PDA

View Full Version : Gift for an avid knitter

*myfoursons
08-12-2017, 10:17 PM
I'm searching for a birthday present idea for my dear cousin who is a lifelong knitter. I have no idea what to get her, nice yarn? I was looking online and saw some pretty cashmere wool blends. Honestly, I'm in the dark about this, but want to get her something useful and beautiful. I'd like to spend around $150. I would appreciate any input from knitters!

ang79
08-12-2017, 11:38 PM
What about a nice knitting bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellies mom
08-13-2017, 12:13 AM
I would stay away from yarn unless you know what she likes to knit with. Although some of the handpainted variegated yarns are a work of art. The biggest problem is that what I love may not be what she loves and useful depends on what you like to knit. I would love a new set of interchangeable circular needles from Knit Picks (the blue/green ones are lovely) but you would need to know what type of needles she likes. A bag would be wonderful so would an yarn bowl. Even if she isn't the type to knit from one, they are so pretty with a thing of yarn.

If I was to recommend a yarn though based on your price range, I'd suggest a Quivet blend. It is very expensive yarn but heavenly. It would definitely be a special gift. But it comes back to what types of things she knits to determine what weight to buy and how much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mommy111
08-13-2017, 12:24 AM
Get her a gift card, honestly. As a knitter, what I would want may be very different from what you might like. And especially if you plan on spending something substantial like that, you are better off getting a gift card or a kit with a gift receipt and make it clear that you won't be offended if she returns and buys something else

elizabethkott
08-13-2017, 12:41 AM
Check out darngoodyarn.com
They have some lovely things, including a beautiful hand crafted wooden yarn bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

*myfoursons
08-13-2017, 01:17 AM
Thank you for your responses! I know the practical thing would be to get her a gift card to a local yarn store, I just hoped to find something very special to gift her. It's funny Ellie's mom mentioned quivet yarn -- while checking out etsy I fell in love with some without knowing what it was! My cousin knits lovely shawls, scarves, hats, sweaters, all kinds of things. I will definitely give this some more thought. Thanks so much for the direction.