PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle sad stories on Craigslist for bargaining purposes?

div_0305
08-02-2017, 05:07 PM
I do not post on Craigslist often, but nearly every time I have posted, someone contacts me with a very sad story about why I should sell at a very reduced price to them. Others will say they want it for a church donation. It happens so often that I just wonder if anyone else here gets these responses and how you handle them. I donate A LOT more than I sell on Craigslist, so what I sell on Craigslist is usually so I can use that $ for other things for my kids. Certain things I'll sell as OBO and others at a set price. I get these comments on both types of listings. The latest is someone telling me I will make a 2yr old who just had a tumor removed very happy.

SnuggleBuggles
08-02-2017, 05:18 PM
While I'm sure some of those are legit, I don't always believe them. As a result, it won't change my sale.
Fwiw, I much prefer my local Facebook FSOT boards. They're more transparent (you "know" the person) and no where near as flaky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat?
08-02-2017, 05:35 PM
I always include in the listing that the price is not negotiable. I don't respond to any emails with sad stories, because the price isn't negotiable. I admit that I cherry-pick which emails to respond to - I'll pick the ones with good grammar/spelling, who mention the specific item, who leave me a phone number to call back, or who ask specific questions about the item (this one is rare because I list items VERY accurately, with dimensions, lots of pics, etc). It may not be fair, but I've been burned and I am protecting myself from scammers and flakes.

I engage only through email or I call the number that the buyer provides (if email only, I don't provide my number until I feel like the buyer is serious), and I do NOT give my address out until the very last step - I give an approximate location (near X elementary school), and I require buyers to contact me when they are ON THEIR WAY. Then and only then do I give an address. If anyone gives me a hard time about my "rules", I don't engage further. Again, I do it to protect myself and honest buyers understand.

Since I've been much more stringent about how I deal with people on Craigslist, I have not been burned!

Our local FB group is "safer" because members of the group have at least been roughly pre-screened. But the flakes, OMG the flakes! People who have to check with their spouses, who pass because the item "won't work in their space" even though I've provided very clear dimensions and pictures, etc. It's actually just as irritating. And each time someone says they are interested they get 12 hours to complete the transaction...so if they say "interested, checking with husband"...you might not hear back for 12 hours, only to have them come back and say "hubby said no so I have to pass". Grrrr.

specialp
08-02-2017, 05:51 PM
I ignore/don't respond and move on.

TwinFoxes
08-02-2017, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't even respond.

AngB
08-02-2017, 09:03 PM
I always include in the listing that the price is not negotiable. I don't respond to any emails with sad stories, because the price isn't negotiable. I admit that I cherry-pick which emails to respond to - I'll pick the ones with good grammar/spelling, who mention the specific item, who leave me a phone number to call back, or who ask specific questions about the item (this one is rare because I list items VERY accurately, with dimensions, lots of pics, etc). It may not be fair, but I've been burned and I am protecting myself from scammers and flakes.
Our local FB group is "safer" because members of the group have at least been roughly pre-screened. But the flakes, OMG the flakes! People who have to check with their spouses, who pass because the item "won't work in their space" even though I've provided very clear dimensions and pictures, etc. It's actually just as irritating. And each time someone says they are interested they get 12 hours to complete the transaction...so if they say "interested, checking with husband"...you might not hear back for 12 hours, only to have them come back and say "hubby said no so I have to pass". Grrrr.

I am just like you. I prefer CL to FB for selling because of all the "rules" in the crazy FB groups and I want to pick who I am going to deal with. I also ignore the sob stories (and also if they show up and then try to negotiate! That pisses me off and I will not lower the price on principle and just say "oh well I have several other people interested if this falls through so it's X price." [even if I don't have other people interested.] I have never had anyone not just take it...considering they already agreed. I also don't like the public aspect of FB, I don't really want all of my friends to see my kids crap I'm selling, etc.

SnuggleBuggles
08-02-2017, 10:08 PM
Guess I'm lucky- no fussy rules on our Facebook FSOTs.

mom2binsd
08-02-2017, 10:46 PM
99% of the CL stories are fake! Ignore them if you don't want to sell it cheaper. I use the next door app for almost all selling, it's so much better and even easier than the FB groups.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

candaceb
08-03-2017, 10:32 AM
I ignore them. If it's something I want to donate, I will donate to a charity - like the local foster closet.
There was a woman scamming on our local fb groups - she would post her sob story on one about being unexpectedly pregnant and asking for stuff and then selling the stuff that was given to her on another fb group. Enough people are members of all the groups that they put it together and outed her.

div_0305
08-03-2017, 11:04 AM
OP here! Thanks all! So good to know. Now I can ease my conscience and see how prevalent this is. I also use Facebook groups--no crazy 12 hour rules because someone is interested. I just say no holds allowed, the item is X-posted, and will sell to the first to pickup. I still get people on FB asking me if I'd donate the items, but I guess they figure it doesn't hurt to ask. I might try the Nextdoor site. Ours is so crowded with posts, so I figured my posts would quickly get buried.

TwinFoxes
08-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Guess I'm lucky- no fussy rules on our Facebook FSOTs.

Same here. It's pretty much first come first serve, and you have to live in a certain geographical area.

essnce629
08-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Maybe try the app OfferUp instead. Most people have switched over to selling that way. CL seems to have less and less regular people selling their personal stuff. OfferUp is super simple and you communicate text style through the app. No long sob stories that way.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
08-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Maybe try the app OfferUp instead. Most people have switched over to selling that way. CL seems to have less and less regular people selling their personal stuff. OfferUp is super simple and you communicate text style through the app. No long sob stories that way.

Have you used it? I've only seen the commercials, don't know anyone who's used it IRL.

For clothes, I like Poshmark. I've been really successful selling there, I feel like I can sell for a better price than FB for my used Boden stuff.

essnce629
08-03-2017, 01:52 PM
Have you used it? I've only seen the commercials, don't know anyone who's used it IRL.

For clothes, I like Poshmark. I've been really successful selling there, I feel like I can sell for a better price than FB for my used Boden stuff.Yes, me, my mom, and DH have all used OfferUp with success. Some items I actually posted on both CL and OfferUp and definitely got much more immediate responses on OfferUp. I will not use CL again. OfferUp is extremely popular here.

DualvansMommy
08-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Yes, me, my mom, and DH have all used OfferUp with success. Some items I actually posted on both CL and OfferUp and definitely got much more immediate responses on OfferUp. I will not use CL again. OfferUp is extremely popular here.

I've to check this out. I never used CL because it's just so spammy and full of time wasters, so I use my neighborhood FB but is starting to really fill up with too many nonsense I don't have time for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chitowngirl
08-03-2017, 05:58 PM

carolinacool
08-03-2017, 06:55 PM
I've to check this out. I never used CL because it's just so spammy and full of time wasters, so I use my neighborhood FB but is starting to really fill up with too many nonsense I don't have time for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not to go too far off topic, but yes! I used a FB kids group last summer, and it was a pretty easy process. But then over the winter, more and more people started posting about whole-house or closet "purges" and the main image was some stock photography of a beautiful closet, garage or outfits. Then there would be dozens of pictures in the comments of the stuff. it just became clunky, time-consuming and kind of dishonest. If those aren't your clothes, shoes, or furniture pieces, don't post that main photo. I do wish there was a rule about that.