PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Care Packages for a Widow?

California
08-14-2017, 02:33 AM
Looking for suggestions for small TLC gifts to send a new widow. A very beloved relative recently passed. His widow is a fairly young retiree, and her husband battled cancer for the past 2 1/2 years. He was in remission and they thought they were on the road to recovery- but the chemo had damaged him so much that he caught pneumonia and suddenly passed. His wife is exhausted and very fragile. She lives out of state, so I'd like to put reminders on my calendar to send her small care packages several times during the upcoming year. It's been a very hard summer and I'm drawing a blank on thoughtful gifts. I don't want to send her stuff that reminds her of him at this point- as she has specifically told me that she has to focus on the present moment and not dwell on memories, or she can't get through the day. (Though that will change with time.) Her income is going to be pretty limited. She loves the beach, eats paleo, loves her cat, sunflowers... Any ideas?

newnana
08-14-2017, 10:53 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Tea?
cat toys
activity books like sudoku, crosswords, fill ins?
puzzles?

What about certificates for things that would be fun for her to do by herself that she hasn't had the time/energy to do recently? I'm thinking things like guided tours or a painting class or all those other things you see on groupon for her area? You can look up her town for local businesses and call them to see if they would be willing to do certificates for a free class or something. There are a ton of active young retirees in my town and they have a walking book club through the library, a stitch n bitch meeting at the local quilting store, the run/walk club, the local paint and sip place has meetings for them on Wednesday nights, yoga and tai chi in the park... might be good to see if she wants to try getting out when she feels up to it.

hillview
08-14-2017, 03:03 PM
Pedicure or manicure certificate
massage certificate
audible book credit.

JElaineB
08-14-2017, 08:00 PM
Does she like cooking? You could do a Paleo meal kit, or if she doesn't like cooking send some kind of Paleo "treats" care package (though some people who eat Paleo would balk at the idea of processed treats even if they adhere to Paleo guidelines). Here are some ideas for meal kits: http://blog.paleohacks.com/paleo-meal-delivery/# Note though do not get the Beetnik foods one - they are frozen meals and are are disgusting. Surprisingly Walmart (at least in my area) carries a really good tasting brand of Paleo frozen meals called Tastefully Plated Paleo - though since they are frozen they are not offered for shipping. They are $6 each at my Walmart. I also like the idea of new cat toys also.

California
08-15-2017, 01:19 AM
Thank you for the suggestions! Lots of options here. I think she'd like all of this. I'm going to share your ideas with my kids and we'll put them on the calendar together... have a feeling they will definitely want to start with cat toys :-)