PDA

View Full Version : 12 year old girls birthday party

khalloc
08-07-2017, 10:25 AM
DD is turning 12 right after Halloween. I need to give her a good party this year because last year we skipped a party since DH was out of the country traveling, and the year before that she didnt have one either! I have no idea what she will want to do. Maybe a sleepover? Maybe a movie party? Do 12 year old girls like trampoline parties? I guess I should ask her. She will be in 6th grade. She's supposed to be getting a cell phone (she wants whatever the new iPhone is), so if I am springing for that, (hopefully a joint present with her grandparents too), I dont want to spend a load of money on a birthday party as well. So something fun at home would be good. Maybe a spa-sleepover? I have no clue. Just want to get a handle on this before it creeps up on me.

khalloc
08-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Opps. Can someone please move this to the LOUNGE?

newnana
08-07-2017, 11:21 AM
All great ideas. We love home parties, theme all depends on the birthday girl's interests and those of her guests. DD is super sensitive to what she likes to do and what her friends want/like and loves to help plan the party activities, maybe let your DD help plan?

We did a small sleepover at that age. Because a lot of the girls didn't know each other and DH was out of town, I went with a theme to keep them occupied = cut down on the drama. The wisdom of the BBB helped me plan. A spa one would be great, especially if they can make some stuff, too. If you pick this theme, we can help you find spa crafts for good prices.

We did a little scavenger hunt to match the theme. Outside run around time before pizza was good.

I bought a bunch of makeup at the Dollar tree so they could each have their own (eww). We spread out plastic tablecloths in the living room so I wasn't worried about them painting their nails on the carpet.

pizza, movie, let them decorate cupcakes or cookies to fill time and have fun if you aren't planning on making a cake.

There were a couple of girls with commitments the next day that couldn't sleep over, so they did the sleep under thing and I called their moms right as the girls were PJ'ing/starting the movie so it worked out great.

essnce629
08-07-2017, 02:50 PM
I'd just ask her what she wants to do. DS1 is 13 and has only wanted a sleepover with the same 5 friends for the past 3 years. He wants the same for his birthday in 3 weeks.

Since I have boys though I don't like them in the house destroying everything! We usually take them out to do something for a few hours (usually laser tag) before heading back home for dinner and dessert. And then they all sleep in a giant tent in our backyard! The less kids inside my house the better! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

corrie23
08-08-2017, 12:08 PM
My daughter turned 11 in May. She also wanted (and received an iPhone).

I was taking my licensing exam (after MONTHS of studying) three days after her birthday so party planning got delayed, and then she wasn't sure if she wanted a party, what kind, blah blah blah and suddenly 3 months had gone by (oops). I wanted to avoid a sleepover so we invited 6 girls for an afternoon/evening "hang." My daughter wanted to have a water balloon fight, make slime, decorate cupcakes, eat pizza, and watch a movie. Then it looked like due to summer conflicts, only 2 girls could attend. My daughter was depressed and asked if we could do a sleepover since it was only 2 girls. I agreed. Then the day before the party, 2 of the other girls were available, but it had already become a sleepover and there was no turning back so here's what we did (and my daughter said it was her best birthday ever).

We had the girls arrive at 4:30pm. Around 5:00 we prepped for a water balloon fight in the front yard (most of the girls had brought swimsuits, some stayed in their clothes). We used those water balloons that attach to the hose in bunches and inflate a ton of balloons all at once.

While my husband oversaw that water balloon fights, I went to the backyard and set up for slime making on the patio table. I printed out a recipe for each girl to make slime. Each one had a different recipe. I looked on Pinterest for recipes for fluffy slime, glitter slime, clear slime, etc. I loaded the table up with clear glue, school glue, glitter glue, contact solution, baking soda, shaving cream, glitter, food coloring, water, bowls, measuring cups/spoons, etc. When the girls were done with the water balloon fight, they each picked a seat and started making their slime. They had a ton of fun with this. It was a little chaotic and very messy; glad that we did it outside. I had given them each a magnetic tin (got in 2-packs at the dollar store) that they could put their finished slime in and could attach to their locker door once they start 6th grade this month. They all traded portions of their slime, and we put the overflow in Ziploc bags for them to take home. They played with their slime periodically all throughout the rest of the party.

Then they opened presents while I made popcorn and they all changed into PJs and curled up on the couch to watch Moana. I ordered pizza and we took a mid-movie pizza break. While they finished the movie, my husband and I went out to the backyard and set up our giant 10-person tent (that my daughter had asked for last year for her birthday). The five girls brought all their things out to the tent and got set up and then we had cupcakes/sang happy birthday. Around 10:00 the girls got ready for bed and went out to the tent. We periodically heard them coming in/out of the house until around midnight when I fell asleep. (Note, my daughter usually goes to sleep around 8:30).

(and here is the part why I didn't want to do a sleepover for this age group; they DO NOT SLEEP) Around 5 am I heard the dog was howling because the girls were downstairs with the lights/tv on. As I learned later, all but one of them had NEVER fallen asleep. I took away all of their phones and sent them back to the tent where they fell asleep until about 8am. Once they were all up, I fed them a breakfast buffet (scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit, and chocolate croissants from Trader Joe's that I had baked that morning). They all loved the breakfast. They hung out watching TV and getting packed up and then parents picked up around 10am.

In all, I felt badly for the severe lack of sleep that the girls had, but they had a really good time and my daughter loved it. We lucked out with the weather and the ability to have them do activities outside/sleep in the tent. It was a nice chance for my husband to get to know some of my daughter's friends better (we moved into the school 2 years ago and are still getting to know many of the peers/families).

momof2girls
08-08-2017, 12:55 PM
For DD1 all she wanted was to go to the mall with her friends. So I took them there and they spent the day. All I did was buy them lunch.
DD2 had an escape room party at an escape room nearby. Also very easy.

georgiegirl
08-08-2017, 03:31 PM
DD (11) is going to a 12th birthday party next week (twins), and they are doing pottery painting then a sleepover.

Escape room parties are also very fun, but they can be pricey for a large group. DD went to one of those a few months ago. She's also been ice skating for another party.

DD did a glass fusion party (at a pottery painting place) this past year (when she turned 11), and all the girls loved it. They made small bowls and earrings or a pendant. It was reasonable ($18 per kid, which obviously included a favor) plus I could bring in my own cake, snacks, and drinks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oneplustwo
08-08-2017, 06:53 PM
At that age, she likely will have very specific ideas of what she wants. Definitely ask her! if she likes going to the mall, a scavenger hunt at a mall can be fun. Lots of girls that age just want a sleepover party with friends, then you can add in some activities related to an interest she has or a theme she picks (favorite movie or TV show, spa/makeup stuff, crafts, baking, etc). If you want to go fancy (and $$), book a couple hotel rooms where you sleep in one room and the girls sleep in the other. a hotel with a pool, order in pizza, watch movies in the room, and you're done. Loads of fun for the girls and especially nice in wintertime but of course not the route to go if you want inexpensive.