PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE IN OP: Lunchboxes for high school boys

Globetrotter
08-10-2017, 06:42 PM
update:
We chose lunchbots. Classic trio 2 and two 8 ounce round leakproof ones. It's worked out really well the last two weeks, but he likes to have a lot of different things versus one or two items. There are many different configurations, and I could add something hot in a thermos jar-apparently I haven't been using it correctly all this time because I've read that they work really well. I also got a set of three small leak proof ones for little things. I wish I had switched to lunchbots a long time ago!
they fit perfectly in the Lands end ClassMate Soft Sided Lunch Box. I got a plain black one to match his backpack, and it clips onto it. He wanted a slim lunchbox, nothing bulky.

------
It's time to move on from the laptop lunchboxes, which he has used since preschool! Can you believe it?? I'm wondering what boys take to pack high school lunches. It needs to be leakproof for sure. And reusable. Stainless steel would be a bonus. And what type of bag would they take it in? I'm assuming nothing overly colorful LOL

egoldber
08-10-2017, 07:04 PM
All the kids I see use something like this: https://www.igloocoolers.com/00059757-collapse-cool-12-tech-basic-black

SnuggleBuggles
08-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Mine just uses one like linked but smaller. Costco $13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niccig
08-11-2017, 01:32 AM
DS is going off to MS and he still uses the laptop lunchbox and it fits in a lands end lunch bag - he chose a plain black one. Not sure if he'll continue to use this, or if we're looking for something else.

Globetrotter
08-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Thanks. Looks basic lol
I don't think he'll use the laptop lunches. We have the black and red sets so it does look adult-ish, but I don't think he would do it.

essnce629
08-11-2017, 06:28 PM
DS1 used his Laptop lunch (black outer, navy inserts) through 7th grade. Then I got him a PlanetBox Launch which fit in his eBags Slim Lunch Box (black).

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/slim-lunch-box/88875

He's had the eBags lunch box forever (it fits the Laptop Lunch as well) and we needed another one but they were all sold out at the time so he has the black and gray PlanetBox lunch bag as well.

And for the days he takes a TJ's salad to school he takes this eBags lunch cooler in black (it can fit a salad and PlanetBox Shuttle).

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/lunch-cooler/19846?productid=949933

He'll continue using the PlanetBox Launch for high school.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

KrisM
08-11-2017, 07:41 PM
DS1 uses just the inserts of the Laptop Lunchbox in middle school. He has a plain black bag from LE. Seems to work so far for him.

bcafe
08-11-2017, 09:12 PM
My DD will enter HS this year. She is requesting her food in baggies and then in a plastic grocery bag. This serves a couple of purposes: easily carried since there are no lockers and quickly tossed when finished. I will most definitely respect her request.

AnnieW625
08-11-2017, 11:24 PM
My DD will enter HS this year. She is requesting her food in baggies and then in a plastic grocery bag. This serves a couple of purposes: easily carried since there are no lockers and quickly tossed when finished. I will most definitely respect her request.

These IKEA bags are awesome!
http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/80330493/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Globetrotter
08-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Niccig, how do you just use laptop inserts? Yours must have lids- I have the original version and only two of the boxes have lids.

Globetrotter
08-13-2017, 01:26 PM
I would love it if he would use a planet box. But then there's the whole teenage boy in high school thing… not sure he would be willing.

Globetrotter
08-13-2017, 01:28 PM
For days that dd couldn't access her locker, she used to take containers in a thin tote bag. It's a whole lot less bulky than a lunch bag and easy to carry.

Globetrotter
08-13-2017, 01:33 PM
I've been drooling over these stackable stainless insulated lunchboxes, and I would totally get it for DD if she still needed a lunchbox, though it won't work for DS. I wish it came in plain stainless.

https://topshelfsquare.com/products/cute-lunch-box

I'm rethinking the planet box.… He definitely likes the boxes with compartments and it's fairly simple looking.

Globetrotter
08-13-2017, 01:50 PM
DD says at her school there are a lot of Japanese kids who bring bento style lunchboxes, so it's no big deal even for the boys to bring in something like a planet box. That's a relief… Maybe I'm remembering made-for-TV high school dramas LOL

niccig
08-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Niccig, how do you just use laptop inserts? Yours must have lids- I have the original version and only two of the boxes have lids.

I have the version with only 1 box with a lid. I put anything wet in there. The 2 small containers are for snacks and I sometimes put glad press n seal on those to keep the snacks contained. The bread we use for sandwiches is too thick for the lid to close properly, so I'll use press n seal on the snack containers when he had a sandwich, and put 2 elastic bands around the container to keep it all together. It goes in a Lands End lunch bag and that keeps it all contained too.

On days he wants hot lunch in his thermos, I put snacks and fruit in smaller containers in the lands end lunch bag. We may do this if he stops wanting the laptop lunch box, or I might try the ziplock divided container

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

KrisM
08-13-2017, 04:02 PM

When we bought them, I bought an extra set so we had boxes for snacks, etc. Those all came with lids. So I have lids for the sandwich sized, longer rectangle sized, and 2 smaller containers. This was 2009 for the set that DS1 uses.

Globetrotter
09-03-2017, 02:31 PM
DS agreed to the lunchbots. His only stipulation was that it must not leak and shouldn't be too bulky. I'm planning to get a trio two divided container and a couple of leakproof ones for juicy fruits.
He doesn't want a bulky lunchbox so I'm looking into lunch sacks and I want something sturdy that will last and is machine washable. At least we're getting somewhere!