PDA

View Full Version : What to use on a bloody diaper rash?

boilermakermom
08-12-2017, 05:54 PM
My DS has a pretty bad diaper rash. It's raw and slightly bloody right around his anus. We are currently using a diaper rash cream with 40% zinc oxide, and Aquaphor . He screams when we put the zinc oxide on, so today has just been plain Aquaphor.

What else should we try? Triple paste? Butt Paste? Something OTC at the pharmacy?

What works the best?

carolinamama
08-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Ouch! Any chance it's yeasty? My kids usually had yeast when their diaper rashes were bad. I mixed miconazole with the zinc cream and even added hydrocortisone cream a few times at the advice of my pedi. I mixed it in a tub and made in batches big enough for a day or two.

Maybe time out of a diaper to air too.

boilermakermom
08-12-2017, 06:30 PM
I don't think it's yeasty. The skin around it is smooth, just red and irritated.

AnnieW625
08-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Butt Paste worked best for my sensitive DD1 who had really bad diaper rash. She had reactions to almost everything else including Triple Paste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala
08-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Any chance you're using a new brand of diapers or wipes? If so I'd switch back because no amount of cream will eliminate a chemical irritation. When my kids get rashy from loose stool or food sensitivity I usually have luck switching to damp washcloths vs wipes and using a zinc cream, currently Honest co.

hwin708
08-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Resinol is my go-to for clearing up a really bad case of diaper rash practically overnight. It is specifically designed for the most raw of wounds, as well.

I don't use it for mild cases, mainly because it isn't needed and comes in such a small jar. But anything a little over average, and I bust it out and clear things right up.

ArizonaGirl
08-12-2017, 10:16 PM
I would use some corn starch prior to the Aquaphor to dry out the rash. Otherwise you are trapping the moisture in there with the Aquaphor.

Tea4two
08-13-2017, 08:31 AM
Sensicare worked the best for us when my dd had terrible diaper rash. It's used in the NICU. We also stopped using wipes and used water and disposable washcloths.
I hope it clears up soon!

Sensi-Care Protective Barrier, 4 oz Tube - 1/Each https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P37AC8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_JveKzbAQ92F31

JElaineB
08-13-2017, 09:08 AM
Are you sure it's not a staph infection?

twowhat?
08-13-2017, 01:23 PM
If you've ruled out infection (yeast or whatever), the thing that helps most is NOT WIPING. Our ped said for pee, don't do anything at all - do not wipe - just take off wet diaper and put on fresh diaper. For poop, again - do not wipe! Carry the poopy butt over to a sink filled with clean warm water (and a few drops of baby shampoo if you want), and dunk that butt to rinse. pat dry around the diaper rash but don't touch the rash - let it air dry, then put on fresh diaper. Change diapers frequently to keep them dry. Just don't wipe! We've had very good luck with this, and babies are happier because it's less painful at diaper changes:) I'm a germaphobe so I filled 2 sinks for poop - one with a few drops of baby shampoo to "wash", and then the next sink over with just plain warm water to "rinse".

elizamom
08-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Calmoseptine. It's sold on amazon. Highly, highly recommend. It is a million times better than the usual creams like butt paste, etc that you find at Target.
And NO wiping. Dunk the baby's bum in a sink full of warm water when it needs cleaning. Dry with a warm/cool hair drier.

bw52
08-13-2017, 02:40 PM
After trying every diaper rash cream available (including anti fungal creams) I stopped using wipes. You can use a washcloth or soft paper towel with plain water. My LO had a horrible rash for months until I did this and then it cleared most of the way. And I bought the a and d plain preventative cream--not the zinc kind--and used it once the rash started clearing up.

My advice is to stop using wipes and give it a try. I wish I had figured it out months earlier.

pharmjenn
08-13-2017, 07:35 PM
Calmoseptine is amazing. I never needed it for DS when he was a baby, but I work in a hospital and any patient (usually the elderly) with a butt or groin rash gets Calmoseptine after bathing or after stooling. The only ones using Desitin or A&D anymore are the pediatricians for the NICU babies.
Calmoseptine is basically Desitin (zinc ozide) with menthol, so it is cooling.

Corie
08-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Calmoseptine. It's sold on amazon. Highly, highly recommend.

Yes!!

I was able to buy it at CVS. It's behind the counter in the pharmacy dept. Just ask for it. I would call before
going so you don't waste a trip.

I'd call CVS and Walgreen's.

lalasmama
08-14-2017, 12:31 AM
Another vote for calmoseptine! It's my go to diaper rash ointment for nearly everything. Bum a little pink? Calmoseptine. Ouchy bum rash? Calmoseptine. Diarrhea? Calmoseptine. Hemorrhoids? Calmoseptine. Chafed from not wiping well? Calmoseptine.

Honestly, I think Calmoseptine and Lansinoh should be in every new parent's medicine cabinet, because between the two, so many skin issues can be solved!

Pear
08-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Also get the diaper off as much as possible. We would lay Dd down on some prefolds and give her some airing out time.

AnnieW625
08-14-2017, 12:48 AM
Are you sure it's not a staph infection?

If it grows at all in size and starts looking like a bubble I would definitely have it evaluated for staph. There are photos on the net if you want to look. DD2 had it at 2/1/2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk