PDA

View Full Version : Do your young kids entertain themselves in the morning or wake you up?

mackmama
08-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Is it reasonable for a 6yo to wake up, get up, and play quietly for 30mins or so before the parent wakes up?

JenChem
08-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Yes

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

carolinacool
08-03-2017, 10:55 AM
If there's a Wii or iPad around, we never even know he's up. My DS is 7.5 and if he wakes up before us, he's usually on one of those two things. We don't have a strict limit on screen time, so it's OK with us.

BDKmom
08-03-2017, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by reasonable, but my two (7 and 5) usually play for 30-45 min before I get up this summer. Sometimes they go to the playroom, sometimes they get their iPads out. I'm ok with it.

ETA: The first one up (typically my DS who is 7) usually comes in and tells me they are awake, then the other joins them when they get up. If my 5 yr old DD wakes up first, she usually plays on the floor in my room until her brother gets up.

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2017, 10:57 AM
Yep. Totally.

Philly Mom
08-03-2017, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by reasonable, but my two (7 and 5) usually play for 30-45 min before I get up this summer. Sometimes they go to the playroom, sometimes they get their iPads out. I'm ok with it.

Us too. My kids are 3.5 and 6. I leave an iPad outside my room. They are allowed to get it after 7. My younger one sometimes sleeps past me, sometimes plays by herself and sometimes watches the iPad with her sister. With no iPad, they will play together if they are both up but then I find my 6 yo will wake up my 3.5 yo.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
08-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Hmm. I guess it must be reasonable since everybody else say that it is but I honestly cannot imagine having my kids up and moving around and me not supervising them. That would never happen at my house.

Mommy_Mea
08-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Yes, it has been our expectation since they were little that they stay in bed until 6am. We used the okay to wake clock before they could tell time. We did sticker charts when they were really little. They have books and toys in their rooms.

o_mom
08-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Is it reasonable for a 6yo to wake up, get up, and play quietly for 30mins or so before the parent wakes up?

Yes. At that age, they even get themselves a bowl of cereal here.

JenChem
08-03-2017, 11:36 AM
One morning while I was traveling DH awoke to find DS (age 3) fully dressed and sitting at the table with bowl and cereal waiting for him for milk. Now DS is 8 and DD is 4.5 and we expect them to be quiet on weekend mornings until about 8. They normally snack on cereal bars or fruit and may watch tv or play on tablets/handhelds. If DD wakes before DS, she normally plays quietly in her room until she hears him. She has woken him up before, but that's rare. We have used the OK to wake clock for DS, we need to maybe upgrade him to a real clock and pass that one down to DD.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

JBaxter
08-03-2017, 11:39 AM
I always heard them wake up and get go to the bathroom and I just automatically wake. DS4 will sleep until noon in the summer and has always slept like a teenager Ive never had that issue with him

meggie t
08-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Absolutely reasonable. My 7 yo and 4.5 yo do this. They go downstairs and play/watch tv (after 7am only; DD has an ok to wake clock). They do come get me when they are ready for breakfast, usually around 8am. I usually push them off to 8:30.

94bruin
08-03-2017, 12:52 PM
For a 6 year old - yes! Mine would get up and just read in bed. BUUUUT it took a lot of training to get here, lol!

scrooks
08-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Yep... all my kids (10, 7 and 4) do this just fine although on occasion the 4 year old will wake us up.

bisous
08-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Why is this desirable?

TwinFoxes
08-03-2017, 01:11 PM
My two have always awoken and stayed in their cribs/beds chit-chatting. I can hear them from my room, it's super cute. I wondered if non-twins stayed in bed or otherwise occupied themselves, clearly they do. :)

trcy
08-03-2017, 01:15 PM
DD will come in to our room in the morning.

essnce629
08-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Yes, definitely.

I taught my kids at 2 years old not to wake me up! I'm not a morning person! At 7 years old I taught DS2 how to make his own eggs, so he'll get up, make himself eggs, cereal, and fruit and be awake for hours before me. He keeps himself busy by watching TV, playing on the computer or tablet, drawing, making stuff, etc.

At 2, we always had the house super baby proofed so I didn't worry. I'd leave out a sippy cup of water, dry cereal, and have the TV on PBS (they knew how to turn it on).

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

carolinacool
08-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Why is this desirable?

So I can sleep late! :ROTFLMAO: I'm a night owl on the weekends, so I'm almost always the last person up. Between DS and DH, DS is usually up first. Since he turned 6, I haven't felt that he needed constant eyes-on supervision. He knows not to go outside, he's old enough to know not to climb on furniture, pull on TVs, etc. I don't have him cooking yet, but he can get drinks, yogurt, breakfast bars, etc. He's not hanging out for half a day alone, but he can handle 30 minutes to an hour.

essnce629
08-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Why is this desirable?Because I'm not a morning person at all and HATE waking up! I'd rather stay up till 3am than wake up early. [emoji23]

Obviously during the school year I'm on mom duty in the morning and I'm usually up before the kids anyways. On the weekends DH is on morning duty while I sleep in super late. But he usually sleeps until at least 9:30 on the weekends.

TwinFoxes
08-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Why is this desirable?

Because mommies need sleep too. :)

bisous
08-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Ok now I have to poll my friends. I've been parenting for this many years and did not realize that moms ever got up later than their kids, lol.

Of course, I'm a morning person and all of my kids but one ARE NOT so it is really easy for me to be the first person up in our family. I can't imagine being able to actually sleep if I thought one of my kids was awake but in all honestly I think I suffer from morning FOMO. Even when I lived in the dorms in college I had this compulsion with being the first one up on my floor. The showers were still hot and there was no line. :)

jbbhb
08-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Just this summer our older two (5&7) have been letting us sleep. They just go out to the living room and watch tv or play on the iPads. It's great! Our house is 1200 sq ft so we can hear them. It's so nice to be able to doze a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

TwinFoxes
08-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Even when I lived in the dorms in college I had this compulsion with being the first one up on my floor. The showers were still hot and there was no line. http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif
If you sleep late enough, the hot water replenishes itself and all those morning people are gone so there are no lines again. http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif

essnce629
08-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Our house is 1200 sq ft so we can hear them. It's so nice to be able to doze a little longer.

Yes, a small 1-story house definitely helps!!! Our current house is 1-story and 1800 sq feet and before we were in a 1200 sq feet apartment. I don't think I could sleep in if we had a huge 2-story house! [emoji23]

Philly Mom
08-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Yes, a small 1-story house definitely helps!!! Our current house is 1-story and 1800 sq feet and before we were in a 1200 sq feet apartment. I don't think I could sleep in if we had a huge 2-story house! [emoji23]

I am sure you could [emoji12]. Sleep is that nice.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2017, 02:04 PM
I am sure you could [emoji12]. Sleep is that nice.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Absolutely! The kids know not to wake us up. :) Luckily they've always been fabulous (for our family) late sleepers. No one ever wakes up before 8. I think I trained them well (again, for how our family rolls). If I had a kid that woke up at 6, I'm pretty sure I'd die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

specialp
08-03-2017, 02:22 PM
Yes. We used the okay-to-wake clocks since crib age so if they get up early, they stay in their rooms and play with toys until green light. We are almost always awake first, but it's my time to talk and catch up with DH, shower, or read the news uninterrupted.

khm
08-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Yeah, for us, it wasn't like we were sleeping dead-to-the-world, but lounging and putting off getting out of bed for that extra bit of time.

I can't really remember what the age was for us, but 6 is old enough for the "entertain yourself" skill in my opinion.

doberbrat
08-03-2017, 03:02 PM
absolutely! Once they could independently toilet themselves they needed to stay in bed until get up time. Usually 8am on a weekend but if they go to bed late, it could be as late as 9am. Until then, they may read or play quietly in their bed and not disturb anyone else.

Afterwards, they are welcome to get up, let the dogs out (and back in) and play or serve themselves cereal. They eat it dry so spilling milk isnt a concern. Once they've done what they need to do, they could watch PBS until I get up. If I have to get up because they bug me or argue etc, tv time is over for the day.

You'd be amazed at how self sufficient they can be when its in their best interest! And, I'm a MUCH happier person and better parent if I get to sleep late or read quietly in the morning.

mackmama
08-03-2017, 03:02 PM
OP here - appreciate the responses. DH is a morning person and is always the first one up. DC wakes up at 6am. I am NOT a morning person, yet DH says I should get up when DC wakes and tells DC to go wake me up. When DH travels, DC wakes up and plays quietly so I can doze for an extra 30mins and it all works very well. (We live in a small one-level home btw.)

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2017, 03:31 PM
OP here - appreciate the responses. DH is a morning person and is always the first one up. DC wakes up at 6am. I am NOT a morning person, yet DH says I should get up when DC wakes and tells DC to go wake me up. When DH travels, DC wakes up and plays quietly so I can doze for an extra 30mins and it all works very well. (We live in a small one-level home btw.)

Wait now. Even when he's home and up he has her wake you up?? That wouldn't end well for my dh. :)

lalasmama
08-03-2017, 03:36 PM
I think I instituted a "play quietly until Mommy is up" rule when DD was around 6. She came to tell me she was awake, then she was restricted to upstairs (both bedrooms, bathroom) so I could sleep some more. At some point, we moved to a single-level apartment that was like 800sqft, so I would hear her get up, and she'd entertain herself. All this being said, she's lost the privilege a time or two for slamming cupboards at 5:00am.... Mama ain't nice before 7:00am!

georgiegirl
08-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Depends on the kid. DS1 has ADHD and he really struggles not to wake me up in the morning. Now at 8, he doesn't wake me up that often, but at 6 he would wake me at least 50% of the time.

DD knows not to wake me up. She likes to sleep in.

ett
08-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Wait now. Even when he's home and up he has her wake you up?? That wouldn't end well for my dh. :)

:yeahthat: Same here!

OP - I don't understand your DH's logic! Does he want you up to take care of DC's needs? If not, then why can't you sleep in?

jgenie
08-03-2017, 03:58 PM

This wouldn't fly in our house. If there is a parent awake, they parent until the other parent is up. DH is an early riser and likes to hide in his office in the mornings. If DC wake me and I know he's up, I'll send them to find him. DH and I generally get up at 5:30. He sits quietly reading / listening to music and I hit the treadmill. If he's tired for some reason and stays in bed, I cover the parenting until he gets up. He does the same for me. We're all early birds. It's rare that we're not all awake by 6:00. I would ask your DH why he thinks your DD needs to wake you? Does he just not want to parent if you're sleeping?

BananaMama
08-03-2017, 04:14 PM
My kids are required to play or read quietly in their rooms separately until 8am.

boogiemom
08-03-2017, 04:46 PM
My kids are required to play or read quietly in their rooms separately until 8am.

Yes to this. Since they were maybe 4 years old? They must stay in their rooms quietly until 8a and may then come out to the family room, close our bedroom door and watch tv quietly. When they would get noisy, they lost the privilege of coming out to the family room for awhile and had to entertain themselves in their rooms until we were up and told them they could come out. Only had to happen a couple of times over the years.

Cam&Clay
08-03-2017, 05:17 PM
DS2 woke up at 7:30 this morning, according to him. I didn't get up until close to 10. He had already had cereal. He's been doing this for years as did his big brother since they were about 5 or 6.

DualvansMommy
08-03-2017, 05:35 PM
6 and 3.5 year olds in my house and this summer is the first time I've started to put in quiet time since we all get up later. Camp doesn't start for both till 9 and 9:30am, so I've resorted to leaving a small small pitcher of milk inside fridge that's easy for DS1 to pour over his cereal and younger brother in the mornings. Working out quite well thus far! We do this during the week cuz Dh leaves for work by 6:40 every morning. Ds2 is the early riser and we taught him to play quietly in his room or sneak into my bed and not wake DS1 up until he wakes up by himself around 730-745. By then I'm up but usually showering and often come down to see them dressed and eating breakfast or playing together.

This never happened last year throughout school year because we all have to wake up EARLY (645) for ds1 long commute to his private school. Now that this September will be very different, he's going to our public elementary where he doesn't have to catch the bus from my corner until 8:40 and ds2 to be dropped off at his new preschool 5 mins away by 9. I'll probably continue same pattern as we've been doing this summer through the school year, but we'll see in September! However on the weekends, Dh is always the first awake, naturally early riser no matter how late he gets to bed so he's pretty much downstairs 95% of the time either or both boys come downstairs and he takes care of them until I'm alive by 830.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

specialp
08-03-2017, 05:49 PM
This wouldn't fly in our house. If there is a parent awake, they parent until the other parent is up.

Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

This is how it works in our house. If you're up, you handle it and let the other one sleep unless, of course, there is working from home situation.

umsh
08-03-2017, 06:29 PM
absolutely! Once they could independently toilet themselves they needed to stay in bed until get up time. Usually 8am on a weekend but if they go to bed late, it could be as late as 9am. Until then, they may read or play quietly in their bed and not disturb anyone else.

Afterwards, they are welcome to get up, let the dogs out (and back in) and play or serve themselves cereal. They eat it dry so spilling milk isnt a concern. Once they've done what they need to do, they could watch PBS until I get up. If I have to get up because they bug me or argue etc, tv time is over for the day.

You'd be amazed at how self sufficient they can be when its in their best interest! And, I'm a MUCH happier person and better parent if I get to sleep late or read quietly in the morning.

This is a great idea!! When I know I want to sleep in I leave the iPad for the kids, but it's such a better idea to make iPad usage contingent on getting dressed, eating, etc!

TwinFoxes
08-03-2017, 06:40 PM

:yeahthat:

This wouldn't fly in our house. If there is a parent awake, they parent until the other parent is up. DH is an early riser and likes to hide in his office in the mornings. If DC wake me and I know he's up, I'll send them to find him.

This is exactly us, unless they just want to cuddle. If they're in up-and-at-em mode, they go find daddy.

doberbrat
08-03-2017, 07:36 PM
This is a great idea!! When I know I want to sleep in I leave the iPad for the kids, but it's such a better idea to make iPad usage contingent on getting dressed, eating, etc!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, when they were little, all they had to do was eat cereal and brush their teeth. Now, they must tend to the dogs, read, eat, brush teeth and clear their plates dd1 also needs to play her violin for 10min and do xtra math. dd2 needs to do xtra math and lexia. Sometimes they also need to clean their room first.

OP - how late are you sleeping and does your dh want to have time in bed alone? DH will sleep till 3 or 4pm if we let him. I'm OVER it. So after noon or 1pm, if the kids are bugging me, I feel free to send them to ask him some stuff. If they want stuff that he typically cooks, he needs to get up and do it. If I have a migraine, he needs to deal with them.

In an ideal world, each parent would be able to sleep late or have some down time on one day and then they swap or something like this.

mackmama
08-03-2017, 07:49 PM
OP here - This is all appreciated info. The latest that I "sleep in" is 7:30am, but I'm usually up by 7am. DC wakes at 6am or 6:30am, so DH is with DC for a max of one hour (but 90% of the time it's only 30mins). Still, DH sends DC in to wake me so I can be on child duty instead of him.

BunnyBee
08-03-2017, 07:50 PM
OP here - This is all appreciated info. The latest that I "sleep in" is 7:30am, but I'm usually up by 7am. DC wakes at 6am or 6:30am, so DH is with DC for a max of one hour (but 90% of the time it's only 30mins). Still, DH sends DC in to wake me so I can be on child duty instead of him.

That's complete and total BS.

jgenie
08-03-2017, 07:55 PM

I agree! Time to have a sit down with your DH.

georgiegirl
08-03-2017, 08:59 PM
Sounds like the problem is with your DH and not your DC. The general rule in my household is not to wake the sleeping parent if one parent is already awake with an earlier riser.

KpbS
08-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Absolutely yes. 30 min of play or 30 min-1 hr of tv is standard here for weekends and some summer days.

ArizonaGirl
08-03-2017, 09:39 PM
My DS is 8 and has some behavioral challenges, he is a morning person for sure. If I can get him to leave me alone until 700 I'm feeling like I just one the lottery... He will also wake up almost 5 year old DD in a heartbeat, because he's lonely.

She will sleep in late and is a total night owl.

Once I'm up I'll let DH sleep in for a bit but then I start bothering him because I resent when he sleeps in because I literally never get the chance to sleep in.

(430 wake up during the week for me for work, DH and the kids get up by 6 or 630)

I would love if we could alternate, but honestly with him working over 50 hours a week and me working 40, the weekends are packed with cleaning and errands already.

doberbrat
08-03-2017, 10:07 PM

Totally agree! Thats just absurd IMO

mom2binsd
08-03-2017, 11:01 PM
My dh pulled that BS, oh, sorry I meant my x DH.... Sorry OP, that's insane! At 6 your child should be able to entertain herself for a bit, read, turn on the TV, get a bowl of dry cereal, grab a sippy cup you poured the night before etc. Your DH should not send her in to wake you though. Does she need to be up thst early? Anyway to get her to sleep longer?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
08-04-2017, 01:54 AM

My 3 year old wakes up and plays semi-quietly in his room for 30-60 minutes in the morning before coming to get us up probably 4-5 days a week. (The other days are split between him sleeping later and him coming to our room earlier) He has a color changing wake up clock that he mostly follows, and it helps that he is young enough we can easily confine him to his room plus and empty hallway with a baby gate and doorknob covers.