PDA

View Full Version : QUICK! Teens at funerals--clothing

lalasmama
08-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Here for traffic!

DD is going to two funerals this month. (Ugh, people, stop dying!) She's 13. Is she expected to wear a black dress?

One is at a Mormon church, and one is at a non-denomination Christian church.

Is a nice, sleeved, subdued sundress going to be okay?

bisous
08-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Here for traffic!

DD is going to two funerals this month. (Ugh, people, stop dying!) She's 13. Is she expected to wear a black dress?

One is at a Mormon church, and one is at a non-denomination Christian church.

Is a nice, sleeved, subdued sundress going to be okay?

It would be fine at the Mormon service. There is really no expectation to wear all black there.

carolinacool
08-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Should be fine for the Christian service as well.

JBaxter
08-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Yes anything that looks respectful will be fine.

lalasmama
08-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Thank you! DH thought so too... but he tries to wear cargo shorts in the snow, so I don't trust his fashion sense ;)

KpbS
08-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Yes, although if it is likely to be very air conditioned she might want a short sleeved dress instead. Anything modest and subdued should be fine.

doberbrat
08-03-2017, 10:16 PM
I could be totally wrong but I was under the impression that sleeveless is not considered appropriate in the Morman church so that might be something to consider depending on what the sundress looks like specifically.

I'm sorry for your losses.

ett
08-03-2017, 10:56 PM
I could be totally wrong but I was under the impression that sleeveless is not considered appropriate in the Morman church so that might be something to consider depending on what the sundress looks like specifically.

OP said the sundress was sleeved.

lalasmama
08-03-2017, 11:48 PM

OP here... Yes, we were planning on short sleeves. When all is said and done, she ended up with a black cotton dress with 1/2 sleeves (elbow). She's at that awkward place were her top doesn't fill out anything in juniors, and misses looks too old, but girls aren't long enough for her torso. At any rate, she got a dress that she doesn't hate, and she'll wear it for the funerals (likely a 3rd one coming up in the next few weeks), and if she doesn't wear it again, good thing it was cheap!

BunnyBee
08-04-2017, 10:21 AM
Adults didn't wear black dresses to the last funerals I attended. Just something nice and neat is fine. No need to buy anything new.