PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a shoe solution

cookiemonster198
08-15-2017, 08:54 AM
Mods- this is kind of a different question so I posted here for traffic.

Our elementary school is under construction this year and even though it's only been 2 days - pickup is a nightmare.

They don't have the carline this year, instead we have to park in a big parking lot around a quad with grass in the middle. The teachers bring out the kids and we have to check each kid out with the teacher and then trudge back through wet, muddy grass to our car.

The girls shoes are full of mud and grass by the time we get back to the car and it's just gross. They are still in car seats and it's ruining the car.

Its about 100 yds walk through the grass. I'm dreading having to do this every day this year but it is what it is.

I've been looking for some kind of over shoes I can keep in the car for them (and me!) that won't trash our every day footwear but haven't found anything.

Does anyone have any ideas about what on earth I can do?

mikala
08-15-2017, 09:11 AM
Maybe have them switch to rainboots for the walk and take off at the car. Which shoes will they wear for outside play at school?

cookiemonster198
08-15-2017, 10:16 AM
I thought about just bringing their rain boots but That will be super hard as they are carrying a gazillion things and I'm carrying half their stuff and then trying to take off their shoes and put on boots in the middle of the hullabaloo seems really hard [emoji15]

Mommy_Mea
08-15-2017, 10:29 AM
plastic bags and rubber bands to cover shoes and then take off at the car?

Mommy_Mea
08-15-2017, 10:31 AM
or something like this:

Yunko Kids Anti-slip Reusable Rain/snow Protective Zippered Slip-resistant Wear-resistant Shoes Covers Rain Shoe Covers Waterproof Shoes Overshoes Rain Boots Clear (L) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071SLSWLY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2vWKzbSY9PFNH

cookiemonster80
08-15-2017, 11:04 AM
ok- after looking at Mommy_mea's suggestion I changed my search criteria and found these-

https://workingperson.com/steel-flex-womens-pink-steel-toe-overshoes.html#specifications

These are perfect but they are too big for my kids though, and a little more than I want to pay, but I probabaly would if they were the right size. although the steel toe is a little overkill :shrug:
Has anyone seen kids versions of these??

acmom
08-15-2017, 11:07 AM
How long will this go on? If it will be a decent chunk of the school year, I might consider a cheap pair of sneakers that they wear to school while its going on that you don't worry about getting muddy and ruined. Then keep a plastic tub in the car to dump them in and a regular pair to switch to, something like slip on or crocs maybe? (or if you are just headed home, they could ride home in sock!)

Short of wearing rain boots and changing, I can't think of too many other options...

cookiemonster80
08-15-2017, 11:08 AM
it's happening all year.....:thumbsdown:

Kindra178
08-15-2017, 11:27 AM
What about just plastic grocery bags in the car? They slip off their shoes when then get in the car and put in grocery bags. They can put on slippers with a sole or vans slip on sneakers?

BananaMama
08-15-2017, 11:54 AM
How about a mat or cover to protect the car instead of changing or addressing the shoes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat?
08-15-2017, 11:57 AM
I bet you aren't the same parent with this complaint:) Is there something that the school would be willing to do that would be cheap? Throwing down a gravel path for the short walk?

If not, then agree with just having your kids take shoes off and put them in grocery bags before getting in the car and getting a couple of cheap sneakers that you can rotate for washing. I wash even our expensive sneakers in the washing machine and air dry. They don't shrink but will "tighten up" a big so maybe buy a half size larger to account for that.

BunnyBee
08-15-2017, 12:34 PM
I keep grocery sacks and trash bags in the car for muddy cleats. Just stick their feet in a sack.

lalasmama
08-15-2017, 01:14 PM
Surgical shoe covers?

mmsmom
08-15-2017, 03:39 PM
I would just take off DC's shoes before getting into car. DD does horseback riding lessons. Her riding boots are stored in a plastic bag. We put them on when she gets to barn and take them off and put them back in bag before she gets in car (She sits on edge of seat or door and I help her). I leave them in garage then bang them out to get off excess dirt before next lesson. I think this system should work for you with sneakers.

Indianamom2
08-15-2017, 05:02 PM
If you go to mrdisposable.com and search for disposable shoe covers for kids you can find a pack of 25 pairs for $12.99. They look like surgical shoe covers but in kids sizes.

american_mama
08-15-2017, 09:47 PM
I have a different suggestion. Talk to the principal about another solution. Think about in an ideal world, with the construction, how should car pickup be done differently? Think of location, timing, walking kids to/from the car, separating from walkers or bus lines, whatever. At the least, identify the problems to the principal so he or she can work on solutions.

Our car pickup line at school has changed dramatically almost every other year to make it better, including relocating walkers three times to limit the size of the crowd. One year, it was signficantly worse than before, mostly because they had a very new and passive teacher assigned to control the cars. They assigned a new person to do it who was much more active and that alone - assigning the right person with the right attitude - helped a lot.

I know I made a suggestion once to our principal, a guy I liked but definitely an up and comer. I do not remember my suggestion about the car line, but the next day a letter went home saying "As principal, I have identified areas for safety improvements in a car pickup....." and it was based on my suggestion!