PDA

View Full Version : Should I ignore this email or respond with a "I'm sorry"?

daisyd
08-10-2017, 08:53 PM
A former colleague had emailed regarding a non-profit he was starting and asked for several hundred dollars in support of it. It felt like I was being spammed in some respects with two previous emails announcing the launch of this organization. I was a little taken aback by the amount requested and my immediate inclination was to ignore it. But I wonder if it would be kinder to respond with something like "I wish you well, good luck etc but I'm unable to make a contribution at this point". I'd thought of making a token contribution but I don't want to set a precedent for more such requests for money. WWYD? Thanks in advance

SnuggleBuggles
08-10-2017, 08:57 PM
I'd either ignore or use your wording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
08-10-2017, 09:16 PM
If this is the first request for money I think either way would be ok. If either of the other emails also asked for contributions I would send the response you wrote in your post. I would not make a token contribution, because contributions of any amount usually only result in an increase in the frequency and strength of the requests.

niccig
08-10-2017, 09:19 PM
How well do you know the person? I'd use your wording if you know them well. No response if person is more an acquaintance and this is a "email all my contacts" kind of thing.

DH got hit up by a college friend, there was a plan to set up a scholarship in name of a professor who was retiring. They asked for a few thousand each year for a few years. It's a long-term friend, but kind of clueless guy, DH laughed in response saying I don't have that kind of money to spare. Several other friends had same response. The friend was surprised that people said no, everyone was surprised he asked for such a large amount of money. Some people aren't all that aware of others and what's reasonable or not in their situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

daisyd
08-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Thanks all for weighing in. The first 2 emails did not ask for money but for time ("please take 5 minutes to fill out our survey") and goodwill ("please send this survey to your contacts in our field"). This email was sent specifically to me which is one of the reasons I hesitated about ignoring.

Nicci, thanks for sharing your husband's experience. It was not something I'd explicitly thought about, but this is definitely a clueless person.

I'll send him a quick email and hopefully he gets the message.

SnuggleBuggles
08-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Are you positive it was personal to you? Plenty of software programs out there to let things look custom.

TwinFoxes
08-10-2017, 10:39 PM
How well do you know the person? I'd use your wording if you know them well. No response if person is more an acquaintance and this is a "email all my contacts" kind of thing.

Are you positive it was personal to you? Plenty of software programs out there to let things look custom.

:yeahthat: to both.

niccig
08-10-2017, 10:48 PM
You could always ignore, then if get 2nd request, you can send an email saying no.

When DH was asked via phone, he immediately laughed and said, "I don't have that kind of money." It was going to be $20k over 5 years!! The friend asking is generally clueless and he also married into a rich family and college for their kids and their retirement is taken care of by a trust fund. Another friend replied, "I'm putting my own child through college right now, so no money for a scholarship for someone else". We didn't take offense, just wrote it off as another example of the guy's cluelessness. He was certain the 5 guys would all say yes, and had agreed to take on finding funding for the university. He was a bit miffed that people said no. So, if this colleague is clueless and probably very committed to his cause, he may not understand people saying no - be prepared for a surprised or negative reaction. You said it is a new non-profit, so as he gains experience and maybe someone in charge of fundraising, he'll become more aware who/how to solicit funds. Or maybe not!

I think if they had opened it up to more people and let people contribute what they could, they could've gotten the scholarship funded. DH said he would've contributed something, but the amount asked for was crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

HannaAddict
08-11-2017, 02:27 AM
Former colleague, ignore.

specialp
08-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Ignore.

trcy
08-11-2017, 08:38 AM
If it's someone you don't see on a regular basis, I would ignore.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

daisyd
08-11-2017, 10:09 PM
You know, I hadn't considered the fact that the email could appear customized for me by a software program!

I'm going with ignoring it. Its less messy that way.

Thanks everyone for weighing in.

khm
08-12-2017, 11:00 AM
You know, I hadn't considered the fact that the email could appear customized for me by a software program!

I'm going with ignoring it. Its less messy that way.

Thanks everyone for weighing in.

It really probably is just a modern form letter. :-) it likely went out to friends and acquaintances far and wide. Lots of them probably wrangling with what to do too. Lol.

daisyd
08-12-2017, 10:17 PM
It really probably is just a modern form letter. :-) it likely went out to friends and acquaintances far and wide. Lots of them probably wrangling with what to do too. Lol.

You're right, I wasn't the only one that got this email ... :)