PDA

View Full Version : Dust!!!

niccig
08-10-2017, 03:44 AM
Maybe we just live in extra dusty area? I dusted last Thursday just before family visited, and I did it again today. There's a layer on top of toilet tank that I have to dust before I can wipe it clean. It's only been a week! We have white trim throughout the house and there's a layer of dust on window sills and baseboards - of course new baseboards have a decorative top rather than old plain shoe molding, and dust gets stuck there.

How often is your house dusted? How can I deal with dust without having to dust every couple of days, as that's just not happening!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

gatorsmom
08-10-2017, 08:15 AM
You just did renovations to your house, didn't you? The extra dust is probably from that. It's going to be a few weeks,
maybe even a few months before the dust stops circulating and landing on everything. You may want to get your
vents blown out.

niccig
08-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Yes we finished about a month ago. I'll look at getting vents blown out and see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

Mermanaid
08-10-2017, 11:13 AM
I'd check your vents.

We have the same problem but it will be a costly fix. The house was built in 1978 so back then they just used the wall space between joists for the air returns instead of putting in piping. Really makes so much dust. So essentially we get dust from the attic coming down through the wall and out the return. Super efficient!

trales
08-10-2017, 11:16 AM
I bought vent filters at Lowes, they reduce the efficiency of my forced air system, but reduce my dust by about 75%. So, for me, the tradeoff was worth it. They are nasty after a few months. All that dust is not all over my house.

cmo
08-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Some brands of toilet paper cause a lost more dust than others! You may be able to reduce dust in your bathrooms if you switch to a less premium brand.

mackmama
08-10-2017, 12:10 PM
I bought vent filters at Lowes, they reduce the efficiency of my forced air system, but reduce my dust by about 75%. So, for me, the tradeoff was worth it. They are nasty after a few months. All that dust is not all over my house.

How do these vent filters work- Do they go on the outside or inside of a floor vent?

calebsmama03
08-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Following this. We too have horrible dust, especially around the TV area. Drives me nuts! And I totally have a MIL who notices that stuff, lives very close, and her own house is always perfectly dust free so I feel extra pressure to maintain a dust-free home! lol

trales
08-10-2017, 02:58 PM
How do these vent filters work- Do they go on the outside or inside of a floor vent?

They slip under the floor vent, between the top metal part and the moving flaps, they come in packets at lowes and you cut them to shape. They are quite amazing.

mmsmom
08-10-2017, 04:26 PM
I agree you will have dust from a renovation for a while and it is probably in your vents so a good idea to have them clean. I find my house is more dusty if we have doors/windows open. I also think it helps to vacuum up all the dust vs wiping it off. Depending on what you use it can just send dust back into the air. I use the upholstery brush to vacuum surfaces.

lurksalot
08-10-2017, 08:42 PM
We also use filters, makes a huge difference with keeping the dust at bay.

azzeps
08-10-2017, 10:29 PM
Have your duct work cleaned by a NADCA certified company. Keep your furnace filter clean - change it however often is recommended (depends on what kind of filter). Be careful putting anything over your vents. Might not only reduce efficiency, but also cause the blower to work harder and wear out sooner due to the increased pressure in the duct work.

https://nadca.com

niccig
08-10-2017, 11:09 PM
Thanks all. I'll get the vents cleaned and I'll stay in top of dust, hoping it decreases with time.