PDA

View Full Version : Keyless/ touchpad front door lock?

PunkyBoo
08-02-2017, 10:28 PM
I have a lot of questions! Input appreciated!
If you have keyless touchscreen deadbolt on your front door, what kind do you have? Do you like it? Do you also have a separate security alarm system? Does the Amazon Echo work with your deadbolt, and do you need the smart things hub? Does the smart lock itself send you notifications when it is used, or do you have to check the app to see any entries?

SnuggleBuggles
08-02-2017, 10:31 PM
I want one so much but dh refuses as he just doesn't think they are secure. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo
08-02-2017, 10:35 PM
I want one so much but dh refuses as he just doesn't think they are secure. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We need to get one because DS1 will be walking home from the bus stop and letting himself into the house this school year. DH and I will be at work. We don't want to risk him losing a house key, and planned to get an alarm of some sort anyway. Also want to be able to give my mom and the occasional babysitter a code so we don't have to figure out how to give them the key when are not home.

baymom
08-02-2017, 10:45 PM
We don't have one, but we did get a remote keyless entry for our garage this year. We got it from Amazon and it was very easy to install. DS comes home from school to an empty house from time to time and this way we don't have to ever worry that he forgot or lost his key.

PunkyBoo
08-02-2017, 10:46 PM
We don't have one, but we did get a remote keyless entry for our garage this year. We got it from Amazon and it was very easy to install. DS comes home from school to an empty house from time to time and this way we don't have to ever worry that he forgot or lost his key.
Can you tell me what specifically that is? A brand name or?

essnce629
08-03-2017, 01:23 AM
Yes, we have a Schlage Connect. When I got it, it did not link with Alexa, but now it apparently does according to Amazon. This must be a very recent addition because we've had our Echo for over a year and I'm constantly checking what works with it. You must have a Z-link hub, like Wink or Smartthings in order to access the lock and codes on your phone and receive notifications. So you'd be using the Wink or Smartthings app. For the first several months I didn't have a hub so all the user codes were programmed directly using the lock's keypad. You can have up to 30 different codes. Each person in our household has their own code, plus my mom and housekeeper. I can create and delete random codes whenever for work people, etc. We do not have a separate alarm system. The lock has an alarm that you can adjust the sensitivity on or change whether you want it to go off whenever a wrong code is entered 3 times or only if there's forced entry. Once I got the Wink Hub 2 I was able to lock and unlock the door using my phone and could add and delete user codes from my phone as well. For some odd reason though I haven't been able to get the notifications to work. Apparently I'm the only one with this problem and need to contact Wink. Normally, you'd set up robots in the Wink app to be able to receive notifications whenever a certain code is used, the door is locked, the battery is low, etc. I originally wanted a Smartthings hub but at the time it didn't allow code access (adding and deleting codes) outside of your home. Also, the lock has autolock where you can have it lock automatically after 30 seconds. You can disable it if you want. My neighbor has the same lock and has been happy with it as well.

ETA: I just checked and the only way the lock works with Alexa is to lock (not unlock) the door and to check the status ("is the front door locked?") This is through the Wink skill.

Schlage Connect BE469NX CAM 619 Touchscreen Deadbolt with alarm with Camelot Trim, Satin Nickel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AGK9KOG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_P9QGzbCR6WE6Z

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

kara97210
08-03-2017, 01:53 AM
On the side door to our house we have this one - https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-Connect-Touchscreen-Deadbolt-SmartThings/dp/B00AGK9KJG and love it, one of the best house purchases we've made. When my mom (or any guests) come to visit from out of town, we don't need to give them a key, we just give them the code to that door. I don't really trust DD to not lose a key, but she can always let herself in if she's locked out. I also love not having to fumble with keys when I'm carrying a lot into the house.

At our old house we had a doorknob with a touchpad (like this - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-Touch-Keyless-Touchscreen-Century-Trim-Satin-Nickel-Lock-with-Latitude-Lever-FE695-CEN-619-LAT/205616762) on our back door. We just had a standard deadbolt above it. It's a really good option if you're worried about security. We used it to come in and out of the backyard, but when we were going out of town or wanted to secure the house a little more, we also used the deadbolt.

niccig
08-03-2017, 04:16 AM
We just had 2 installed on front and back door. The installation has to be just right, as it can be finicky. We replaced the weather stripping and it wouldn't lock, so DH reinstalled it. DH has the lock hooked up to the Samsung smart things hub and then Alexis is hooked up to the hub. Alexia will only lock, as someone outside could tell her to unlock. The Samsung hub app will lock and unlock the doors. DH has the app set up with "goodnight" group and both doors lock. He can also unlock the door when gets out of the car, so it's open when you reach the door.

To be honest, I was fine with using a key. DH hates looking for his keys when he comes home when it's dark, we will know when DS gets home from school, and lock doors when I forget when leave the house - I always forget if I locked the door and we have to go back to check.

We also put in the ring doorbell and some cameras, that all connect to the Samsung hub and then to Alexia, we have Echo View so can see who is at door - can see that neighbor picked up magazines on front door while he waited.

DH had a person from Amazon do a smart home consultation to help work it out. He told DH each device has to sink to its own app then sync to the Samsung hub and then sync to Alexia. DH eventually got it all working how he wanted, but there was some cursing during the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

pastrygirl
08-03-2017, 06:47 AM
We've had Schlage keypads forever. I can't remember the last time I had to use a key. We don't have any wifi-enabled ones, though.

94bruin
08-03-2017, 12:50 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-Camelot-Satin-Nickel-Accent-Keypad-Lever-FE595-CAM-619-ACC/100608049

We installed this many years ago on our entry door, which is not our front door since we're on a corner lot. We LOVE it! We don't miss that it's not connected to Alexa. In fact, DH doesn't like for one system to have access to all our home devices. We DO have a separate alarm system and a separate deadbolt. We deadbolt only when we're all in for the evening or if we're away on vacation. We can check entry into the house via our alarm system's app.

My cousin's son is staying with us for a few months. Love that we can give him his own access code on both the keypad and the alarm system. We'll get rid of his codes when he's gone. Love that DD1, who walks home from middle school to an empty house, doesn't have to rely on a key to get in. Like others, I worry about her losing the key, even though she's a responsible kid.

essnce629
08-03-2017, 12:57 PM
We also put in the ring doorbell and some cameras, that all connect to the Samsung hub and then to Alexia, we have Echo View so can see who is at door - can see that neighbor picked up magazines on front door while he waited.

Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

Yes, we also put in a Ring Doorbell Pro and a Nest Outdoor Camera in our backyard overlooking our pool. The 3 work well together. I like being able to physically see who is at my front door and in my backyard. And if the kids are in the pool I can still see and hear them if I have to go in the house for something.

niccig
08-03-2017, 01:30 PM
I forgot the Nest thermostat, that started this whole, let's connect everything, as got the thermostat and then the echo and Alexia can tell us temp in house and adjust thermostat. Personally, I don't think it's all necessary, but I left it up to DH to work out. Our security alarm didn't work and was disconnected during the remodel and DH decided to go this route rather than wired security system.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

essnce629
08-03-2017, 01:55 PM
I forgot the Nest thermostat, that started this whole, let's connect everything, as got the thermostat and then the echo and Alexia can tell us temp in house and adjust thermostat. Personally, I don't think it's all necessary, but I left it up to DH to work out. Our security alarm didn't work and was disconnected during the remodel and DH decided to go this route rather than wired security system.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)Oh yeah, we have a Nest thermostat too lol! We actually had it sitting in a box for over 2 years though before hooking it up (DH got it as a gift)! It took getting the Echo to finally make me want to install it!

specialp
08-03-2017, 03:01 PM
We've had Schlage keypads forever. I can't remember the last time I had to use a key. We don't have any wifi-enabled ones, though.

:yeahthat: We also have a separate alarm system with motion cameras that record. We can view in real time or go back on our cell phones while away.

baymom
08-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Can you tell me what specifically that is? A brand name or?

Yes, sorry--I saw this yesterday but didn't have a chance to look it up. I'll scroll through my order history and report back. I think ours was about $30, and there are actually lots of them on Amazon.

RiverRat
08-03-2017, 09:18 PM
I have two of the Schledge locks and love them!! Type in your code, turn the deadbolt and in you go. I have one that gets into the garage with a code. Then the kids get in the house with a second lock and a different code. I did not want anything electronic or attached to y iPhone. What's the point if I forget my phone inside?

This are the best thing I've added to my house!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)