PDA

View Full Version : Soccer goalie gear for kids

khalloc
08-08-2017, 02:08 PM
DS is wicked into playing goalkeeper. Last year he slid to block a goal and ended up with a huge round sore on his upper thigh. He bruised it and the top layer of skin was taken off. What do most kids wear to prevent this? I have seen something like leggings or padded shorts? Its almost soccer season again so I want to get him whatever he needs to protect himself.

Also, any good suggestions for goalie gloves? He had a pair of Adidas ones that I bought off Amazon for like $25 but he's only been using them for play and not actual games and he has already worn them down quite a bit. Is there something better out there? Or you just need to resolve to buy a pair every few months?

Philly Mom
08-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Do you have a local soccer store? I would go there. I was a goalie. I think padded shorts are good. Good gloves are important but more important is to have two pairs so you can alternate between them especially if they get wet.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
08-08-2017, 02:21 PM
We've had both Adidas & Nike brand keeper gloves. My 13 yr old fills in on his team sometimes. He has a shirt also it has padded elbows but has never had issues wearing just his shorts. I run his gloves through the wash because the STINK after a while.

bcafe
08-08-2017, 07:37 PM
We have both the padded shorts and padded pants along with a padded jersey (arms). Keeper gloves will get pretty beaten up if they are used for both practices and games. It also makes a difference if you are playing on turf or grass. DS likes the keeper gloves with the "finger save". Epicsports.com has pretty good prices on keeper gear and they have quick shipping. Don't forget to measure his hand before purchasing the gloves.

Cam&Clay
08-08-2017, 08:24 PM
DS1 had sores in those exact spots. He would wear holes in his keeper shorts and pants. He always wore boxer briefs, padded compression shorts, and then either padded keeper shorts or pants, depending on the weather.

Keeper gloves vary in price. He insisted on having one pair for games and one for practice and then the new ones would replace the game ones and the old practice ones were thrown out. When he was younger, we usually did Adidas with the finger saves. Now we pay easily $150 or more for new gloves. No matter how expensive they are, however, they all stink. We don't allow cleats or gloves in the house. We have tried washing but the expensive ones lose their stickiness if they are washed. Right now he's figuring out how he's going to store his equipment in his dorm room without making his roommate hate him!

Robyn0204
08-08-2017, 10:07 PM
I know they make actual keeper shorts/pants but I ended up buying my son some baseball sliding shorts and he wears them underneath his uniform shorts. He used to get something similar to road rash on his upper thighs and this fixed that problem but we didn't have a soccer store nearby just a regular sports store and that is all I could find.

khalloc
08-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Wow. I have alot to learn! He's at a goalkeeper clinic camp thru TetraBrazil/Challenger Sports this week. The coaches told them to wear long sleeves and long pants or tall socks. I didnt realize they made padded shirts! I dont know of a soccer store, but we have a Dicks Sporting Goods, or maybe I could purchase something online.

We do have the Adidas Fingersave gloves right now, but he already wants a new pair. Was hoping to find something reasonable that might be better quality?

His Brazilian coach yesterday pulled me aside and asked how long DS had been doing goalkeeper and I told him he just started getting interested in it about 6 months ago. The coach said he was really good and he wished he lived around here so he could coach him this year! Then he recommended that we get him a goalkeeper coach. He just plays on the local league right now and we dont pay alot for that. like $120 a season or so. I'm not really prepared to pay the money for a private league (someone told me $1500/year around here). I know thats cheap compared to some places but its expensive to me when now I am paying maybe $250/year tops.

I could try to get him some private lessons I guess? Our local town league doesnt have a coach specific to goalkeeping.

Cam&Clay
08-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Wow. I have alot to learn! He's at a goalkeeper clinic camp thru TetraBrazil/Challenger Sports this week. The coaches told them to wear long sleeves and long pants or tall socks. I didnt realize they made padded shirts! I dont know of a soccer store, but we have a Dicks Sporting Goods, or maybe I could purchase something online.

We do have the Adidas Fingersave gloves right now, but he already wants a new pair. Was hoping to find something reasonable that might be better quality?

His Brazilian coach yesterday pulled me aside and asked how long DS had been doing goalkeeper and I told him he just started getting interested in it about 6 months ago. The coach said he was really good and he wished he lived around here so he could coach him this year! Then he recommended that we get him a goalkeeper coach. He just plays on the local league right now and we dont pay alot for that. like $120 a season or so. I'm not really prepared to pay the money for a private league (someone told me $1500/year around here). I know thats cheap compared to some places but its expensive to me when now I am paying maybe $250/year tops.

I could try to get him some private lessons I guess? Our local town league doesnt have a coach specific to goalkeeping.

DS1 does private coaching for young keepers at $25 (small group) to $35 (individual) an hour. Maybe see if you have any teenagers who would be willing to work with him?

JBaxter
08-09-2017, 11:35 AM

What age group does he play? Goalies are at a premium around here you should investigate your club teams some have scholarships and if they need positions bad enough they make things happen. Good goalies sometimes make or break a team.

bcafe
08-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Our club has a dedicated keeper coach so if you call or ask around, perhaps a club team will give you a name. Our keeper coach gives private lessons.