his middle name his first name is his dads
Connor ... I had insomnia during most of my pregnancy and my favorite VHS (lol) was The Highlander. Connor ... Connor MacLeod his middle name is my dads
Nathan ... was the only one on both lists that neither of us hated. his middle name is DH's
Jackson was my grandfathers name and his middle name was DHs grandfather & uncle and he was born on his uncles birthday.

flashy09
07-30-2017, 11:51 AM
I was really stuck with my first. For some reason all the "normal" names just were not doing anything for me. I was drawn to the nature names and liked Wren, Daisy, Poppy (very popular in England where my husband is from), Violet, etc. Then about a week before I was due I was looking though a baby names book and saw Maple listed as an alternative to Mabel and I immediately loved it. I grew up on Mapleton Hill in Boulder, went to Mapleton Elementary and love the tree. Then I read a Robert Frost poem about a girl named Maple and I liked the idea of how the Maple tree goes out so beautifully in the fall (my grandfather had just died ) and is "reborn' in the spring....never really dies. I was super nervous about it and waited until she was 3 days old to actually put it down as her name, but it was the name I really loved. Of course then Jason Bateman named his daughter the same thing a month later and it seemed like I picked the latest Hollywood name, lol.

My second daughter was my husband's favorite name the whole time and happened to be a huge family name on my side. So the obvious choice and it finally grew on me enough to use it.

lalasmama
07-30-2017, 11:53 AM
DD was adopted as at elementary school aged child. We didn't want to 100% change her name, but her given name was a typical nickname, so we had a handful of "full name" choices. We went through acceptable choices (Alexandra, Allison, Allisondra, Allisa, etc) and let her decide.

Her middle name was spelled phonetically, so DH and I looked at the 3 most common spellings, and chose what we liked the look of the most. Humorously, it wasn't my preference for spelling, so I still often ask DH how we decided to spell it, lol.

trcy
07-30-2017, 12:00 PM
I was really stuck with my first. For some reason all the "normal" names just were not doing anything for me. I was drawn to the nature names and liked Wren, Daisy, Poppy (very popular in England where my husband is from), Violet, etc. Then about a week before I was due I was looking though a baby names book and saw Maple listed as an alternative to Mabel and I immediately loved it. I grew up on Mapleton Hill in Boulder, went to Mapleton Elementary and love the tree. Then I read a Robert Frost poem about a girl named Maple and I liked the idea of how the Maple tree goes out so beautifully in the fall (my grandfather had just died ) and is "reborn' in the spring....never really dies. I was super nervous about it and waited until she was 3 days old to actually put it down as her name, but it was the name I really loved. Of course then Jason Bateman named his daughter the same thing a month later and it seemed like I picked the latest Hollywood name, lol.

My second daughter was my husband's favorite name the whole time and happened to be a huge family name on my side. So the obvious choice and it finally grew on me enough to use it.

I remember you posted about the name Maple. I later met a mom at a playground whose DD was named Maple, I wondered if was you, but then realized her DD was not the same as yours (either slightly younger or older-I can't remember).

anonomom
07-30-2017, 12:13 PM
For their first names, we wanted both girls to have formal names that passed the "Supreme Court Justice" test and that offered lots of choice of nicknames. For middle names, both have celtic names beginning with the same letter as my middle name; a compromise for allowing them to have DH's last name. To pick, DH and I each went through the Baby Name Wizard book and made lists of names we liked. For DD1, there were two names that overlapped, and we ultimately went with the one DH had suggested. For DD2, we ended up with a totally different list, and ended up going with a name I loved.

We knew from the start with DS that (a) he would share DH's first name, and (b) that we hated all of the nicknames for it except the one DH already uses. So he goes by his middle name, a somewhat trendy name that we also found in the Baby Name Wizard book. It was a long shot -- we never even made lists, I was just flipping through the book, suggested it, and DH immediately agreed. What's funny is that, two months later, we were watching a movie with the girls and one of the characters had the name we'd picked for DS. DD1 suggested that we use that name, and of course we "agreed." To this day, she thinks she named her brother. :-)

niccig
07-30-2017, 02:48 PM
We chose names before we knew if having a boy or a girl. We knew a boy would have same middle name as DH, as FIL has same middle name, and it's the maiden name of FIL's mother, who died when he was 2 years old. The boy's first name was MIL's maiden name, but we didn't pick it for that reason. I saw it in a baby name book, and we liked that it was not a common name, but not too different. The girl's first and middle names were going to be related to my family. First name was Welsh name (my dad's family is Welsh) and the middle name would be my maiden name, which can be a girl's name with different spelling.

We had a boy, so DS has names from DH's family. We scored major bonus points from MIL and grandmother as DS has the maiden name. I really like the name, so ok they think we were honoring them, we weren't doing that!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

cckwmh
07-30-2017, 03:41 PM
DD1 was easy. When discussing names, I said how about....and my husband said he loved it. end of Discussion. Her middle name is a family name. We never agreed on a boys name so luckily she was a she.

DD1 was 7 when I was pregnant with DD2. We were visiting the grave of DH's mother, and DD1 always (still) talks to her out loud and tells her whatever is going on in our lives. She was talking about how she is going to have a little sister and said "Her name is going to be....." I turned to my husbamd with tears in my eyes and said she just named our daughter. My grandmother had recently passed and I wanted to honor her some how in the name and DD1 said the most perfect name. Wasn't on either of our lists, but honors both my Grandmother and my husbands mother.

bisous
07-30-2017, 06:04 PM
All my kids' first names have significance in our religion, either the bible or a later church member. We are lucky that we like biblical names so it wasn't too difficult. I wanted them to be serious names but also be attractive sounding, lol. I didn't care too much if they were too popular. It hasn't been a huge issue. In every case we'd go into the hospital with a short list and we'd decide on the baby's name when he/she was born.

For middle names we used family names. Each kid is specifically named after a relative that we wanted to honor.

Periodically we have a family meeting about each of our names and where they come from in our heritage. It is fun. :)

Corie
07-30-2017, 07:33 PM
My daughter's name is typically a boy's name. I love boy names for girls. (Not a unisex name that people say can be given to both boys & girls but honestly
is mostly given to girls.) In 15 years, my daughter has only come across one other girl with her name. The rest are boys.

I love that my daughter will totally confuse all her potential employers when they see her name on her resume. They'll all assume she is male. LOL! And then
she'll walk in the room in her sassy outfit and heels. She does have my mom's first name as her middle name which is feminine.

My son's name is one of the main character's name in my husband's favorite movie. His middle name is my mom's maiden name.

On a side note, my first name is from the movie, Barefoot in the Park. Jane Fonda was named Corie in the movie. My mom must have even watched
the movie credits to see how they spelled it. :)

gymnbomb
07-30-2017, 07:49 PM
For DS we took a big list of names, crossed off the ones we didn't like, and ended up with a short list. DH and I had different first choices that the other didn't love, but agreed on our second choices, so that became his name. I love it now and can't imagine him being called anything else! I use and prefer the full version, but don't dislike the only common nickname for it.

We haven't decided yet for DD. We are down to a short list of about 4 options.

Both have/will have my last name, which I did not change when I got married, as their middle name and DH's as their last name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flashy09
07-30-2017, 09:23 PM
My daughter's name is typically a boy's name. I love boy names for girls. (Not a unisex name that people say can be given to both boys & girls but honestly
is mostly given to girls.) In 15 years, my daughter has only come across one other girl with her name. The rest are boys.

While in college, I was watching an episode of Martha Stewart Living. There was an adorable little girl on her show that day. This little girl was helping Martha
make a Barbie doll cake. As soon as I heard her name, I instantly wrote it down to save for the future. :) I didn't have my daughter until I was 30 so I saved
that name for quite awhile.

I love that my daughter will totally confuse all her potential employers when they see her name on her resume. They'll all assume she is male. LOL! And then
she'll walk in the room in her sassy outfit and heels. She does have my mom's first name as her middle name which is feminine.

My son's name is one of the main character's name in my husband's favorite movie. His middle name is my mom's maiden name.

On a side note, my first name is from the movie, Barefoot in the Park. Jane Fonda was named Corie in the movie. My mom must have even watched
the movie credits to see how they spelled it. :)

Ok, this is a "small world" thing!! My 5 yr old and I just watched that video the other day - which I know is so random because it was hard to find, but that is exactly what she into, making cakes and Barbies/princesses and all things beautiful and fancy. We are in the horse business and when I try to rev her up for riding she tells me "I just want to wear fancy dresses and make cupcakes " - so that is why I am google things like barbie cake as I am totally undomestic. Anyway I heard the name - which was in my top 3 boy name list - (my grandfather had two top level racehorses by a sire that incorporated that name and one of the horse's actually used it as well) - and I thought if I have another kid, boy or girl, I am going with it. Love it! Good for you using it!

DualvansMommy
07-30-2017, 10:08 PM
We wanted to use names that honored each side of the family heritage; Irish and Italian, however we really struggled with a lot of traditional Italian names. DS1's first name isn't even either Irish or Italian , but Greek instead. We just love his name as it's very traditional for a male as a full name but also great in the shortened nickname version too. His middle name is a traditional Irish names after DH's father.

Ds2 is of Irish origin, as we were determined to use either Irish or Italian this time round. Each pregnancy we didn't know the gender till birth, so had short list of three names each for either girl or boy. Their names wasn't decided till we met them.

Now few years later, we love their names. DS2s middle name is after my father, and luckily their middle names flow really well combined first and last names.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jerseygirl07067
07-31-2017, 12:07 AM
Since DH and I have uncommon names, and I always hated going on vacation and never finding anything personalized with my name on it, we both wanted our kids to have common names. And since we both play sports, we wanted names that could be easily shortened should they go that route. So we pretty much chose the most common names narrowing it down to the ones that could be shortened the easiest.

SASM
07-31-2017, 01:09 AM
DS...FIRST - It's a version of my FIL's, DH's middle, my grandfather's, and my cousin's name...we liked having a family name with a twist.
MIDDLE - We came across it on a Gap Casting Call poster while mall walking around Week 40 to get him OUT. After he arrived, we chose the middle name that we had originally planned, DH announced it, and then the next day we were walking laps around the floor with him and he just looked like that last-moment Gap Casting Call name...so we changed our mind. 1/2 of his congrats cards have the first middle name whereas the other half have the changed one.

DD1...FIRST - I stumbled upon the name while researching a type of cancer that I hadn't heard of...a patient's daughter's name. MIDDLE - My grandmother's name. Together the two names sound like my MIL's friend's name that I always loved...it just flowed.

DD2 - we had a REALLY difficult time with this one. DH had 2 faves and I had a fave. DS & DD ultimately chose DD2's name because we couldn't decide. We asked several times while we were in the hospital, right up to discharge, and they kept saying the same name so they chose it. MIDDLE - Another tough one because we had unknowingly started a pattern with the other middle names...needed to continue on...so DH just found it and it flowed with the name the kids chose. ;) We named DD2 5 minutes before our afternoon discharge. I am just happy they took it seriously because for MONTHS they were calling her "Baby Sunshine" ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IansMom
07-31-2017, 10:33 AM
DH and I had decided that if we were going to have a girl, she would be named "Alice Elaine" after his grandmother (Alice) and my mother (Eileen). Well, we have two boys.

DH's name is Christopher and I didn't want DS1 to be a traditional Christopher or Christian, because I have at least four men or boys named Christopher/Christian and at family reunions, you become "Ohio Chris" or for DH--"MyName's Chris." So we went to B&N and looked through the baby name's around the world to find a "Chris" name we could both agree on. We call DS1 by his nickname which is the last three letters of his name. DS1's middle name comes from my love of all versions of the name Alexander and the fact that DH's middle name also begins with "AL". My favorite country that I have visited is Italy, so we picked "Alessandro."

Since DS1 is named after DH, I wanted to incorporate my name into DS2's name. I'm named after my father, James. Well, we already have at least three James in the family, and I have loved the name Jamison/Jameson since I first heard it when I was about 7 and a little boy named Jameson moved in my neighborhood. So we used the spelling with the "I" becaise my name has an "I" in it. DS2 didn't have a middle name until just before we left the hospital. I liked "Alistair" (to keep the "Al" going, Frederick (to honor my deceased FIL) and Etienne (my favorite French name). DH decided Etienne to pay tribute to his Louisiana/French roots.

MommyAllison
07-31-2017, 08:34 PM
We picked our short list of names based on meaning and decided after the kids were born. DDs names were both names we were very familiar with but picked when paging through the baby name books. DS' name I actually first heard of on the BBB! There was another poster with the same first name as me and her siggy included her kids names, and I loved her DS' name. She hasn't been active on the boards in almost 10 years now but I'm so glad she was then, as we still adore DS' name!

SnuggleBuggles
07-31-2017, 09:00 PM
Ds1- I just always loved the name. Never wavered in my love of it. :)
Ds2- we had no strong feelings. He wasn't named until he was 8 hours old. We actually named him my least favorite from our list of 5 names we'd narrowed it down to. None of the other names fit. His name is perfect for him, especially after I found out what the meaning of his name was.
To get some of the names on our list for ds2, we actually randomly chose numbers and looked at the SSN most popular name list to see what those numbers were. From there, we poked around nearby results too. Found some good ones (and some very interesting ones in the high 400s!). The name we ultimately chose was just one dh had added to the list and I didn't veto.
Still miffed that one of my favorites got vetoed with no explanation by dh. In the end it was ok because my SIL's husband has that name (met him after ds2 was born).
Ds2's middle name is the name I would have had if I were a boy. AND MIL had planned to use the name too on her last born but she was a girl. So I was able to use a well loved, popular name for both sides of the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenasparkl
07-31-2017, 09:08 PM
Of course then Jason Bateman named his daughter the same thing a month later and it seemed like I picked the latest Hollywood name, lol.

A few weeks ago my daughter came home from camp talking about a girl that she made friends with who had the cutest little sister named Maple. I was like "you met Jason Bateman's daughters at camp?!" Yup.

It's such a cute name!

smilequeen
08-01-2017, 04:42 AM
DS1, the name was certainly familiar as it's classic, biblical, but it's not that common. It was the name of a character in a movie and I just fell in love with it in my early 20s. Luckily DH loved it and he was named before I was even pregnant.

DS2, I loved his name as a kid, but back then it was still kind of old fashioned and odd. It gained some momentum and I convinced DH to use it. Then it kind of skyrocketed in popularity but I love it still.

DS3 was hard. I loved a different name but it would have sounded really silly with the other 2 boys names. Everything I liked DH hated and he had no ideas. I loved his name but thought it was too common. He was named late in pregnancy. We just decided it worked, despite its current popularity.

hellokitty
08-01-2017, 06:07 AM
DS1- DH's idea, he would not budge. Name is ok, but not my favorite.
DS2- Name from one of our favorite movies.
DS3- Due to DH's decision on DS1's name, I told him that I got to pick DS3's name and I didn't care what his opinion was (and I was also pissed I wasn't getting a girl, EVER, so this is kind of what I needed to get through it). His name is different, but not weird and everyone likes it. Unfortunately, it has gained a lot of popularity... now we know two more little boys with the same name that are a couple years younger than him. I'm not a fan of trendy names, so I hope that this is as popular as it gets.

lizzywednesday
08-01-2017, 10:52 AM
DD's first name was in the 500s on the SSN list. DH didn't want a common name because he and his brother both have very common names. We learned very quickly that we have very different naming styles for girls' names when discussing it - he likes names I think are "trendy" while I prefer old-fashioned, more traditional names. DD's name is a good blend of the two styles - old-fashioned without being stuffy.

Her middle name is for my MIL and her mother (it's basically MIL's middle name with a changed final letter to honor DH's late maternal grandmother.) I think it meant a lot to MIL to have part of DD's name being in her honor, as her other two granddaughters do not have that.

It took us many, many, MANY go-rounds of names (which DH would email to me, at my work email account, during business hours, until I finally banned him from using work email to reach me during the day) to agree on DD's first name, but DH liked my idea of honoring MIL with a daughter's middle name.

We didn't learn what DD was until she was born (well, mostly, and this was an accomplishment considering how many ultrasounds we had while the docs monitored her heart) and DH wasn't entirely sold on her first name, but I insisted. It suits.

Had she been a boy, she'd have been named for our dads (first name for FIL, middle name for my dad.)

specialp
08-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Each has a name that honors heritage and one that is after a family member.

citymama
08-01-2017, 02:15 PM
I have loved DD1's name since I was maybe 10, when I decided I would name my child that name if I ever had a daughter. And then DH suggested the name unprompted - boom, it was meant to be.

DD2's name choice was more complicated. We had a shortlist, and her name was DH's top pick but I wasn't completely sold. It finally clicked when DD2 was in my arms one day old - it somehow became clear that this was her name. I've never understood when people say that they picked a name after seeing the baby, but this was the case for us.

Both their names are old names that have a meaning/origin in both our ancestral languages/cultures.

azzeps
08-01-2017, 10:17 PM
I named my daughter after the very famous Disney ice queen. JK. We had it first.

California
08-01-2017, 10:35 PM
DH and I had such a hard time agreeing on a boy's name that before we TTC for our third kid he insisted we figure out a boy's name. Then we had a girl 😀.

DS is a name DH picked. Have to be honest- it's not a top pick for me. DH thought it was our top pick. There were complications with DS's birth and I was really out of it. DH was stressed, exhausted but happy and announced DS's name to all our relatives and friends without consulting me. (He was very sorry about this- it was innocently done.) We went with it but there have still been times I wish we'd waited... But it worked out because...

After that, I got major say on our DD's names. They are both absolute favorites. DD1 is a tribute to my mom (who is alive) and favorite childhood book character. I had a very vivid dream as a teen that I was driving a car and looked back to see a daughter with this name, with two long brown braids. DD was born with a head full of brown hair- it felt like I'd gotten the girl from my dream! DD2 has a nickname and middle name that roll together like music off my tongue. We always call her by her nickname, but expanded it to a family name on her birth certificate.

Fun question!

carolinacool
08-01-2017, 10:38 PM
DS has a super common name. But I've like it going back to "16 Candles" as it was the name of Molly Ringwald's love interest. :) Even though it's all of the place now, I don't think it was as common back then. I liked it because it sounded like it fit a cool, popular, athletic guy. I reluctantly went with the full name so I wasn't naming DS a nickname. But strangely enough, even though he's almost 8, I still call him the full name to his face. But I say the nickname when I'm talking or texting about him.

DH chose the middle name, but he was not getting a vote on the first name for a boy.

A girl name was proving to be much harder, but after the big ultrasound, there was no longer any need, so...