PDA

View Full Version : Tech question: Does this exist?

Smillow
08-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Is there some sort of wireless hard drive that would automatically upload all pictures and videos from our phones and iPads without us having to do anything? It would just sit there and we could access the pictures when at home from all our devices? Anyone have this sort of set up at home? Recommendations? What is it called? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Globetrotter
08-07-2017, 02:35 PM
iCloud? Not exactly what you're asking for but it seems to fulfill that function.
I have linked our devices so anything that shows up on one shows up on all, including the computer. However, to conserve storage space, they are stored in a lower resolution. If you click on them, you can see them in full res.
If you delete from one device it does get deleted from all but this is the closest thing to what you're asking, as far as I know. Guessing there's probably something like this for android devices. Not sure if google photos fulfills that function. I have millions of pictures so I pay for the biggest plan. It's really nice though because I basically have all my pictures in the palm of my hand. Most people probably don't care enough to do this but, for me, it is meaningful.
I also have a DSLR and got a wired device that allows me to transfer my photos from that to my iPad while we're on vacation, so that was a nice way to back up my photos and now they are already downloaded into the cloud.

Smillow
08-07-2017, 02:53 PM
I'm not looking for a cloud based system. Thanks.

mom2khj
08-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Use this hard drive and the Plex app:

https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-pro.html

https://www.plex.tv/features/photos/

Smillow
08-07-2017, 03:11 PM
Mom2khj, would that hard drive work even if I don't want it to be portable? I'd like it to live right next to my wireless router....

jgenie
08-07-2017, 03:37 PM
iCloud? Not exactly what you're asking for but it seems to fulfill that function.
I have linked our devices so anything that shows up on one shows up on all, including the computer. However, to conserve storage space, they are stored in a lower resolution. If you click on them, you can see them in full res.
If you delete from one device it does get deleted from all but this is the closest thing to what you're asking, as far as I know. Guessing there's probably something like this for android devices. Not sure if google photos fulfills that function. I have millions of pictures so I pay for the biggest plan. It's really nice though because I basically have all my pictures in the palm of my hand. Most people probably don't care enough to do this but, for me, it is meaningful.
I also have a DSLR and got a wired device that allows me to transfer my photos from that to my iPad while we're on vacation, so that was a nice way to back up my photos and now they are already downloaded into the cloud.

Would you mind linking to the wired device you bought for your DSLR pics please? TIA

Kindra178
08-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Google photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

khm
08-07-2017, 10:47 PM
I've had 2 separate hard drives crap out over that past 18 months. The first was a network storage device attached to our modem (Buffalo NAS). It died and I replaced it with a new one. About a year later the piggy back usb drive that was attached also died.

But I also don't entirely trust the cloud so..... I guess I continue to do both. (I do a combo of OneDrive from Microsoft and Google drive/photo.

mom_hanna
08-07-2017, 11:15 PM
We use Apple AirPort Time Capsule with our Macs. It can also serve as your router if the one you have craps out on you at some point. It is wireless and you can set up your computer to automatically back up to the time capsule. If you back up your iPad and iPhones to a Mac, and the Mac automatically backs up to the time capsule, everything will be on the time capsule. But that's probably a bit more convoluted than you're looking for.
Nevermind. I don't think you can access the photos on your iPhones from the time capsule.

mom_hanna
08-07-2017, 11:24 PM
How about this?? It sounds like what you are looking for...

Seagate Wireless Plus

$176
Prime
Buy from Amazon
For most people, the best external hard drive for the iPad is the Seagate Wireless Plus. Offering 1 TB of storage, the Wireless Plus is a USB 3 external drive, which means you can hook it up to a PC with a USB 3 slot and transfer data much faster than normal external drives. But the biggest feature for the iPad is the ability to connect via WiFi. And because WiFi is built into the drive, you don't need an Internet connection to use it. The iPad and drive communicate by creating their own WiFi network. The Wireless Plus also supports AirPlay, which means you can stream media to your Apple TV.

The free Seagate Media app is used to connect and communicate with the drive, allowing you to stream your media library, view photo albums or read documents. You can also transfer photos and videos from your iPad to the Wireless Plus, freeing up precious storage space on your iPad.

The Wireless Plus replaces the GoFlex Satellite in Seagate's lineup. While the GoFlex Satellite doesn't allow you to upload files from your iPad, it's a cheaper alternative to the Wireless Plus. However, because it is no longer being manufactured, it may be more difficult to find in store or online.

Globetrotter
08-08-2017, 12:11 AM
ETA: I thought I was responding directly to a quote from PP who asked how I connected my camera to my iPad.
I have this, but I got it a few years ago and there may be a better option now. I don't remember paying this much. Next time I would get one that links to my iPhone since I have a lot of storage space on my iPhone, plus data. My iPad only runs on Wi-Fi to link to the cloud and it's very slow. But it did the job… The photos transferred really fast when I linked it directly to the camera, versus using an SD card. Both connectors come in the set.
Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit: MC531ZM/A (MC531ZM/A) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RV3N1C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NJtIzb1HGNTEJ

mom2khj
08-08-2017, 12:33 PM
Mom2khj, would that hard drive work even if I don't want it to be portable? I'd like it to live right next to my wireless router....

Yes. I have one and do not bring it with me anywhere. It currently sits on the desk in our office, connected all the time. It was my original intention to bring it with me for travel soccer tournaments, but so far haven't needed to.

You could also update your router to one that supports Plex and allows you to connect a hard drive to a USB port. We have a Netgear router that I think can do this.

lizzywednesday
08-08-2017, 12:56 PM
I use WiFi to synch my phone with Google Photos and iCloud.

Smillow
08-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Thanks all! For now I'm trying google photo. I think I'll look for a hard drive around Black Friday to see if I can find a deal:) Has anyone ever had trouble with cloud based storage?