PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk lunch box containers again?

calebsmama03
08-10-2017, 12:03 AM
We've been using Easy Lunchboxes for DS1 and DD for a few years now (prior to that was "laptop lunch system" but now we pack several days at once). We've had several crack/wear out and DS2 is starting full day school :( so I need to add more to my stash. Wondering if there is anything else new and better out there? We pack lunches for the week on Sunday evening so I need multiples for each child thus something that costs $20 each is not going to fly. ;) We've been mainly happy with the ELB's. My main complaint is that since they don't seal airtight things can get a little stale or dried out by the later days if we don't plan carefully. Considering the rubbermaid Lunchblox but concerned about all the pieces getting lost. Would ideally love to find something similar to ELB with compartments and ONE lid but that is more airtight but am open to suggestions!

carolinacool
08-10-2017, 01:08 AM
Ziploc has resumed selling a rectangular divided container that looks pretty identical to the ELB. I saw it mentioned a few times on BBB a couple of years ago when I was looking for a solution for my then-kindergartner. But I think it just been discontinued. I picked up a pack at target a couple of months ago, but I haven't had to use it yet because I've been using other things for summer camp. But I think the lids supposedly fit better than the ELB.

sariana
08-10-2017, 03:24 AM
Not familiar with ELB, but we liked the old Ziploc divided containers. They had 3 compartments, and the lid was airtight. If the new version is similar, it may work for you. They used to come in 2 packs for around $5.

AnnieW625
08-10-2017, 09:51 AM
I bought 6 or 8 Easy Lunch Boxes three years ago when the Ziploc containers were discontinued and we have been very happy with the ELB. We will most likely have to buy more this year as the ELBs are just starting to crack, but I will ask DH which ones he prefers and buy those. We still have one or two of the original Ziploc containers as well so those are at least 4 yrs. old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

123LuckyMom
08-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Yes!!! The divided ziplocs are back, and they are fantastic!!! I had to order mine over the Target app and pick up in the stores, but they're inexpensive, and they don't leak. Each section is self-contained, so the compartments don't leak into each other, either. I frequently give my children things like mandarin oranges, strawberries, watermelon, yogurt-- stuff that's liquidy and leaky, and the only time it makes a mess is if a child is careless putting the lid back on. I highly recommend them!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

umsh
08-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Thank you all for letting us know the divided Ziplocs are back! Perfect timing with all 3 kids in school!

calebsmama03
08-10-2017, 12:12 PM
EXCELLENT! I'm so glad I asked. So the Ziploc ones are decent quality now? Supposedly the older Ziploc style ones were flimsy and warped or wore out after a few months? We've had the original ELBs for 3 years and then added a few more last year after a few cracked or got lost. The newer ones are even sturdier than the older ones- seems to be a slightly different material in the plastic? I love how sturdy and cheap they are but I hate that I can't put anything even slightly wet in there.

Granted this is ON the ELB site but this was why I didn't buy the ziplocs initially. The difference is pretty obvious. I don't understand why the ELB lady hasn't taken the best of both worlds and made hers leakproof?! http://www.easylunchboxes.com/blog/how-do-ziploc-3-compartment-lunch-containers-compare-to-easylunchboxes/

Dream
08-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Are the ELB sections sealed from other compartments? I want the individual compartment to be sealed so any liquid would not mix with other compartments. There's a bento leakproof box that does this which I'm considering.

calebsmama03
08-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Are the ELB sections sealed from other compartments? I want the individual compartment to be sealed so any liquid would not mix with other compartments. There's a bento leakproof box that does this which I'm considering.

The compartments are separated but the lids do not fit airtight so wet stuff does leak in the ELB. That's why I'm looking at other things.

AnnieW625
08-10-2017, 01:03 PM
I found the original Ziploc containers to be very sturdy and they lasted a good long time before having to replace them. I can only see the Ziploc ones warping really bad if you washed them on the bottom rack of the dishwasher. DH also puts them in the dishwasher all the time on the top rack so I was happy with how well they held up. Other than hummus we don't put any liquids in the elbs or Ziploc containers. We just send yogurt, and apple sauce in individual containers. Leaving it up to DH to determine if we buy more Ziploc or ELBS.

bisous
08-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Having had both containers, ELB and Ziplock, I prefer the Ziplock for a few reasons. They are cheaper and the lids stay on! The ELB DO feel like they're nicer plastic and part of me really likes that but ours didn't actually last much longer at all. We had breakage with both systems.

erv917
08-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Having had both containers, ELB and Ziplock, I prefer the Ziplock for a few reasons. They are cheaper and the lids stay on! The ELB DO feel like they're nicer plastic and part of me really likes that but ours didn't actually last much longer at all. We had breakage with both systems.

:yeahthat: Exactly what I would have said!

calebsmama03
08-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Thank you! Heading to target now so will look!

Kindra178
08-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Absent a mason jar, I think lunch foods like sandwiches and crackers will get stale 2-3 from after you make it.

123LuckyMom
08-10-2017, 04:30 PM
My ziplocs lasted 3 years, plus. I bought four when DS entered Kindergarten, and I had two left now that he's starting 3rd grade. Unfortunately, one was destroyed by being left in a driveway during the first week of camp. The last survivor is still in the rotation, but a few weeks ago I was able to buy more! I was starting to panic because DD is going into K this year, and I needed more containers. I was getting ready to buy another yumbox, but I far prefer the ziplocs. I do hand wash them as I do most plastics. The new ones seem the same as the old ones to me.

calebsmama03
08-10-2017, 06:04 PM
I just got back from Target and bought 2 packs to add to our rotation. I don't like how flimsy they feel but I also usually wash plastics like this by hand so we'll see. They do seem like they will crack in the area between the large and small container areas but if so they were cheap and I'll go back to ELB.

AnnieW625
08-10-2017, 06:26 PM
I just got back from Target and bought 2 packs to add to our rotation. I don't like how flimsy they feel but I also usually wash plastics like this by hand so we'll see. They do seem like they will crack in the area between the large and small container areas but if so they were cheap and I'll go back to ELB.

Mine have only ever cracked in the lid and that is on the side of the container.

AlbrightRC
08-10-2017, 06:36 PM
We love our lunchblox..I have a couple sets (1 child) so that I don't have to wash them everyday. Sometimes they get washed by hand sometimes dishwasher just depends on if I need them before the dishwasher is ready to be run. I see that Rubbermaid came out with a lunch set in their brilliance line and i'm tempted to get them because I love my other Rubbermaid brilliance storage containers. however i'm afraid my husband might kill me if I bring more lunch containers into this house haha

mackmama
08-10-2017, 08:52 PM
A little off topic but I am floored you can pack your lunches a week ahead and your kids will still eat the them! Don't sandwiches and stuff get mushy? Or are you just packing crackers and stuff and adding fresh items the morning of?

calebsmama03
08-10-2017, 10:22 PM
A little off topic but I am floored you can pack your lunches a week ahead and your kids will still eat the them! Don't sandwiches and stuff get mushy? Or are you just packing crackers and stuff and adding fresh items the morning of?

Nope! Sandwiches are done Sunday night too. They don't get mushy at all. We plan it out so the more "sensitive" stuff goes to school on Monday/Tuesday and then stuff like cold pasta salad, DIY lunchables, leftover homemade pizza, etc for the later days. They usually get hot lunch (pizza) on Friday or take a hot thermos lunch on Friday. We add things like crackers, cookies, etc the morning of, but everything else goes in Sunday night. The main dish/protein, veggies (baby carrots, snap peas, celery sticks, etc), and fruit (generally whole fruit- small size apples, "cuties", grapes, strawberries, kiwi, etc.) This year will be trickier because my little guy is a picky pants and this is his first year in all day school so my system may be upended a little, but I'm going to try to press on!

ETA: A trick for PBJ type sandwiches is to spread a thin layer of nut butter on both slices then the more watery jelly on top of the nut butter. That way it doesn't soak into the bread. My kids don't prefer tomatoes, lettuce, etc on their meat or cheese sandwiches so it stays fine.
Some info on pack ahead lunches
http://www.easylunchboxes.com/blog/make-lunch-for-the-week-pack-ahead-and-save-time/

And I love this blog for ideas on pack ahead stuff https://www.whatlisacooks.com/blog/2016/1/11/make-ahead-school-lunches

Pear
08-11-2017, 08:43 AM
We use the Rubbermaid and also pack on sundays. Some assorted pieces have been lost over time, but it hasn't been too much of an issue because everything works with everything. We also supplement with a set of silicone muffin cups to subdivide when needed

anonomom
08-11-2017, 08:43 AM
I know you've already found the Ziplocks, but I have to add a plug for my favorite lunch boxes of all:

https://www.amazon.com/LOCK-Airtight-Container-Removable-29-41-oz/dp/B000SIPNME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502455215&sr=8-1&keywords=lock+and+lock+divided+square

They're cheap as heck and last forever. I have 3 of them, all at least 5 years old, all of which have been used at least 2-3x a week during each of those 5 years, and they still look great. The dividers aren't airtight -- wet foods will leak onto drier ones -- but when I want to send something wet, I either use a silicone muffin cup over top of that square or use our lunchblox (which I also love).

Dream
08-11-2017, 12:42 PM
The compartments are separated but the lids do not fit airtight so wet stuff does leak in the ELB. That's why I'm looking at other things.

Thanks. I came across these on Amazon and apparently they're sealed, leak proof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GSVR2V4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A13TIIYLCDJ0YT&psc=1