PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for a day planner for a 13 year old

Soccermomm
08-01-2017, 08:15 PM
I am looking for a good (hopefully great) dayplanner for my DS. He is 13 going into 8th grade. Really needs to learn to get organized, write down homework, etc.

Looking for any great recomendations.

Thank you!!!!!

PunkyBoo
08-01-2017, 08:40 PM
I am looking for a good (hopefully great) dayplanner for my DS. He is 13 going into 8th grade. Really needs to learn to get organized, write down homework, etc.

Looking for any great recomendations.

Thank you!!!!!
Do they sell one at the school? My son is the same age/ grade and he bought one his school sells for $5. He said it was a huge help last year.

SnuggleBuggles
08-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Mine used his phone. Is that an option? Pre-phone, he just wrote them in a regular notebook. Using a planner never worked for him. His k-8 school gives all kids a planner and tries to instill good usage habits in the early grades. Just wasn't his thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soccermomm
08-02-2017, 08:10 AM
Do they sell one at the school? My son is the same age/ grade and he bought one his school sells for $5. He said it was a huge help last year.

We moved from the west coast last year, his previous school had one which was great. This last school year we bought one at at target i beleive, and he really did not use it. Trying to find something great for this school year.

Kindra178
08-02-2017, 08:53 AM
My kid uses the myhomework iPad app. His middle school sells a planner too, but he never used it in favor of the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mom2khj
08-02-2017, 09:23 AM
DD1 had the student planner from Plum Paper (plumpaper.com) last year and asked for it again for this coming school year. She liked the way it was organized.

I know Erin Condren planners are popular and a friend recently told me they have a student version as well.

Corie
08-02-2017, 09:42 AM
I bought this planner for my DS. He is going into the 7th grade.

http://mixedroleproductions.com/

I used this exact same planner to many many years!!! (Now I have a huge desk calendar.)

Soccermomm
08-02-2017, 05:55 PM
I bought this planner for my DS. He is going into the 7th grade.

http://mixedroleproductions.com/

I used this exact same planner to many many years!!! (Now I have a huge desk calendar.)

Corie- can you send me a pic of what the inside looks like? I went to the website and they dont show what the inside looks like. Susan

Soccermomm
08-02-2017, 05:56 PM
DD1 had the student planner from Plum Paper (plumpaper.com) last year and asked for it again for this coming school year. She liked the way it was organized.

I know Erin Condren planners are popular and a friend recently told me they have a student version as well.

I stumbled across the plum paper one this morning when looking for best planner. Looks like it might be a good fit. Susan

Corie
08-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Corie- can you send me a pic of what the inside looks like? I went to the website and they dont show what the inside looks like. Susan

Go to Google and type in Mixed Role Productions. Then search images. There are tons of pictures.
I like that this calendar is less than $20.

My high school daughter uses a Lilly Pulitzer calendar.

Corie
08-02-2017, 08:12 PM
I stumbled across the plum paper one this morning when looking for best planner. Looks like it might be a good fit. Susan

I just looked at the plum paper planner and that would not be a good fit for my son. My son has horrible handwriting
and I don't think he could fit his writing in those small boxes. Plus, I hate to say this but it does look like a feminine planner to me.

KrisM
08-02-2017, 09:00 PM
I like these, but DS never quite used it. https://www.amazon.com/Student-Planner-2017-School-Datebooks/dp/B06WWQ1YR1/ref=pd_bxgy_229_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06WWQ1YR1&pd_rd_r=3JK52ZR3SPP75W7T9X8E&pd_rd_w=UQ62U&pd_rd_wg=TyEQi&psc=1&refRID=3JK52ZR3SPP75W7T9X8E

I like that you have a row per class and can keep track of things by class and day.

He mostly relies on memory, which is a bad plan, really. But he writes things on a white board in his locker after each class and then puts it in his phone at the end of the day. He's asked for a small, plain notebook this year, so I got him one of those.

Gracemom
08-02-2017, 10:09 PM
I'm getting this one for my daughter. It's really simple. https://www.target.com/p/yoobi-153-academic-monthly-weekly-planner-2017-2018/-/A-52680085#lnk=sametab&preselect=52037058

Soccermomm
08-03-2017, 05:54 PM
I just looked at the plum paper planner and that would not be a good fit for my son. My son has horrible handwriting
and I don't think he could fit his writing in those small boxes. Plus, I hate to say this but it does look like a feminine planner to me.

I agree with you, it seems geared towards girls.

rlu
08-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Same boat, same issues raised by others (handwriting, spaces too small) so my proposal to DS is to use the one the school gives him if the teacher/s require him to but ALSO use a composition book so he can write as much as necessary for each class/assignment. Last year he used the school-issued book and there's wasn't enough room for all the details he needed and consequently ran into due dates springing up on us.

I dislike adding to his backpack, but I think this might be the best way for him to go. I have a freebie calendar from somewhere that we'll use at home for him to track projects/tests/etc that he copies over from the comp book.

I find a composition books works best for me as my "bullet journal" of sorts, hopefully it will for him as well.

Corie
08-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Did you have a chance to look at the pictures of the planner that I posted? The planner is by Mixed Role Productions. I got my son the black cover. He plans to cover it in Nike, OVO, and Supreme stickers.

Dcclerk
08-04-2017, 09:04 AM
We are trying this one this year. Our school gives one to the kids but this looks even better and gets great reviews...https://products.orderoochaos.com/collections/academic-planners/products/2017-2018-academic-planner-a-tool-for-time-management-letter-size-8-x-11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2khj
08-04-2017, 09:52 AM
I agree with you, it seems geared towards girls.

I agree for the most part, but you can get monochrome pages and there are a few covers that don't look so feminine (some of the dark grey or black simple patterns). DD likes that it has a section for each class, rather than just listing the days of the week. It helps keep her more organized than one giant block for the day. She has OK handwriting, but she mostly is just using it to write down what is due each day, and that doesn't take up much space. That's how her brain works (and mine too, really). But, I'm sure there are others who prefer a single block with lots of space to write.

I also just remembered Costco had one last year for a really good price. I cannot remember the brand, but it was a popular one that came up when I was looking for DD - I found it at Costco after I had already bought the other one. I can't remember if it looked more unisex or not, but it might be worth checking into.