PDA

View Full Version : I need a classic written by a woman that isn't 400+ pages long

chlobo
08-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Does anyone have a favorite, classic book that was written by a woman but not really, really long?

Or a good book with a black and white cover?

123LuckyMom
08-06-2017, 08:51 AM
Not sure why you're looking, since a black and white cover would fit the bill, but most classics written by women aren't terribly long. Some authors: Jane Austen, George Elliot (not Middlemarch, which is long), any of the Brontes, Edith Wharton, Toni Morrison....

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

legaleagle
08-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Persuasion - Jane Austen - quite a bit shorter than some of the others and my personal favorite

legaleagle
08-06-2017, 08:53 AM
Kind of depends what you mean by classic though!

TwinFoxes
08-06-2017, 09:50 AM
"To Kill a Mockingbird" is less than 400 pages and you can probably find a cover that's black and white, or close. "The Color Purple" isn't very long, I'm sure it's less than 400 pages, probably closer to 300, but probably you won't find it with a black and white cover (when purple is in the name...). Most Jane Austen books are pretty short. 400+ is fairly long for a novel, you'd probably have a tougher time finding a "classic" by a woman that's more than 400 pages.

AnnieW625
08-06-2017, 10:28 AM
The Buccaneers by Edith Wharton; no idea if the cover is black or white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indianamom2
08-06-2017, 02:59 PM
What about The Secret Garden or Anne of Green Gables?

rlu
08-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Earthsea, but I haven't read it in a long long time. 320 pages per amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Earthsea-Cycle/dp/0547773749/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502053480&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=earthseea

I read your request to be either/or not both. My copy of the Earthsea series is pale blue.

chlobo
08-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Black and white cover is separate from the women's classic.

DietCokeLover
08-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Little Women
A Wrinkle in Time

California
08-06-2017, 09:19 PM
The Vagabond by Colette

Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier may be a little over your page count but I personally find it a quick read as it's intriguing.

ett
08-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Edith Wharton (Ethan Frome, Age of Innocence)?

daisyd
08-06-2017, 09:58 PM
How about Heidi? There's also Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre.

AnnieW625
08-07-2017, 12:14 AM
I had forgotten that Rebecca was 416 pages (I just looked it up).

What about Georgette Heyer or Agatha Christie?

klwa
08-07-2017, 08:10 AM
I think you've gotten some good ones. Pride & Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, etc. One I haven't seen mentioned is An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott. I always loved that one even more than Little Women. In more kid oriented books, maybe Hitty, Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field.

nfceagles
08-07-2017, 12:34 PM
I can't help but be curious as to why you are looking for these two types of books.

Pear
08-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Frankenstein

dogmom
08-08-2017, 10:03 AM
Please define "classic" is that an era, a great book as acknowled over time?
For the later I always recommend "Burger's Daughter" by Nadine Gordimer.

chlobo
08-08-2017, 11:02 AM
My library does book bingo over the summer. They have a category for adults and if you get a blackout (entire board) you get 6 entries into a drawing for gift certificates to local restaurants.

They don't define classic so I'm assuming I can define however I want.

lizzywednesday
08-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Frankenstein, or, the Modern Prometheus is under 200pp, was written by Mary Shelley, and turns 200 next year.

It's certainly a classic and raises interesting questions of science, faith, technology, and morality if you're looking to do a book-club discussion.

ETA: Slate's Future Tense (run in conjunction with New America at ASU) ran a series about Frankenstein and what it can teach us back in January; this is one of the pieces they ran: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2017/01/why_frankenstein_is_still_relevant_almost_200_year s_after_it_was_published.html (the others are linked in the sidebar, or you can access the entire series by clicking on the "Futurology" logo and then expanding January's series.)

ETA2: The Giver's original cover is black-and-white; so is the original cover for The Alienist (there may be a TV tie-in, but maybe it's too early for that.)

rlu
08-08-2017, 01:11 PM
My library does book bingo over the summer. They have a category for adults and if you get a blackout (entire board) you get 6 entries into a drawing for gift certificates to local restaurants.

They don't define classic so I'm assuming I can define however I want.

I did that one year, makes total sense. I agree, use your own definitions. Ours was online and we had to enter the book title, author and a short review.

Frankenstein, or, the Modern Prometheus is under 200pp, was written by Mary Shelley, and turns 200 next year.

It's certainly a classic and raises interesting questions of science, faith, technology, and morality if you're looking to do a book-club discussion.

ETA: Slate's Future Tense (run in conjunction with New America at ASU) ran a series about Frankenstein and what it can teach us back in January; this is one of the pieces they ran: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2017/01/why_frankenstein_is_still_relevant_almost_200_year s_after_it_was_published.html (the others are linked in the sidebar, or you can access the entire series by clicking on the "Futurology" logo and then expanding January's series.)

I've considered Frankenstein for our book club. I've never read it fearing it would be depressing. Thanks for the info!

lizzywednesday
08-08-2017, 01:18 PM
I've considered Frankenstein for our book club. I've never read it fearing it would be depressing. Thanks for the info!

It's got elements that are certainly somber, but not necessarily depressing. It has a lot going for it, though the style takes some getting used to - the framing devices are related to the epistolary and flashback narrative forms, for example - but it's short and packs quite a lot into its 256 pages!!

That it's still relevant and resonant in many ways makes it a classic in my eyes.

davidrgraham
08-09-2017, 10:58 AM
You're choosing a book to read based on whether it's written by a man or a woman? By page count (word count would make more sense, though not much)? By colors on the cover? ?????????

If you're bent on reading a book written by a woman - one that probably isn't on anyone's radar here, a recent book that is not likely to be classified as a classic, but I'd say is just as worthy as any that are - how about Inside Out and Back Again, by Thanh Ha Lai. Beautiful book.

rlu
08-09-2017, 02:01 PM
You're choosing a book to read based on whether it's written by a man or a woman? By page count (word count would make more sense, though not much)? By colors on the cover? ?????????

If you're bent on reading a book written by a woman - one that probably isn't on anyone's radar here, a recent book that is not likely to be classified as a classic, but I'd say is just as worthy as any that are - how about Inside Out and Back Again, by Thanh Ha Lai. Beautiful book.

My son (and I) read that one for his reading merit badge (they had to read different categories of books), per my sister's recommendation (she's a school librarian and the teachers at her middle school teach it).

Picking books by categories is common for library bingo - the idea is to encourage people to read books they might not otherwise read. When I played one category was manga. I had actually explored manga in general when DS was little as a way to draw him into reading more, but I bet many people shied away from the category thinking it was just for kids.

AnnieW625
08-09-2017, 09:30 PM

It is part of a contest for her library.

noodle
08-09-2017, 10:55 PM
Awesome book with a black and white cover: Citizen: An American Lyric by Claudia Rankine.

I wish my library would do bingo....

klwa
08-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Black & White cover could be Miss peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, at least with the original cover art. Although, it's up close to the 400 pages.... https://www.amazon.com/Miss-Peregrines-Home-Peculiar-Children/dp/1594746036

MontrealMum
08-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Black and white cover:
A Monster Calls
Noughts & Crosses
The Face on the Milk Carton (most recent edition)

Crossover (with some orange)
Booked (with some green)