PDA

View Full Version : Dh getting sores inside his nose nonstop. Any experience with this?

gatorsmom
08-06-2017, 10:55 AM
First let me say that Dh is taking a drug that suppresses his immune system. He has been taking Embrel for years to help with his rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis. For the past 6 months he has been struggling with sores in his nose. He said at first he just thought he was having lots of ingrown hairs but at this point it's been going on nonstop for 6 months and we think something else is the cause. He doesn't have herpes which I have read can cause nose sores. He said they will get sore and swollen inside of his nose and if he leaves them alone or puts some neosporin on them they will go away but a new one will pop up a few days later. While he was on a business trip he said he had one that was so sore he couldn't touch it and it erupted through the top of his nose and then healed up on its own without any intervention from him. I haven't seen anything, other than at times his nose appears slightly red and puffy. His dermatologist gave him steroid ointment to dot on them but didn't have many answers. He sees a dermatologist regularly because he has a ton of freckles and has spots of skin cancer removed occasionally.

Anyone have experience with this or thoughts what could be causing this?

mackmama
08-06-2017, 11:12 AM
DH gets these nose sores occasionally. Is the sore always in the same spot inside the nose? Did the derm swab the sore? If not go back to the derm and ask them to swab it so you know what it is. Could be herpes you never know. Could also be MRSA. Could also be an infected follicle that could then be removed. Swabbing will give you an answer so you then know how to treat it.

candaceb
08-06-2017, 12:24 PM
MRSA is my first thought and I have RA and am on Enbrel. I've been fighting MRSA off and on for years - knock on wood, I haven't had it for quite a while now. He should go to the dr and get a nose swab done.

I also sometimes get non-MRSA sores on the inside of my nose after I have a cold. After googling a couple of years ago, I discovered that lansinoh ointment - for breastfeeding - is the key to getting them healed up. I put some in my nose with a q-tip before bed for a couple of nights in a row and they go away.

zukeypur
08-06-2017, 07:53 PM
If not MRSA, a staph infection. I would encourage him to get it cultured to see if it's just staph or MRSA. Many people carry staph in their noses, so I think makes sense that it would cause problems for him when it wouldn't for someone who is not immune compromised.

BDKmom
08-06-2017, 08:53 PM
If not MRSA, a staph infection. I would encourage him to get it cultured to see if it's just staph or MRSA. Many people carry staph in their noses, so I think makes sense that it would cause problems for him when it wouldn't for someone who is not immune compromised.

I agree with possible staph. My BIL had this issue a few years ago and that's what it was.

okinawama
08-06-2017, 09:49 PM
Agreeing with all of those suggesting MRSA. My entire family was treated with an antibiotic cream in the nose when we were dealing with reoccurring MRSA infections.

NCGrandma
08-06-2017, 09:58 PM

Definitely agree with getting this cultured, and a reminder that MRSA *is* staph, just a particularly nasty form. (For the nerds among us, MRSA refers to methicillin resistant staph aureus.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)