PDA

View Full Version : I know comparison is the thief of joy but...

bisous
08-03-2017, 06:35 PM
DH is a twin. He loves his twin. I don't think he tries to compare himself to his twin but around their birthdays it is apparent that the two brothers have different lives and also pretty different priorities.

DH has been having a tough time for a lot of reasons. We're trying so hard to save money. DH works long hours and has a long commute. He gives so much of his time and frankly we, his family, take any and all of the energy and time that he has left after work and volunteer obligations.

I want to make his birthday feel special. I don't need to compete with his twin. His twin will do something like go to Italy for his BD and post all about it on FB. I know my DH wouldn't even want that right now.

How can I make his day special without spending a lot of money and staying true to him, a bit of an introvert and a pretty humble guy? I'd love for him to just feel happiness or satisfaction on his day, like he has a good life. I don't know. Just so when he reads about THE MOST AMAZING DAY that his twin has, he won't feel totally inferior? (And maybe he doesn't feel like that, but honestly as his wife I feel kinda lame when our birthday celebrations include "going to work and having cake when you get home" but maybe there is nothing wrong with that?)

Anyone got any ideas?

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Fun scavenger hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
08-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Fun scavenger hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good idea. I did that for him once when we were first married and he seemed to really like that.

JenChem
08-03-2017, 09:17 PM
What's his love language? For my DH gifts and trips are just ok. He prefers a date night and conversation. Maybe get someone to watch the kids, have a yummy meal (out or in), and just focus on him.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

KpbS
08-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Can he take the day off and just do some fun activities? Go to breakfast with the whole family, go hit some golf balls/workout/shoot baskets/jog at the beach/go to a museum/etc by himself or with a buddy, take a nap, go to a movie, etc.?

mommy111
08-03-2017, 10:08 PM
Host a party. Invite his friends. Nothing better to counter 'I spent the day in italy' with 'i am so popular and well loved'

bisous
08-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Can he take the day off and just do some fun activities? Go to breakfast with the whole family, go hit some golf balls/workout/shoot baskets/jog at the beach/go to a museum/etc by himself or with a buddy, take a nap, go to a movie, etc.?
These are all great ideas but this sounds really, really fun. I think he'd like this!