PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations fur car mount to put cell phone to use as a GPS

diamond
08-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Recommendations for car mount to put cell phone to use as a GPS

liz
08-02-2017, 06:51 AM
My BIL swears by this type of car mount https://www.amazon.com/WizGear-Universal-Swift-Snap-Technology-Smartphones/dp/B00PGJWYJ0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1501670070&sr=8-4&keywords=cell+phone+car+holder. He travels a lot for work and has used this for years without a problem. He just slides the magnet under the phone case on his iPhone.

We have used the window mount (kind of a pain, it's out of reach if you need to adjust it and sometimes the suction cup gives out). DH bought this for his car and it's ok but the after a while the material doesn't hold up the phone and gets kind of sticky https://www.amazon.com/Duttek-2-Slot-Rubber-AntiSlip-Sticky/dp/B01IQVJ9PG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1501670326&sr=8-4&keywords=cell+phone+car+holder+gel

I'm planning on buying a mount like my BIL uses next.

eta, my BIL's mount uses the car vent

Kindra178
08-02-2017, 11:09 AM
I have the magnet one recommended above. It's ok - I think it does better with a regular size phone versus my plus. It also doesn't work with all cases.

twowhat?
08-02-2017, 11:14 AM
Kenu Airframe, hands down. Be sure to check which size you're getting (regular or +) depending on how big your phone is. We've tried lots - DH travels a lot. This one is small, easily tossed in a briefcase, works everywhere, and avoids the magnet. We've had phones come dislodged from the magnet, and the magnet also adds a tiny bit of thickness to your phone, as you have to insert it underneath the case. The tiny bit of extra bulge bugged the crap out of me:) DH's problem was that he often "missed" the center of the magnet because he refused to stick (with adhesive) the magnet to his phone case so it would shift...so the phone would be holding on just at the edge of the magnet and then come off as the car went over a bump. With the Airframe, you know your phone is securely inserted because it looks like it's securely inserted!

eta: there are a lot of "knock-offs", some probably better than others. DH has had a couple of the knockoffs and neither worked anywhere as well as the (expensive!) Kenu so read reviews!

Minnifer
08-02-2017, 11:57 AM
I use a beanbag type (that I originally bought for my Garmin) with a phone mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OL2MU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0YC0PE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The beanbag stays well on the dash and it doesn't block anything (previously I had a CD slot mount and I liked it but it blocked some buttons and the rear camera view on my current car).

candaceb
08-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Kenu Airframe, hands down. Be sure to check which size you're getting (regular or +) depending on how big your phone is.

:yeahthat:

A friend recommended it on a "favorite things" thread on facebook a couple of years ago. I really didn't think it could work, but it has been great. DH is very anti-gadget and ended up getting one for his car too because it works so well.

It only comes off the vent if I pull it off. The phone stays securely. I have an iphone SE with a regular sized case (not super thin, not otterbox bulky) and it fits fine in the regular size. I can get the phone in it with one hand though I try not to do it while I'm driving...

mm123
08-02-2017, 12:24 PM
:yeahthat:

A friend recommended it on a "favorite things" thread on facebook a couple of years ago. I really didn't think it could work, but it has been great. DH is very anti-gadget and ended up getting one for his car too because it works so well.

It only comes off the vent if I pull it off. The phone stays securely. I have an iphone SE with a regular sized case (not super thin, not otterbox bulky) and it fits fine in the regular size. I can get the phone in it with one hand though I try not to do it while I'm driving...

I have one that's the same style as the Kenu Airframe, and it works great. I actually grabbed it when I saw it at a dollar store (I think it was $3 or $4). Not as nice as the Kenu, but it's been 2 years, and it's still going strong. Easy to get the phone in, and it's never fallen out.

94bruin
08-02-2017, 12:27 PM
I have the magnet type and DH has the Kenu Airframe. Both are great choices.

ett
08-02-2017, 12:52 PM
I also have one like the Kenu Airframe. I just got one for DH's car for $7 at Marshalls.

AnnieW625
08-02-2017, 01:31 PM
DH has a Kenu Airframe. I don't have one as I have nav in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfceagles
08-02-2017, 10:58 PM
I have the magnet kind and can't imagine life with out it. I stick the magnet to the inside of my case instead of directly to the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerseygirl07067
08-03-2017, 03:40 PM
This is brilliant and where has it been all of my smartphone life? Does the airframe work if your phone is kept in a case? I'm assuming yes, because the clamp that holds it is spring loaded?