PDA

View Full Version : Weird questions about pneumonia

bisous
08-11-2017, 12:24 PM
DH just got diagnosed with pneumonia again. About 2.5 years ago he got a terrible case of pneumonia that started abruptly and put him in the hospital for a few days. He wasn't even sick with a cold before he caught it. It took him weeks to recover. And honestly his lungs still bother him. He was diagnosed with asthma after the fact and he has two inhalers now, one he uses every day. Plus he started Flonase (not sure if that's related to the pneumonia though!).

So our family caught some kind of cold/fever and it is working its way through us. DS2 had it two days ago and it lasted a day. DS1 had it yesterday and he is almost recovered. It had a fever and a few cold symptoms. DH had it too except his caused pneumonia again!

How can we break this cycle? His lungs sounded bad to me on Monday. Should we have just gone in to Urgent Care right when I heard it that night? I have trust issues with other doctors! Should we have waited and tried to see his PC doctor? I feel like the protocol has got to be different for him now!

Any advice appreciated!

carolinamama
08-11-2017, 12:30 PM
I don't think your DH would be out of line to start seeing a pulmonologist to address his protocol if he isn't already.

Sending quick healing vibes for everyone involved!

MSWR0319
08-11-2017, 12:42 PM
I would definitely see a pulmonologist. My son has asthma and before we knew, he got pneumonia very easily. He is now on a daily preventative inhaler and he hasn't been sick at all since we got the dosage correct. For us, allergies and illness triggered his asthma. So as long as we keep them under control, he's good.

bisous
08-11-2017, 12:57 PM
I didn't even think of a pulmonologist. Thanks. We'll contact his PCP and Reyes a referral.

hillview
08-11-2017, 03:35 PM
I'd also ask the pulmonologist and his PCP for a plan of "when to call the doc and when to go to the ER" etc. I've asked this about DS1 (asthma) and DS2 (recent throat issues) and in both cases the doctors had a good rule for me to follow.

bisous
08-11-2017, 03:35 PM
I'd also ask the pulmonologist and his PCP for a plan of "when to call the doc and when to go to the ER" etc. I've asked this about DS1 (asthma) and DS2 (recent throat issues) and in both cases the doctors had a good rule for me to follow.

That's exactly what we need. Thanks!

doberbrat
08-11-2017, 09:04 PM

This is what we have for dd2. Its been very helpful. Even comes printed in colors - green, yellow, red.

And may I also suggest eating raw garlic. Since we started giving dd2 a 'salad dressing' made of pulverized raw garlic and ACV she's had many fewer episodes of pneumonia. (Knock Wood!!)