PDA

View Full Version : Infant Self-Rescue (ISR) swim lessons

IansMom
08-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Has anyone's child had these lessons? DS2 (20 months) jumped in the pool yesterday at a friend's house and I am completely freaked out. Thankfully, he is fine. He is much more adventurous than DS1, so I have been researching options this morning. The lessons seem a bit pricey for our LCOL area but if it works, it would be worth it. I would love to hear some reviews.

trcy
08-13-2017, 06:29 PM
I know of two families that did ISR. They had good results but their DCs became terrified of water. I just started DS (21 months) in 'traditional' swimming lessons this summer and he has done great. His swim school actually starts private swimming lessons as soon as the umbilical cord falls off and group lessons at 19 months. I would find a good swim school with a good reputation over ISR.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

barkley1
08-13-2017, 07:12 PM
I did ISR with my kids as early as age 2. No, they didn't like it and yes, it was a PITA to go to swim lessons that only lasted for 10 minutes M-F for 6 weeks straight. But it was totally worth it for my peace of mind. They didn't end up hating the water at all!! We transitioned to regular swim lessons at age 4/5.

jerseygirl07067
08-16-2017, 10:51 PM
All 3 of mine did ISR. We live in FL where pools are everywhere and we have a large pond behind our house. It was a great experience, they each took about 4-5 weeks to get it and then we did a refresher the next year for a week or so, practicing with them in the summer months. Yes it's a pain to go every day for 10 mins but a lot is accomplished, and at that age (we started around 2) they are trying to help them learn automatic behaviors, not so much teach them how to swim. My kids never feared the water. Nothing replaces adequate supervision, but I highly recommend ISR.